No announcement yet.

Top Chin Ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Chin Ever

I consider chin the #1 quality necessary to be an ATG, but still it is only a necessary condition and not sufficient by itself. No quality is sufficient by itself, yet many are necessary to be an ATG. We see chin is not a sufficient condition because often the best chins belong to ordinary fighters rather than the highly gifted ones.

Give me one name and some reasoning. Who had the top chin ever?
    them_apples them_apples likes this.

I watched Ali fight some a boxing’s greatest hitters and all failed to stop him and he was rarely floored. The punishment he took from Frazier in fight three and the bombs he absorbed from Shavers cause me to give him the nod.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      I consider chin the #1 quality necessary to be an ATG, but still it is only a necessary condition and not sufficient by itself. No quality is sufficient by itself, yet many are necessary to be an ATG. We see chin is not a sufficient condition because often the best chins belong to ordinary fighters rather than the highly gifted ones.

I have to say "Ali." I mean he took some hellacious shots from some of the heaviest hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        I watched Ali fight some a boxing’s greatest hitters and all failed to stop him and he was rarely floored. The punishment he took from Frazier in fight three and the bombs he absorbed from Shavers cause me to give him the nod.
        Yeah but that one missing ingrediant... the bombs Ali never took, will forever haunt his legacy regarding his chin. If only he had fought Wilt the Stilt!
        The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

well if we rank it based off of who they got hit by and what weight class. Chuvalo comes to mind and mcall.

lamotta and Hagler obviously showed insane durability, but they were always fighting guys similar in weight and size.

if we look at chuvalo or even a guy like scrapiron Johnson, or even fighters that got knocked out, but started in weight classes much lower (chavez and duran) but showed immense durability even against oponents naturally much larger.

ill go with the top hw chins tho

Chuvalo, Foreman, Mccall. All of them took massive shots from big punchers and seemingly wouldn't go down or recovered quickly.

I think qawi should get a mention, 5 ft 7 former lhw taking upper cuts from Foreman and while being stopped, not actually knocked out.

just a personal opinion; I think the farther back you go chins in boxing were generally better. My reasoning is this, like basketball which has attracted more 7 fters based on the success of height in basketball not actually because there are more 7 fters around today (theres the same amount as there was in 1920) Boxing back in the day attracted tough guys. You didnt go into boxing if you werent tough. Didn't matter if you were a good athlete, 15 rounds is a long time to not get hit.

i think even guys like Walker, Zale, Cerdan, Robinson and greb for example would probably be totally iron chinned by todays standards.

Last edited by them_apples; 11-23-2021, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Oliver McCall. Never dropped, Tyson’s chief sparring f partner four years, and the man let Lennox Lewis tag him at will and he didn’t even blink lol. It doesn’t get better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
              Oliver McCall. Never dropped, Tyson’s chief sparring f partner four years, and the man let Lennox Lewis tag him at will and he didn’t even blink lol. It doesn’t get better than that.
              Def an iron chin

id say Foreman connecting with hook after hook on chuvalos head prob surpasses it though. Chuvalo also took a left hook to his cheek bone from Frazier which caved in part of his face and orbital bone causing his eye and vision to momentarily drop. He still didnt go down, but they did stop the fight

Comment

I can give you an all time great that no one can deny, yet had a fragile chin for a heavyweight..... Lennox Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Def an iron chin

id say Foreman connecting with hook after hook on chuvalos head prob surpasses it though. Chuvalo also took a left hook to his cheek bone from Frazier which caved in part of his face and orbital bone causing his eye and vision to momentarily drop. He still didnt go down, but they did stop the fight
                  Got to check this warrior out

Comment

- -Interesting the OP has no opinion in his open ended question.

Ollie McCall ain't never been buzzed or put down in spite of the heavy punching era he was in and he fought near till 50.

James J Jeffries had that reputation until making his ill fated comeback vs JJohnson, a fight I think he could've won had he not been so incessant on starving himself down to his former fighting weight on a diet that would have a 5 yr old kid crying out in hunger.

Comment

Working...
                    X