Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do many (not all) people consider Earnie Shavers the hardest puncher of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ivich View Post
    Do your hear voices? Because this is all fiction.
    - - I watch fights and recount the results.

Without U blinkers.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - I watch fights and recount the results.

Without U blinkers.
      Recounting something while hammered on bathtub gin in not reliable. Put the bottle down and your glasses back on.
      Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I saw him call for a rematch at the Zaire airport the day after the fight. Why would you say he didn't want a rematch?
        I though for some reason that at some point they tried to make it and Foreman was being unreasonable

Comment

• Originally posted by markusmod View Post

I though for some reason that at some point they tried to make it and Foreman was being unreasonable
          Always a chance of that . . . I don't know of such dealings but I never say an absolute no when dealing with what prize fighters will say or do.

I know Ali tried to get Foreman out of retirement by offering him a rematch if he Forrman would take care of Norton first. Foreman refused. So the story goes..

Comment

• Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
            Because Ali said so.
            <iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E8gy5L6Ujuw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
            Larry Holmes also backs this up, saying Shavers hit harder than Tyson. So did Ron Kyle who, as we all know, also fought George Foreman. And we know Foreman also hit harder than Tyson thanks to Holyfield. I heard Holyfield also said Bowe hit harder, but don’t quote me on that one.

So, through testimony we got the beginnings of a power ranking: Shavers then Foreman then Tyson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flickergrab98 View Post

Larry Holmes also backs this up, saying Shavers hit harder than Tyson. So did Ron Kyle who, as we all know, also fought George Foreman. And we know Foreman also hit harder than Tyson thanks to Holyfield. I heard Holyfield also said Bowe hit harder, but don’t quote me on that one.

So, through testimony we got the beginnings of a power ranking: Shavers then Foreman then Tyson.
              I fear I see an ego bias in those assessments.

Holmes got off the floor from Shavers which in his mind makes him look heroic - Holyfield needs to explain to himself why Bowe stopped him.

But who knows - guess I am adverse to quotes.

Comment

Holmes got off the floor from Shavers which in his mind makes him look heroic - Holyfield needs to explain to himself why Bowe stopped him.

How Holmes got off the floor is anyone's guess. That was a vicious punch. He was also younger and in better shape than when he fought Tyson.

Comment

• I think it also should he noted that if Foreman vs Ali is judged as a professional fight theres a strong case that Ali actually dominated him. Ali was riding the majority of Foremans blows, even the ones that connect. If the slow motion reel shows Ali flinching in the same direction as the blow that essentially says hes seeing the punch coming and it basically isn’t doing any damage (punches only do damage based on concussive impact meaning the body is absorbing the shot other wise its just a heavy push). Foreman didn’t see Any of Alis punches which is partly why one of the best chins ever hit the canvas, coupled with fatigue from Alis ring IQ. Under close inspection though, the fight wasn’t close and Foreman likely felt like he got embarassed in front of the world which crushed his spirit for 12 years.

to the outsider and the hype on the given night, Foremans 24 year old heart and confidence made him press Ali for 6 rounds hitting mostly air and arms hut making it exciting for the most part since everyone knew Foreman could kill someone if he landed right.
                  Last edited by them_apples; 04-23-2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Because he hurt them and even knocked them down so therefore they concluded he was the hardest puncher. If many of the best opponents survived and even won, then I guess he wasn't the best at finishing off the best opponents though. Only major win is a first round KO over Ken Norton.

Comment

You might actually have a point. I couldn’t remember whether Lyle or Shavers won, so I had to look it up aaand yep, turns out Lyle knocked out Shavers only to be KO’d by Foreman in his next one (as we all know) so I can’t even take his word for it.
                      Last edited by Flickergrab98; 04-23-2022, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X