Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto Beats Down Martinez, Makes History at MSG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a performance by Cotto. Truly a fighters champion. I had Cotto winning. Only one in my house rooting for him...

Comment

• Many people didn't gave Cotto a chance, he was the underdog with Martinez a 2 to 1 favorite yet now that Cotto has won excuses are raining, moreover, if Cotto would have lost then the lines would've been like Cotto was to little, he didn't have the power, he lost to an old man, etc. etc... He won, he looked great and he did want he was suppose to do and that is to fight and win. Cotto vs Mayweather 2. Hell with Canelo and any other fighter. Cotto and Mayweather don't have that much time left to waste chasing others with little to offer, it's about the $$$$$$ and a second fight will do just that lots of more $$$$$.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
        This wasn't even close. Martinez landed a few jabs, and one good lead left. Cotto fought perfectly, cleanly, and powerfully. He was faster, stronger, and smarter.

All the people who predicted a Martinez victory in a big way: take a bite of that dry, dirty bird. Don't make the excuses in hindsight - many of you thought he'd be too big, too fast, and too strong.

Don't take anything away from how spectacular Cotto looked out there.
        Best post all night!

Green K!

Comment

• On a side note. Did anyone catch the mood in the english team? Holy depression batman. Dude in the middle was on the verge of tears.

Truth be told it's always extremely depressing when you see a great fighter no longer able to perform. I have their same expression after every Roy Jones fight...

I want to be happy for Cotto but it's bittersweet. Sergio was the peoples champ, the dude who had to deal with everything wrong about the sport (promoters, politics, crazy rehydrations, stripped of titles, bad calls, robberies, etc etc) and always pulled through for us fans with great class and heart and made it to the top and stayed there despite his size and age.

Hope he doesnt pull a Roy and sticks around to ruin our weekends while he gets highlight reeled..

Comment

• Great win for cotto.. He is the new lineal champ at mw... He looked terrific tonight.

Serg had no answer for the left hook, cotto hit him at will with it.

Comment

• Roach was right Martinez had no legs and it worked out for cotto. Cotto better retire cause ggg is going to bring the pain

Comment

• Mayweather can surely move up to MW and fight Cotto, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by keyz3r0 View Post
                  I'm not saying Cotto doesn't deserve some 'kind' of credit. But let's be truthful.. Those knees made it an unfair contest from the get go. If you disagree you're not being REAL. (and I hate Martinez) but I don't think it was a fair fight.
                  You know what was unfair......that left hook that the NEW MW Champion of the World King Cotto landed on the first round. Sergio never recovered.

Now, be a good boy and give props when props are due.

Comment

• I'm ignoring all excuses for Martinez...

Martinez said himself that he never recovered from that first left hook that hurt him... end of story...

Comment

• You guys know Cotto is not a MW. He knows this. Just got an opportunity to fight a smaller, injured MW for a tittle and gambled. He weighted 155 anyways, he's not going to 160 or fight a guy that will get into the ring 20 lbs heavier than him. That's called a smart businness decision.

Remember when Roy Jones went up to HW to get John Ruiz's title? Exactly the same situation. A not-so-good, not-so-big champion ready for the taking. Did he fight Lennox afterwards?

Now with this new approach, I'd love to see a Cotto-Canelo fight. Now that Oscar can negotiate with Arum, it looks like it may be happening soon....

Comment

Working...
                      X