Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right.'
    - Muhammad Ali

Comment

• 'I've had my fling at the title. I was Champion for four years and I assure you that they'll never have to give a benefit for me. I have invested the money I have made.'
      - Jess Willard

Comment

• 'I will defend my title against all comers, none barred. By this I mean white, black, Mexican, Indian, or any other nationality. I propose to be the champion of the world, not the white, or the Canadian, or the American. If I am not the best man in the heavyweight division, I don't want the title.'
        - Tommy Burns
        The D3vil The D3vil likes this.

Comment

• 'The bigger they are, the harder they fall.'

- Bob Fitzsimmons

Comment

• "My punches are just as hard in Chicago as in New York."
            —Sonny Liston

Comment

• "...if I survived the Marines, I can survive Ali."
              —Chuck Wepner

Comment

• "The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income."
                —George Foreman

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  'I've had my fling at the title. I was Champion for four years and I assure you that they'll never have to give a benefit for me. I have invested the money I have made.'
                  - Jess Willard
                  He busted out like everyone else - Dempsey tried to give him a gig as a spokesperson for his bourbon whiskey - Willard screwed that up big time.

He did a commercial for Dempsey's booze Jack Dempsey's Bourbon Wiskey ; three days later Willard walks into a New York bar unaware that there were sports writers sitting in ear shot.

Willard asked the bartender for a bourbon - the bartender wanting to play along said in a loud voice "Will that be a Jack Dempsey bourbon?" Willard growled back "Not that crap, give me the good stuff."

The press boys had fun with that in the papers the next day, and the day after that Dempsey had to sack Willard.

P.S. Dempsey would say later " He didn't stay with long the first time either."
                  Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 06-05-2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

He busted out like everyone else - Dempsey tried to give him a gig as a spokesperson for his bourbon whiskey - Willard screwed that up big time.

He did a commercial for Dempsey's booze Jack Dempsey's Bourbon Wiskey ; three days later Willard walks into a New York bar unaware that there were sports writers sitting in ear shot.

Willard asked the bartender for a bourbon - the bartender wanting to play along said in a loud voice "Will that be a Jack Dempsey bourbon?" Willard growled back "Not that crap, give me the good stuff."

The press boys had fun with that in the papers the next day, and the day after that Dempsey had to sack Willard.

P.S. Dempsey would say later " He didn't stay with long the first time either."
                    Nice piece of knowledge. Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

• 'That's my gift. I let that negativity roll off me like water off a duck's back. If it's not positive, I didn't hear it. If you can overcome that, fights are easy.'

- George Foreman

Comment

Working...
                      X