No announcement yet.

Top Chin Ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- -Progressive in London's day ain't the same progressive in U Salinger, Ginsberg, and Kerouac era.

At any rate, London's promotional artistry made JJohnson the richest fighter in the history of his moment. I'm 100% certain they shared more than a few drinks at a few bars where they crossed paths.
    What makes you think London would sit and drink with Johnson?

Comment

It has to be George Chuvalo.

Anyone who takes all those huge punches without going down, then loses THREE SONS AND HIS WIFE and still keeps smiling and talking to people about how to fight back, must be the one.

Comment

Jake LaMotta deserves a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

What makes you think London would sit and drink with Johnson?
          - -London was actually quite magnanimous concerning Johnson. Johnson courted high profile white folks who could further his social status, so the two were perfect bar buddies if you understand them in their day.

Johnson walked into champion Jeffries bar in a famous encounter. Jeff didn't throw him out, and why would he? 1/3rd of his career was vs black fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- -London was actually quite magnanimous concerning Johnson. Johnson courted high profile white folks who could further his social status, so the two were perfect bar buddies if you understand them in their day.

Johnson walked into champion Jeffries bar in a famous encounter. Jeff didn't throw him out, and why would he? 1/3rd of his career was vs black fighters.
            That's interesting and not out of the realm of possibility. I came across an article years ago and posted it on AOL. It was about Johnson and Sullivan and how they hated each other. They agreed to a meeting and both sat in a room in silence until one of them started laughing about the absurdity of it all. When they came out they were laughing and had a new found respect for one another. I don't know how true it is because I haven't been able to find the article again and have looked several times.

Comment

GGG never been rocket,stopped or kd

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

well if we rank it based off of who they got hit by and what weight class. Chuvalo comes to mind and mcall.

lamotta and Hagler obviously showed insane durability, but they were always fighting guys similar in weight and size.

if we look at chuvalo or even a guy like scrapiron Johnson, or even fighters that got knocked out, but started in weight classes much lower (chavez and duran) but showed immense durability even against oponents naturally much larger.

ill go with the top hw chins tho

Chuvalo, Foreman, Mccall. All of them took massive shots from big punchers and seemingly wouldn't go down or recovered quickly.

I think qawi should get a mention, 5 ft 7 former lhw taking upper cuts from Foreman and while being stopped, not actually knocked out.

just a personal opinion; I think the farther back you go chins in boxing were generally better. My reasoning is this, like basketball which has attracted more 7 fters based on the success of height in basketball not actually because there are more 7 fters around today (theres the same amount as there was in 1920) Boxing back in the day attracted tough guys. You didnt go into boxing if you werent tough. Didn't matter if you were a good athlete, 15 rounds is a long time to not get hit.

i think even guys like Walker, Zale, Cerdan, Robinson and greb for example would probably be totally iron chinned by todays standards.

Chuvalo immediately came to my mind. 100% pure granite and naturally strong as a bull. Never knocked down in 93 bout professional career. Had Chuvalo been afforded top management and trainers, he'd have been a champion. His manager was the neighbourhood butcher, and he never had a trainer of any notoriety.

george-chuvalo1.jpg

No 1 rated chin by Fight City...

https://www.thefightcity.com/top-12-...me-best-chins/

Comment

I think Tex Cobb should be in this discussion. Especially given how well he took punishment in his fight with Earnie Shavers. With a quick google, I found that his chin had only failed him once in his whole career. But that’s only one small blemish for an otherwise really tough fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Flickergrab98 View Post
                    I think Tex Cobb should be in this discussion. Especially given how well he took punishment in his fight with Earnie Shavers. With a quick google, I found that his chin had only failed him once in his whole career. But that’s only one small blemish for an otherwise really tough fighter.
                    totally, cobb had an absolutely iron beard. Good call. I'm curious when his chin failed him and what was the scenario. was he out, was he not fighting back, did he turn his back? ref stoppage? or was he sparked. sometimes a fighters others abilities fail them, not their chin - and they lose via stoppage
                    Last edited by them_apples; 11-27-2021, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

totally, cobb had an absolutely iron beard. Good call. I'm curious when his chin failed him and what was the scenario. was he out, was he not fighting back, did he turn his back? ref stoppage? or was he sparked. sometimes a fighters others abilities fail them, not their chin - and they lose via stoppage
                      - -Saw maybe 30 sec what was grainy poorly focused hand held movie camera footage, prob 70s 8 mm videocam hardly worth watching.

This the boxrec description, and keep in mind Tex a loose cannon could've fought a few fights buzzed if nor drunk. I'd be happy if he came on here to correct my extrapolation-

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/D...._Randall_Cobb
                      them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X