No announcement yet.

Top Chin Ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- -Progressive in London's day ain't the same progressive in U Salinger, Ginsberg, and Kerouac era.

At any rate, London's promotional artistry made JJohnson the richest fighter in the history of his moment. I'm 100% certain they shared more than a few drinks at a few bars where they crossed paths.
    Your certainty is about as respected as Manson's stability.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Your certainty is about as respected as Manson's stability.
      Marilyn Manson?
      billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

I'm surprised noone mentioned Shannon Briggs. He took flush shots from Vitali for 12 solid rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

Marilyn Manson?
          Charley! Charley Manson... Drifter, opportunist, Murderer to the stars...

Comment

- - Don't think Andre the Giant was ever buzzed in his substantial exertions, even when he boxed Gorilla Monsoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

I think an iron chin is something you either have - or you don't. Just like punching power. I don't see any evidence, that either changes over time.
              Well really a chin is simply how cushioned your brain is, wether that is because of a heavier head, a stronger neck etc etc - but at the end of the day the fighter has to see the punch coming to brace for it.

Trainers, I think Atlas said a good chin in his experience is mental. Some guys just won't go down.

in my opinion though, if you learn to take a shot (ride the shot) and in general get used to being hit more (not flush) you can develop a keener sense and rarely get caught with punches you didn't at least see coming and brace for.

I know its more fun to just assume a fighters chin as a statline, but really as others stated a knockout comes from the brain whiplash. So much of a fighters "good chin" comes from being able to prevent this whiplash, getting hit or not.

We look at Ali, and the 2 men that hurt him were 190 lbs and 205 lbs. non of the bigger stronger men hurt him at any point. The smaller faster guys caught ali and he didnt see them coming. Frazier accomplished this by getting him tired first and waiting till his reflexes dulled, Cooper was likely underestimated by Ali and caught him flush.

If we can all agree that Sonny Liston hits harder than Cooper I'm sure. Cooper connected better.

Comment

Charley! Charley Manson... Drifter, opportunist, Murderer to the stars...
                He's starting to get a better rep than Marilyn

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Well really a chin is simply how cushioned your brain is, wether that is because of a heavier head, a stronger neck etc etc - but at the end of the day the fighter has to see the punch coming to brace for it.

Trainers, I think Atlas said a good chin in his experience is mental. Some guys just won't go down.

in my opinion though, if you learn to take a shot (ride the shot) and in general get used to being hit more (not flush) you can develop a keener sense and rarely get caught with punches you didn't at least see coming and brace for.

I know its more fun to just assume a fighters chin as a statline, but really as others stated a knockout comes from the brain whiplash. So much of a fighters "good chin" comes from being able to prevent this whiplash, getting hit or not.

We look at Ali, and the 2 men that hurt him were 190 lbs and 205 lbs. non of the bigger stronger men hurt him at any point. The smaller faster guys caught ali and he didnt see them coming. Frazier accomplished this by getting him tired first and waiting till his reflexes dulled, Cooper was likely underestimated by Ali and caught him flush.

If we can all agree that Sonny Liston hits harder than Cooper I'm sure. Cooper connected better.
                  A sidenote: Sonny Banks was the first to KD Clay. A left hook (as usual) right on the button:

Banks was 191 lbs.
                  Last edited by BattlingNelson; 12-01-2021, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

He's starting to get a better rep than Marilyn
                    Lol. Marilyn is off the cuff... the "naughty room" lol.

Comment

Lol. Marilyn is off the cuff... the "naughty room" lol.
                      Anorak knows a lot about that room.

Comment

Working...
                      X