No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    'I'm scared when I'm doing nothing. If I'm not working then I'm scared. That's very frightening.'
    - Mike Tyson
    "I try not to take too much interest in my personal life." Mike Tyson

I posted this earlier but I repeat it here because it seems like there might be a connection between the two quotes.

My quote came during an intetview regarding Robib Givens - I brust out laughing when I heard him say the oxymoronic remark - but at the same time one can see how hard training and zone like focus on an upcoming fight can be a way to hide emtionally from the world.

Comment

• "No. No. But don't talk about taking my side piece, doe. You don't get laid. You don't get laid!"

-Pauli Malignaggi

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Every time someone mentions Joe Louis, my nose starts to bleed...Tommy Farr...

https://boxrec.com/en/event/13647/19818
        Always liked this quote.

Comment

• Not a boxer, but Larry Merchant saying to Vernon Forrest after beating Shane Mosley - "just because you beat Tiger Woods does not make you Tiger Woods"

Comment

• Originally posted by markusmod View Post
            Not a boxer, but Larry Merchant saying to Vernon Forrest after beating Shane Mosley - "just because you beat Tiger Woods does not make you Tiger Woods"
            I think in boxing it does make you "Tiger Woods" - often in boxing you only have to prove yourself once. Teofimo Lopez in one night took all that Lomachecko was.

Maybe it's because I find Merchant obnoxious - in the Chavez-Taylor fight he refused to call the knock down. HBO wanted to work with Dan Duva not Don King so all night long they dissed Chevez and exaggerated Taylor's prowess- when Taylor went down Merchant refuse to get excited and while Steele was counting all he would say is "if Taylor gets up he wins the fight." He never called the KD.

I was so happy when Tyson told him to F off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I think in boxing it does make you "Tiger Woods" - often in boxing you only have to prove yourself once. Teofimo Lopez in one night took all that Lomachecko was.

Maybe it's because I find Merchant obnoxious - in the Chavez-Taylor fight he refused to call the knock down. HBO wanted to work with Dan Duva not Don King so all night long they dissed Chevez and exaggerated Taylor's prowess- when Taylor went down Merchant refuse to get excited and while Steele was counting all he would say is "if Taylor gets up he wins the fight." He never called the KD.

I was so happy when Tyson told him to F off.
              Larry said that to Forrest, because Forrest said "they said Mosley was P4P 1, I beat him so that makes me pound-for-pound number 1"
              Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

• 'Remember - he laughs last who hits hardest.'

- Jack Dempsey

Comment

• 'You can’t imagine what it was like to be the first Jamaican world champion. That means everything to me. That was the best feeling to know that you are the first world champion boxer in Jamaica.'
                  - Mike McCallum

Comment

• 'A new champion had arrived and his name was Jack Johnson. I had attained my life's ambition. The little Galveston colored boy had defeated the world's champion boxer and, for the first and only time in history, a black man held one of the greatest honors which exists in the field of sports and athletics - an honor for which white men had contested many times and which they held as a dear and most desirable one. To me, it was not a racial triumph, but there were those who were to take this view of the situation, and almost immediately a great hue and cry went up because a colored man was holding the championship.'
                    - Jack Johnson

Comment

• 'Just because a kid looks good in sparring doesn't mean he's the real McCoy. When you spar, it's with oversize gloves and protective headgear. And the fact that a guy looks like Superman in sparring doesn't mean he won't freeze up when it's the real deal - when the lights are on and the crowd is screaming for blood.'
                      - Larry Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X