Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do many (not all) people consider Earnie Shavers the hardest puncher of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do many (not all) people consider Earnie Shavers the hardest puncher of all time

Was it the opinion of the fighters the faced him?

Was it because he was the only guy to ever burst a boxing glove with a punch?

Was it because he took out the most people with just a single punch? (as opposed to needing a flurry of punches to take them out)

Why?

He is one of the hardest ever. But the hardest ever, too many choices.
    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Because Ali said so.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        Because Ali said so.
        Convinced me!!

Comment

They cut in on a presidential speech that night to make the announcement: Shavers bursts glove with punch. That is what did it, made the man a punching legend.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            They cut in on a presidential speech that night to make the announcement: Shavers bursts glove with punch. That is what did it, made the man a punching legend.
            Shavers has a statue made in his image.

Made from bronze.

He deserves a Gold one, because he is number 1 in punching power in human history.

He deserved a medal too.

When you look at guys that throw the shot put, the discuss etc what he can do is just as valid as the gold medal winner in those events.

The guy is the most under appreciated super athlete, in history.
            Last edited by AlexKid; 04-06-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Every man that faced shavers said he was a hellacious puncher. It was scary how hard he hit. I don't know if he was the biggest puncher ever, but he's up there.

Comment

Personally the hardest puncher I ever felt is Ernie Shavers, the second would be Mike Tyson, the third would be a prelim fighter named Ken Schmidt.
                All of these men fought professionally and were all under 215lbs when I worked hand pads for them.
                Ernie was heavy and hard, he hurt! Tyson used speed and explosiveness and Schmidt had a hard punch also with a huge fist that was very even across.

As far as power punching with speed and accuracy in both hands Sugar Ray Robinson was the best p4p.
                Ray.
                billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

When so many fighters have stated this you can't really argue with it. Since fighters' power have not been measured with machines, we'll have to do with the words of credible people.

I can say that visually speaking, other fighters looked like harder punchers than Shavers to me. But that's me looking at footage so it's just speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
                    When so many fighters have stated this you can't really argue with it. Since fighters' power have not been measured with machines, we'll have to do with the words of credible people.

I can say that visually speaking, other fighters looked like harder punchers than Shavers to me. But that's me looking at footage so it's just speculation.
                    It would be a large consensus among boxing people that Shavers was one of the hardest hitting fighters to ever step into a boxing ring. Top 10 for certain.

Comment

Working...
                    X