No announcement yet.

Floyd is P4P #2 ever after SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by titanium View Post
    Are you kidding! At the time Mayweather fought Mosley, Mosley was approaching 40, had been beat twice by Forrest and twice by Winky Wright. He was also beat by Cotto. He was past his prime.
    Mayweather picked opponents too carefully to ever be in the same room as Hearns and Duran, much less the all time greats of the past. Name one weight class Mayweather was the undisputed champion in. Can't be done.
    Where have I disputed that Mosley was passed his prime? He was passed his prime.

He was also universally P4P #3, #1 Welterweight and a major threat that Mayweather was clearly and shamelessly ducking, until he fought him of course .

Comment

• Originally posted by ironalex View Post
      Your ranking of floyd so high confirms to me you know nothing about boxing, and are just a boxrec/google expert. Watch the tapes- stylistically he wouldn't have lived with Pryor. And floyd drawn into a brawl ok... His loss to Castillo and his 60-40 competitive fight with a washed up battle worn cotto
      Yes and then watch the rematch with Castillo. Floyd wasn't brawling in the first fighter either (which wasn't a "loss" it could have went either way), Castillo was just effective.

LMAO at Mayweather vs Cotto being 60/40, that's a good one.

Saying over and over again "Stylistically he wouldn't have lived with Pryor" with no real justification doesn't prove anything.

My ranking of Floyd isn't that high, he's just greater than Pryor and you're gonna have to deal with it son.

Comment

• These "Pound For Pound" lists are absurd... Do I rate fighters based on resume or on skills? For example how do I compare Jack Johnson to Mike Tyson? They fought in totally different eras under totally different rules. Generally the Galveston Giant is viewed as higher up the pound for pound list than Iron Mike but the exact criteria is vague.

Are we weighting it based purely on resume? This seems silly since a guy who completely steamrolled a weak division will get neglected compared to a guy who fought and lost to greats...

Are we weighting based purely on skills? This seems dumb since it's hard to compare guys in different eras fighting different levels of competition.

Are we weighting based on who we think would win in a fight? This isn't logical since the rules of the sport are totally different than they were back in the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          Nah, he was much better at 130-140 than he is now. Much, much faster, hit harder, more offensive, still very, very difficult to tag. He was clearly a better fighter below 147.
          I dunno about that. In terms of sheer speed, he was faster, but his mechanics, the way he goes through the motions and overall technique all are much better now. There's a very good case for arguing that he lost a fight at 135, too. The same can't be said since his rise to 147.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            That wasn't my point. I was speaking in regards to the weight. Marquez is no Robinson but he's a great fighter in my opinion. Marquez not being comfortable at the weight is an excuse more than anything else, Marquez can obviously fight at the weight as witnessed against Pacquiao. The weight didn't beat Marquez against Mayweather. The counter punching, defense, and speed did him in which is why Marquez does not want a rematch.
            Marquez would lose to Mayweather if they fought now, but I don't think there's any doubt that Juan wasn't in good shape when he fought Mayweather. He looked really soft. Fast forward 3 years and his body has grown into one that belongs in the Welterweight division. You could see at the weigh-in of the fourth Pacquiao fight that Juan was looking ripped.

Also, your original point is quite stupid, IMO, as Robinson is probably considered an ATG on his Middleweight career alone. The same can't be said for Marquez at 147.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Shane Mosley was considered a major threat and unanimously considered to be one of the 3 beat P4P fighters in he world at the time Mayweather fought him.

The idea of Mayweather stepping in the ring with Mosley in 2010 was considered fantasy and next to impossible but of course as per usual once Mayweather fights him and beats him its a complete 180.

