No announcement yet.

Should Fury stop Usyk....How Great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elfag View Post

So what youre saying is wlad cant adjust during the fight, but then you grand him an imaginary hypothetical win in the rematch. lmao
    Based.

Wlad was what he was, mechanical, if he couldn't set up his jab and clinch then most of his game was taken away from him.

Great fighter against certain styles but definatley not against Fury's weird, unpredictable herky jerky with superior reach and bigger to nullify the clinch.

In his next fight against AJ he only even got into the fight because AJ stupidly gassed and became stationary.

Hard to see any way Wlad would have won a rematch with Fury.

Comment

So what youre saying is wlad cant adjust during the fight, but then you grand him an imaginary hypothetical win in the rematch. lmao
      Exactly Klitschko was already 39 yrs old. A younger Klitschko couldve done better straight away, this Klitschko needed that second fight to adjust. Then the way Fury loses his mind because he contractually has to fight him again, but still doesn't, is straight up weak. If Fury wants credit he has to keep competing untill he is 39 yrs old himself, see how HE fares.
      Last edited by Haka; 04-15-2024, 10:40 PM.

Comment

If fury beats usy k and josh, his resume must be comparable to lennox lewis. So then it's a case of who you'd think would win between fury and lennox h2h.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
          If fury beats usy k and josh, his resume must be comparable to lennox lewis. So then it's a case of who you'd think would win between fury and lennox h2h.
          I'll go you one better. Even with Lewis having an edge in the sheer number of quality opponents below top 3 level, We have never seen Fury laid out and unable to continue during his prime, as we had seen with Tyson, Lewis and W. Klitschko. Legacy points are taken off for having been seen that way.

Of course, Fury, Wilder, Usyk, Joshua, Zhang, Ruiz, Parker, Ortiz are still in motion.

Comment

It is always like that when it comes to a legit victory over one of the biggest cheaters in boxing - yes, people forget what s*umbags Wlad and Vitali were and all their dirty tricks Fury exposed. I will remind people of the ring story, which wasn't the only Klitschko disgrace but was one Lennox Lewis confirmed. But when AJ fought the two years older and inactive Wlad it was a great victory. Those same people forget to recall the Klitschko-Povetkin fight - was it more exciting, beautiful, technical or fair (hello, Luis Pabon, hello to the other Ukrainian Usyk)? But here comes the "anathema" when they can't fight the facts: "You are a Fury fanboy."

Comment

Originally posted by El_Mero View Post
              Not sure how u rate Fury as high as you do. This is a weak era of Heavys.
              I can answer that.
              This is a strong era of Heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post

I'll go you one better. Even with Lewis having an edge in the sheer number of quality opponents below top 3 level, We have never seen Fury laid out and unable to continue during his prime, as we had seen with Tyson, Lewis and W. Klitschko. Legacy points are taken off for having been seen that way.

Of course, Fury, Wilder, Usyk, Joshua, Zhang, Ruiz, Parker, Ortiz are still in motion.
                Yes, Lennox has more good wins. But Fury still has time to get more names, other than Usyk and Josh on his resume. Zhang, Dubois, Ruiz. Then Fury can be above Lennox.
                Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Been thinking about this fight lately and I respect how good Usky is but I got a feeling this might just be a walk in the park for Fury. There's a lot of reasons to doubt that especially the Wallin and Ngannou fights but I think Fury is just all wrong for him even more so than the other way round.

That reach advantage combined with the weight and the fact Fury is capable of moving his head ducking weaving leaning back Usyk is going to find it really difficult to put his punches together.

Fury will make this a terrible fight to watch he will keep it long using his jab and then hug,lean anytime Usyk steps inside and use his weight.

Fury has a great engine and Usyk, although you can't say he fades much just doesn’t have that ability to fight on the gas for 12 rounds (see the rounds he took off vs Joshua)

There won't be a stoppage I don't see it but I do see an ugly spoiling win for Fury
                  Last edited by davef; 04-16-2024, 10:24 AM.
                  billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

I'll have Ali at number 1, he's got the best wins in heavyweight history imo. As for Fury, if he beats Usyk (which I think he will) I'd probably reluctantly put him in the top 10 (just because he's a tough fight for anyone) but he's more accurately somewhere between 10 - 20.

He'll have 3 important wins on his record and will go down as the best of his era but outside of those wins, he doesn't have the title defences or consistency of good "mid-level" opposition. Just 3 big wins, Whyte and Chisora for the mid-level wins and not much else worth mentioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
                      He takes a lot of heat on this board and much of it is well deserved.

Lets say they both come in fit and firing on all cylinders, but Fury breaks loose in the mid to late rounds to overwhelm his opponent, and takes him out, leaving no doubt he's the better man.

What kind of legacy boost does he get for that?

In the interest of full disclosure; I personally would place him here:

Top 25 in 50 years 1974 - 2024

1. Larry Holmes
                      2. Lennox Lewis
                      3. Muhammad Ali
                      4. Mike Tyson
                      5. Tyson Fury
                      6. George Foreman
                      7. Wladimir Klitschko
                      8. Ken Norton
                      9. Joe Frazier
                      6. Evander Holyfield
                      7. Oleksandr Usyk
                      8. Anthony Joshua
                      9. Deontay Wilder
                      10.Ron Lyle
                      11.Vitali Klitschko
                      12.Riddick Bowe
                      13. Gerry Cooney
                      14. Earnie Shavers
                      15.Jimmy Young
                      16.Ike Ibeabuchi
                      17.Tim Witherspoon
                      18.Gerrie Coetzee
                      19.Andrew Golota
                      20.Michael Dokes
                      21.Joseph Parker
                      22.David Tua
                      23.Alexander Povetkin
                      24.Mike Weaver
                      25.Frank Bruno​
                      lets keep things really wholly hypothetical here. I don't realistically expect certain scenarios for this fight, but... If they should happen then I believe the reactions that would follow would tell us for the present popular opinion. The caveat here: History would ultimately change this scenario when looking at it from a more dialectical, all encompassing POV. And that POV one could never predict. But in the short term:

1. If Fury is just bigger and stronger and able to Knock Usyk out like he did Wilder (IMO this is highly unlikely), people will say Fury just used his size and that Usyk was not really a bona fide great heavyweight.

2. If Fury wins a proverbial "chess match" they will call him an ATG, one of the best ever.

3. If the decision is contraversal and influenced by the judges (Highly likely!) People will complain for a few days and forget... years later when some older fan like one of us ask people to "watch the fight" and ignore the judges, many will like the comment and a few will find it objectionable. In this case? People will continue the present narrative for the Gypsy King, a man who has providence, luck, perhaps cheats, but finds a way to win his fights.

4. If Fury loses? Unfortunately this fight is watershed for the Gypsy King. If he loses in any way, including a bad decision like the first Wilder decision (draw), it will affirm a lot of the negatives about Fury. Again people will implore others to "watch Fury's fights" but under this scenario those who make this request will be considered little more credible than 'ascended' or 'The Queen Bee.'

Comment

Working...
                      X