No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    'Punches are given, punches are taken. This is boxing. This is the life. And in life I have taken a lot of punches, really many. But I would do it again, as long as all the punches I took served to get my children an education.'
    - Primo Carnera
    That’s a wonderful quote. I’ve known Primo’s career since I was a kid. One of the most impressive old time physiques. I guess it’s none of my business but it’d still be nice to hear all the best classiest stories about boxers over the years.
    Rockin' Rockin' JAB5239 JAB5239 like this.

Comment

• Tyson when interviewed by Jim Gray:

“I broke my back,” said Tyson. Gray responded, “What do you mean by that?”

Tyson answered, “My back is broken.” Again, a bemused Gray quizzed Tyson by asking, “A vertebrae or what portion?

Unbelievably, Tyson uttered the immortal words, “SPINAL.” Then stating that a motorcycle accident caused it.​
      The D3vil The D3vil JAB5239 JAB5239 like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Post some of your favorite quotes from boxers. There are so many great ones, but I'll start with this one I found today.

'There's too much violence in the world, most of it perpetrated on me by Sugar Ray Robinson.'

- Jake LaMotta
        I'm dyin'

x6hUMeY.gif
        JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post

That’s a wonderful quote. I’ve known Primo’s career since I was a kid. One of the most impressive old time physiques. I guess it’s none of my business but it’d still be nice to hear all the best classiest stories about boxers over the years.
          "Don't judge me by the clothes I wear,judge me by the clothes my children wear." Dick Tiger.

Comment

• James Toney dominating Jim Gray in an interview after the Holyfield-Toney fight. Jim never had a chance. “Don’t come up here and try to give me no badass questions,” James warned Gray before knocking the mic out of Gray’s hands..
            JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by markusmod View Post
              James Toney dominating Jim Gray in an interview after the Holyfield-Toney fight. Jim never had a chance. “Don’t come up here and try to give me no badass questions,” James warned Gray before knocking the mic out of Gray’s hands..
              - - Only time I ever liked Toney!
              Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Only time I ever liked Toney!
                Damn right!
                Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

• A young Ray Leonard faced Andy Price, who beat both Cuevas and Palomino(the current champs). Leonard destroyed Price in the first round. After the fight they asked Leonard about the ko and Ray responded, "I appreciate when my opponent cooperates."

Not sure if is an exact quote but close enough.

Comment

• - - Kovalev in last prefight presser vs Popkins, who in his beginnings would come out in oversized men's briefs with eyes cut out in his gradeschool Executioner days, now adopting his "Alien" costume attire, and after having enduring incessant prefight Popkins diarrhea, announced that he "would be sending Alien to the moon, and that if he wanted to go to Mars he'd have to do it on his own."

Comment

• "The boxers today do not know how to fight," says Forbes. "In the old days, when the bell clanged for the beginning of a bout, the boxers did not get together like a couple of engines in a head-on collision. They sparred around a bit and tried to figure out the other fellow. When they saw an opening they led. They didn't rush into clinches and try to cave in the other fellow's ribs with inside blows or try to crack his neck with smashes to the base of his brain. That isn't fighting."The fighter today believes that endurance is the thing. He studies and hardens himself for the purpose of being able to take a beating and be classed as a 'good, game, willing fellow.' The old fighter was a boxer, who seldom wanted a punch. He studied generalship and the art of landing punches that would prove effective. A fighter trained in the old days to be able to land effectively from any angle, and when they did hit, every blow carried a sting with it."The wearing of bandages is a later day trick. I seldom wore them. When I did it was the only time that I ever hurt my hands. The present day fighter resorts to bandages because he thinks the chances of injuring his hands are lessened when he cracks an opponent with a misdirected punch on the head or elbow. But that's just where that fighter is wrong. Bandages are of little or no use. When they are put on they fit snugly. As a fight progresses they tighten up and the fighter finds it impossible to close his fist tightly. Then when he lands a punch it's with a half-closed fist, and the result is a dislocated joint or a broken hand. The bandages do not add to the power of a punch unless they are built of concrete or some other hard material."

- Harry Forbes, Former World Bantamweight Champion, 86-17-26, November 22, 1911.

Comment

Working...
                      X