The same thing will happen when he fights Canelo.
              A major threat? Based on what, wins over Mayorga, whose only good win was over Vernon Forrest and a past prime Margarito? And it was considered fantasy because they couldn't agree to terms. Nobody discredits Floyd's abilities and good wins earlier in his career, so stop making it sound like people discredit all his wins. It's just that later in his career, he has been protected and later opponents have been carefully selected. The guy up and retires when being asked in 2007 about possible fights with Cotto, Margarito, others, then comes back 2 years later with a pretty good win over Marquez and waits 2 more years to take on Cotto, never fights Margarito or Pacquiao. Again, that's not taking on all comers. So, in terms of ability, he's an all-time great, but not in terms of resume. Nobody that knows boxing denies the guy has good wins though. And if he fights Canelo and beats him, that'll be a great win for him, only the true haters will try and criticize that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
                Marquez would lose to Mayweather if they fought now, but I don't think there's any doubt that Juan wasn't in good shape when he fought Mayweather. He looked really soft. Fast forward 3 years and his body has grown into one that belongs in the Welterweight division. You could see at the weigh-in of the fourth Pacquiao fight that Juan was looking ripped.

Also, your original point is quite stupid, IMO, as Robinson is probably considered an ATG on his Middleweight career alone. The same can't be said for Marquez at 147.
                My original point is true that Robinson was two divisions below Lamotta when he lost to him. That's a fact. You can call it "stupid" all you want but it doesn't change what is factual. It's also not nearly as stupid as you claiming Mayweather is in his prime.

I never claimed Marquez was on Robinson's level. He isn't. But I do consider him a great fighter. He knocked Manny Pacquiao out cold with a beautiful counter right hand and many believe he beat him in the 3rd fight at 147. Now he is fighting Tim Bradley. You can pretend that Marquez has done nothing at the weight or can't fight at 147. His records says otherwise.

Also, Robinson's middleweight career is not comparable to his career at welterweight and there are a number of middleweights I would rate over him.

In my opinion it's quite stupid and a convenient excuse to claim Marquez was "not in shape for the Mayweather fight" as if Marquez would be dumb enough to come in unprepared. It's a weak excuse to discredit the win. There is nothing in Marquez game that can trouble Mayweather at this point because of the differences in speed and defense. Why do you think he has no interest in a rematch?To claim the older version of Marquez is the better version is laughable.
                Last edited by joseph5620; 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• First off 130-140 floyd is very clear his absolute prime all you have to do is look at the spring in his legs against the unbeaten betting favourite chico

Secondly barnburner clearly has a vast knowledge of the game so can that kid who is calling him a ****** please slap yourself you pathetic clown

Its clear floyds major knock in this argument is his resume which is fair so if thats a major factor in your calculations of the p4p ever its nigh on impossible for him to be top 5 at the moment but personally i can say without a shadow of doubt that technically,skillset and intangibles wise hes the best ive seen on tape but hey its just my opinon

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                    his win over ray robinson is greater than anything floyd's got on his resume.

now, that said, robinson avenged that loss five times, with a ref stoppage in there, back when you needed to really batter a durable fighter to get a fight stopped. floyd's a more accomplished / greater fighter than jake lamotta.

floyd mayweather's got a lengthy resume of less than top historic competition, but he's been a championship level fighter since the 90's, fighting most of his best competition along the way. his comp has been good - very good, but rarely, if ever great. he's never fought a great WW in his prime.

he's a top 50 fighter, for sure, but there are holes in his resume, mostly stemming from his lack of top flight competion. you can only fight who they put in front of you, certainly, but that can't outweigh the importance of resume that actually have great fighters on them.
                    Yeah this right here. All time great skills and pretty good, not great resume, with some great, but mostly good opponents. Totally agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironalex View Post
                      Basillo would have beat him down - Floyd lacks power and punch out put, a lot of the old school guys would of beaten him
                      People always talk as if Mayweather is feather fisted...who have you seen simply run up on him not caring about his punches? He keeps all of his opponents honest and somewhat gun shy. He may not have 1 punch KO power but he no fighter will simply walk through his shots with reckless abandon.

Comment

Working...
                      X