Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sick and tired of people saying a fighter is overrated. Like Rocky Liston Ali just to name a few. I think Roy Jones jr is overrated. He fought part time fighters who should have never got a title shot. He fought a Policeman and guy who worked on a trash truck and a few others. When Jones fought HBO rating were very high. So they protected there golden goose. No one says Jones is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig1 View Post
      I'm so sick and tired of people saying a fighter is overrated. Like Rocky Liston Ali just to name a few. I think Roy Jones jr is overrated. He fought part time fighters who should have never got a title shot. He fought a Policeman and guy who worked on a trash truck and a few others. When Jones fought HBO rating were very high. So they protected there golden goose. No one says Jones is overrated.
      I don't get this, you literally write, "I'm so sick and tired of people saying a fighter is overrated." And then write, "...Roy Jones jr is overrated."

So are you really so sick of people saying a fighter is overrated, or just them saying it about fighters you disagree with? Is it the action of claiming a fighter is overrated that bothers you, because if so there appears to be hypocrisy.

FWIW- I've heard plenty of people say RJJ is overrated- heck I probably have heard every boxer be referred to as overrated. Its kind of a fruitless venture, as nobody really establishes whose rating we are using (general public, pretentious historians, crusty old guys, young hipsters, etc). And usually we just tear down our straw men in the process.
      MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

I don't get this, you literally write, "I'm so sick and tired of people saying a fighter is overrated." And then write, "...Roy Jones jr is overrated."

So are you really so sick of people saying a fighter is overrated, or just them saying it about fighters you disagree with? Is it the action of claiming a fighter is overrated that bothers you, because if so there appears to be hypocrisy.

FWIW- I've heard plenty of people say RJJ is overrated- heck I probably have heard every boxer be referred to as overrated. Its kind of a fruitless venture, as nobody really establishes whose rating we are using (general public, pretentious historians, crusty old guys, young hipsters, etc). And usually we just tear down our straw men in the process.
        keep in mind I was high at the time. you are right sir. Marciano was before my time. I remember Liston and Ali. These two are far from overrated. Same goes for Joe Frazier. Frazier wiped out the HW division before he fought Ali. Liston did the same.

Comment

keep in mind I was high at the time. you are right sir. Marciano was before my time. I remember Liston and Ali. These two are far from overrated. Same goes for Joe Frazier. Frazier wiped out the HW division before he fought Ali. Liston did the same.
          No sweat homie, enjoy yourself. Just trying to clarify
          mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Well then the best thing you can do is to 'just say no' - then FedEx the rest to me.
            mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Well then the best thing you can do is to 'just say no' - then FedEx the rest to me.
              I wish I could. You would love this stuff very much.
              Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
                name one natural 200+pound fighter with some skill who he beat? exactly none.
                yeah but what you don't understand is in his era, smaller heavyweights were actually the best guys around. if you look at their records, even the light heavyweights, he had KO wins over huge fighters - 6'3-6'5 220+ lbs, they just weren't as quality as a guy like ezzard charles.

Rocky is overated in the sense when he compare resumes. I think in the ring, he hammers a lot of fighters to the canvas. He's not the guy you want to stand in front of. And before anyone goes on about him being to small at 188 lbs, well guess what he was small in his day they said the same thing - but look how strong he was against 215lb Joe Louis, although old, but that doesn't change the fact that a 188 lbs man was much stronger than a 215 lb man. And considering most heavyweights are actually just fat guys now - I doubt he would have much trouble with them. He's way too hard of a man.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

yeah but what you don't understand is in his era, smaller heavyweights were actually the best guys around. if you look at their records, even the light heavyweights, he had KO wins over huge fighters - 6'3-6'5 220+ lbs, they just weren't as quality as a guy like ezzard charles.

Rocky is overated in the sense when he compare resumes. I think in the ring, he hammers a lot of fighters to the canvas. He's not the guy you want to stand in front of. And before anyone goes on about him being to small at 188 lbs, well guess what he was small in his day they said the same thing - but look how strong he was against 215lb Joe Louis, although old, but that doesn't change the fact that a 188 lbs man was much stronger than a 215 lb man. And considering most heavyweights are actually just fat guys now - I doubt he would have much trouble with them. He's way too hard of a man.
                  - - Archie Moore fought and beat prime bigger men than Rocky, in fact beating Big Cubano Nino Valdez in an unofficial Peoples Eliminator for the right to fight Rocky.

Joe Louis a very underrated win for Rocky was the only "Big Man" he ever beat. And so what? Rocky would've fought Valdez but for Moore getting there first, but like you said, overall his was a small era and nothing wrong with that save moderns not understanding history.
                  Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Lol Rocky Marciano fanboys are the most brain dead, biased and clueless pretend boxing fans out there. They love to bring up that Marciano retired undefeated. Well if you only fought old men, bums, and mob controlled fighters you could retire undefeated as well. Marciano was 180 pounds. His brain dead little fanboys can't grasp that is no longer considered a heavyweight. Marciano would be destroyed by any half way decent 200 pound fighter from the 1960's to this day. Hell I doubt Marciano could beat any half way decent cruiser weight.

Comment

Originally posted by eyebgooglingmyself View Post
                      Lol Rocky Marciano fanboys are the most brain dead, biased and clueless pretend boxing fans out there. They love to bring up that Marciano retired undefeated. Well if you only fought old men, bums, and mob controlled fighters you could retire undefeated as well. Marciano was 180 pounds. His brain dead little fanboys can't grasp that is no longer considered a heavyweight. Marciano would be destroyed by any half way decent 200 pound fighter from the 1960's to this day. Hell I doubt Marciano could beat any half way decent cruiser weight.
                      Anybody want to venture a guess at who's alt this is?
                      Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X