This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone forgets Vitali was nearly Furys height at 6 ft 8

Everyone keeps going on about Furys size, Vitali was nearly Furys height only fitter, stronger, better chin and comparable if not better skills. Its his lack of charisma that failed him. Fury created a rivalry with Wilder because of his personality traits.
    earl_grey earl_grey likes this.

I thought Vitali was only 6'7". Not to mention he gives up 5 inches in reach (another measurement pertinent to size of a fighter). Mix those two in, and then factor in Fury is a better mover and the difficulties become apparent.

This isnt to dismiss your claims about Vitali being stronger, fitter, and a better chin. Its just to point out the dilemma Fury causes: he's bigger than everyone, and moves as well as most of his opponents. Most of these big guys have been fighting big their whole life, and they have been trained to use their height and reach to their advantage. Problem is, when they meet someone who has more height and reach it creates a problem; add in his movement only exasperates these issues.

Certainly, a fighter could do work against Fury on the inside, but most of these guys who have fought as the big guy on the outside all their lives have little experience fighting that way. So when they do get close, Fury just holds/smothers/leans on them, and negates them. All these big guys (Vitali included) tend to want to fight big, which is good, until there is someone bigger.

Comment

Vitaly never wanted the toughest fights, Fury does. To me, THAT is what truly seperates them. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
        I thought Vitali was only 6'7". Not to mention he gives up 5 inches in reach (another measurement pertinent to size of a fighter). Mix those two in, and then factor in Fury is a better mover and the difficulties become apparent.

This isnt to dismiss your claims about Vitali being stronger, fitter, and a better chin. Its just to point out the dilemma Fury causes: he's bigger than everyone, and moves as well as most of his opponents. Most of these big guys have been fighting big their whole life, and they have been trained to use their height and reach to their advantage. Problem is, when they meet someone who has more height and reach it creates a problem; add in his movement only exasperates these issues.

Certainly, a fighter could do work against Fury on the inside, but most of these guys who have fought as the big guy on the outside all their lives have little experience fighting that way. So when they do get close, Fury just holds/smothers/leans on them, and negates them. All these big guys (Vitali included) tend to want to fight big, which is good, until there is someone bigger.
        There needs to be statistics on this stuff from large participant pools. I notice sometimes also these guys that fight tall actually make easy work of someone taller than them, take Foreman for example, or Ali. They not only beat the taller fighters easier but also seemed to be a bit more agressive.

Then we got Lewis looking terrible vs Vitali, but also dont forget how out of gas and old he was as well. In that for or a fight in an earlier time I think Lewis could have got Vitali out of there. Coulda been a rivalry

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Everyone keeps going on about Furys size, Vitali was nearly Furys height only fitter, stronger, better chin and comparable if not better skills. Its his lack of charisma that failed him. Fury created a rivalry with Wilder because of his personality traits.
          - -Both the Ks, esp Wlad made more career $$$ than Fury who has never packed out a stadium fight in his history and had to flee the UK after AJ took over the helm.

Like Foreman, it was difficult to create a rivalry when the rival win/lose/draw gets beat up so badly he's never the same fighter.

Deyonce was always low hanging fruit the other legit contenders were targeting, but Fury got there first and the rest ugly heavyweight history. Now Fury is low hanging fruit as he took hellacious punishment in that trilogy.

Comment

The big red had nowhere near Fury's foxiness or adaptability.

Comment

I don't think Vitali's skills were better or even comparable.

Comment

Fair point, and, Fury's just now learning **** Vitali already mastered by the time he was WBC champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  Fair point, and, Fury's just now learning **** Vitali already mastered by the time he was WBC champion.
                  Ah, good point as well. And agreed on the charisma. So much so that Tyson Fury got to spend some time in WWE, getting booked to knock out strongman Adam Scherr, who used to play Braun Strowman in WWE and is now with Impact Wrestling, then later teamed up with him on Smackdown. Popped a pretty good rating for them the times he was on SD and brought more fans to the subscription PPV to WWE Network.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

Ah, good point as well. And agreed on the charisma. So much so that Tyson Fury got to spend some time in WWE, getting booked to knock out strongman Adam Scherr, who used to play Braun Strowman in WWE and is now with Impact Wrestling, then later teamed up with him on Smackdown. Popped a pretty good rating for them the times he was on SD and brought more fans to the subscription PPV to WWE Network.
                    Impact got Strowman? **** me sideway I had thought they closed down shortly after Jeff Jarret took over. To be honest, I never gave enough ****s to look up if he actually owned impact or was a kayfabe owner.

I'll have to check that ol' **** show out again. For a period Impact or TNA or whatever it was called was pretty decent. I thought AEW was grabbing all the talent WWE was cutting. It's kind of interesting Impact is still in the game. At least one pretty big name and really big man.

Comment

Working...
                    X