Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'I grew up in a very poor area. I mean in a poverty-stricken area. The greatest thing that ever happened to me was that I was able to find boxing. Growing up the way that I grew up, it’s just showed me that if you ever make it to the top or whatever like that, the one thing that you got to learn is that you really didn’t do it by yourself and that what you should do is to give something back.'
    - Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Comment

• Not from boxers per-se but from a pre-boxing sport that lent Figg his first international fighter in 1728. You could call it boxing but I've found no connection between it and the roman pyx as you do with Figg era and pyx.

Anyway, these dudes was dueling on a bridge for honor. This is what they said:

Here on the bridge of the Servi the first to jump up were Tota and Giagia
      Men, one could say, with nerves of steel.
      Giagia, the Gnatto, to provoke his rival said to him " You are leaping around like a deer. What's wrong with you? Does your stomach feel queer?"
      Tota, who had more heart than a dragon spitting, called back "Lick my ass while I'm ****ting"
      Responded the Nicolotto " I'll lick your rear with a six-foot pole you two-penny rascal of a pitch-eater"
      "keep on prattling and you will get a beating or maybe a black eye you no account crab catcher"
      "Come up here wretch" says Tota "And we'll have a little fighting just us two"
      Giagia "Let's go! I am allready, what are you waiting for someone to play us a tune?"

1521 this happened....or so my book claims.

Comment

• "I thought I was the best ever! Then I stepped up and got my ass kicked; then I stepped up four more times and got whooped again. It saddened, yet humbled me. I learned to know my place. Buster, Evan, the Brixton Bomber, McBride, and the Canadian guy, they are all better than me."

Mike Tyson

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          Not from boxers per-se but from a pre-boxing sport that lent Figg his first international fighter in 1728. You could call it boxing but I've found no connection between it and the roman pyx as you do with Figg era and pyx.

Anyway, these dudes was dueling on a bridge for honor. This is what they said:

Here on the bridge of the Servi the first to jump up were Tota and Giagia
          Men, one could say, with nerves of steel.
          Giagia, the Gnatto, to provoke his rival said to him " You are leaping around like a deer. What's wrong with you? Does your stomach feel queer?"
          Tota, who had more heart than a dragon spitting, called back "Lick my ass while I'm ****ting"
          Responded the Nicolotto " I'll lick your rear with a six-foot pole you two-penny rascal of a pitch-eater"
          "keep on prattling and you will get a beating or maybe a black eye you no account crab catcher"
          "Come up here wretch" says Tota "And we'll have a little fighting just us two"
          Giagia "Let's go! I am allready, what are you waiting for someone to play us a tune?"

1521 this happened....or so my book claims.
          Lil, do who won the duel?

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

The thread about reading Italian is linked to this.

This book is frustrating as hell because it has information but only shares what the subject of the chapter is. Those quotes come from a part of the book covering bravado. The author quoted the back and forth and moved on to other versions of bravado without even mention winning or losing.

To find out who won I need to gather the source material and translate it from 1500s italian. Which, I will do or at least attemt, by-and-by. I've not yet finished with the book. I read it, but only once, and expected a glossary but there is none. ATM I'm susing out the difference between li honorati, padrini, capo, vecchio, and champion. I'll surely let you know when I cross Tota and Giagia again.
            JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Hahahahahahahaha

Comment

• 'I don't make a living fighting for free, and I don't fight in the streets. The only people who fight in the streets are hoodlums.'
                - Jack Dempsey

Comment

• 'You know, it's a funny thing. Those crowds, those autographs, having everybody say, 'Hey, Robinson,' being somebody, it gets you. Some people can't understand that. And you know one day it's got to go. Boxing is a young man's game.'
                  - Sugar Ray Robinson

Comment

• 'It takes a little insanity to step in that ring. The first time I did it, I was eight years old, scared as hell. It's different than a fights in the streets, because in the streets you can run. In those four squares there's nowhere to go, and that's frightening. I was a quiet, shy kid. You'd never have thought I'd be a boxer. But that ring brings out the best and worst in people. I was a different person in there. I became alive.'
                    - Sugar Ray Leonard

Comment

• 'For me, there's no sensation in the world that can match the feeling of going into battle with another high-performance athlete at world-class level. It feels amazing because I know I've done all the work, I'm where I'm supposed to be, and it's all down to me to make history.'
                      - Tyson Fury

Comment

Working...
                      X