Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto Beats Down Martinez, Makes History at MSG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth Martinez has very bad defense and stylistically not a good match up for Miguel Cotto who was rejuvenated by Freddie Roach. The body punch and fighting in the inside style of Miguel Cotto will always creates problem for Martinez.

Comment

• I didn't think Cotto could do it, I thought Martinez would beat him down.

Awesome job, I eat my words. He deserves all the praise and credit he gets, Martinez was a LEGIT champion and a top tier fighter. Good job.

Comment

• As people may know, I've been a long time Cotto fan. Martinez couldn't move for ****, part of me thought that after 2-3 rounds Martinez would be warmed up and this would be a close fight. Cotto putting him on the canvas early completely ****ed up any chance of Martinez getting into this fight. Wonderful job Cotto. True warrior

Comment

• skills pay the bills, talent can only get u so far, serg is a good fighter and a beast but he hasnt really fought anyone who is an elite boxer, people sleep on cottos skills... u cant bring up the excuse of the knee he stepped in the ring and did alot of sh-it talking before the fight, he got his azz beat, thats it thats all

Congrats Cotto!!!!

Comment

• Entertaining fights. Boxing strikes again! Next week we'll have Provo, but I'll be curious about the Gamboa fight.

Comment

• I'm talking about how overrated Sergio is. Cotto beat him in every aspect of the fight. Sergio is not on the level. And every one gassed him up. Overrated! The knee didn't matter I have been saying it check my old post!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughts View Post
                He had no answer for the left hook. Even the Martinez that beat Pavlik and Williams would have got hit with it. Sergio's defense is shlt.
                He wouldn't get hit the same way he did tonight. Sergio didn't have a conventional defense. He used lateral movement and he doesn't have the capacity to seamlessly cover distance and turn his opponent. He'd get hit far less and be able to pull the trigger in a way he couldn't tonight. Cotto is good enough to always push Martinez... but several years ago and Martinez would've lead him into a crushing left hand eventually.

Sergio has aged and with a style like his that's always going to leave him completely vulnerable. It's not an excuse it's just reality.

Comment

• I'm a HUGE Cotto fan, but I couldn't enjoy the victory. I'm sad for Maravilla. He was amazing to watch, he's class personified after that post fight interview. No excuses. Sad, sad day. Wish he could have gone out a champion. Happy for Cotto too. Bittersweet.

Comment

• Martinez was taken out in the 1st round and hung in as long as he could. He looked shot but maybe he just couldn't recover. I didn't think he would make it out of the 1st or maybe past the 2nd. He should hang it up. I was kind of shocked TBO.

Comment

• Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
                      That was definitely not the same Martinez that beat Pavlik and Williams, but Cotto still did a very good job in there. Props to him for taking the chance to make history. Lets see if Mayweather still considers Martinez too big. lol
                      from martinez mouth "i got caught cold in the first round and could never regain my balance back from it. period point blank" in martinez words it had nothing to do with his knees.........to me he looked the same as with macklin barker & the first willaims fight.

cotto timed martinez and never followed him around the ring (pavlik followed martinez all night long) cotto and pavlik are 2 totally different fighters. first thing. cotto has brilliant timing, he has quick hands and he does not follow you around the ring (he's more of a puzzle with high fundamentals) pavlik is a plodder. so is chavez jr.............very slow fighters with hardly any athleticism to keep up with martinez (why are you guys comparing these fighters to cotto? cotto is obviously on another level)

Comment

Working...
                      X