No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    'I'd been in fights all my life with tough guys; tough guys generally couldn't fight. But Frazier was as tough a boxer as ever wore the championship belt. While most fighters were like walls with holes in them here and there. Joe Frazier was a brick wall with no cracks. He had a certain rhythm in the ring. He rolled with the hard shots, like Pac-Man eating them up. If you hurt him, he liked it. And if you missed, he got mad.'
    - George Foreman
    Honestly, I find it a little odd that he talked up Frazier so much. I mean, I don't doubt that he meant it, and if anyone could speak on it, it would be him. But he pretty much annihilated Frazier.

Comment

• " I don't mean to downplay Dempsey, he's a great hitter and a great fighter, but the best hitter I ever saw was Maher. When Peter hit them they went down and stayed down like a dead fish." - Corbett

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
        " I don't mean to downplay Dempsey, he's a great hitter and a great fighter, but the best hitter I ever saw was Maher. When Peter hit them they went down and stayed down like a dead fish." - Corbett
        No one can stand reading longer posts on the internet. Posts should be short and concise.

However:
        https://thegruelingtruth.com/boxing/...irish-tribute/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post

No one can stand reading longer posts on the internet. Posts should be short and concise.

However:
          Na- they should be all lengths; all opinions; all temperaments.

Stop playing internet(s') police.

Maher article is ok - Thanks!

Comment

However:
            Shelton's one of my favorite historical boxing authors, thanks for this bud.

Comment

• 'I learned from all my opponents. When I was in the ring, my opponent was a teacher.'
              - Jack Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Na- they should be all lengths; all opinions; all temperaments.

Stop playing internet(s') police.

Maher article is ok - Thanks!
                You missunderstood me. I enjoy longer articles, myself (like the Maher one).
                Though, my experience (especially from other forums) is that people often don’t take the time to read
                a full article (or even one-quarter of it) if it’s long, before commenting.

For some reasons, the net makes people impatient, with this tendency to rush from one headline to another.
                Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

You missunderstood me. I enjoy longer articles, myself (like the Maher one).
                  Though, my experience (especially from other forums) is that people often don’t take the time to read
                  a full article (or even one-quarter of it) if it’s long, before commenting.

For some reasons, the net makes people impatient, with this tendency to rush from one headline to another.
                  That's because most longer articles are boring and take forever to get to the point. That's also why I hate when anyone answers a question of mine with a long winded answer the size of an essay or a link to an article the size of a legal document. Get to the f****n point.

Comment

• When Leonard told him (Duran) in New York, "I'm going to kill you", he made a grave mistake, Duran's octogenerian trainer, Ray Arcel, told Baltimore sportswriter Alan Goldstein. "If he had said that to Roberto in the street, Mr Leonard would still be stretched out in an alley".
                    JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

• I was six foot one inch when I started fighting, but with all the uppercuts I'm up to six foot five inches. ~ Chuck Wepner
                      JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X