Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always carried a small American flag red white and blue with me so people would know I was from America. - George Foreman
    50 years later when asked if he would of done anything differently George Foreman said "If I had to do it all over again, I would have had two Flags"

Comment

• 'I don't care what you heard about me being modest - I wasn't. I was just as vain as Muhammad Ali. I just had to be more discreet about it.'
      - Joe Louis

Comment

• 'Do what you have to do to take care of it. Develop a good work ethic. What helped me a lot is the fact that I have a very short neck. If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot.'
        - George Chuvalo

Comment

• 'Once that bell rings you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.'

- Joe Louis

Comment

• 'I learned pretty quick that bigger, older guys really couldn’t fight a lick. I’d make ‘em miss a few times, move around, play it smart. . . . Pretty soon, they’d fall down.'

- Jack Dempsey

Comment

• 'Practically all my life I've felt like a guy trying to climb a glass mountain - I would climb two steps up and then slide four steps back. When I was in boxing I fought many years longer than I should have had to before I got a shot at the Light-Heavyweight Title. And the same thing happened when I went after the Heavyweight Championship. I scratched and clawed my way up that glass mountain until I could almost touch the peak with my outstretched fingertips. And you know, it was like a bad dream where you're trying to reach something but never can.'
              - Archie Moore

Comment

• 'There are no survivors in my fights.'
                - Gennady Golovkin

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  'Do what you have to do to take care of it. Develop a good work ethic. What helped me a lot is the fact that I have a very short neck. If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot.'
                  - George Chuvalo
                  Reminds me of that Stone Cold Steve Austin like when he'd say to an opponent "that stack of dimes you call a neck"
                  The D3vil The D3vil likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    'I learned pretty quick that bigger, older guys really couldn’t fight a lick. I’d make ‘em miss a few times, move around, play it smart. . . . Pretty soon, they’d fall down.'

- Jack Dempsey
                    Dempsey actually said "older" when he made that statement?

That seems such an odd thing for him to say.

Willard was in his 30s but Fulton, Firpo, and Smith wouldn't be considred old. You sure you got that quote correct it sounds like a quiet disrespect slipped in to diminish Dempsey's accomplishments.

The quote I have always encountered is: "Tall men come down to my size when I hit them in the body."

But then again maybe he did say it, just seems an odd word for him to include. Or maybe he meant old time fighting style? Fighters don't usually diss their own victories like that.

Do you have the source for that quote? The only phrase that sounds like Dempsey is 'fight a lick'
                    Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 06-04-2021, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• 'My earliest days were the simplest. I was not yet in my teens when I hopped a freight and set out for New York to see Steve Brodie, my hero. After riding all night in the bumping boxcar, I unloaded the next morning. The place looked familiar to me. It should have. I discovered I'd been riding around the railroad yards all night as the train was being made up!'
                      - Jack Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X