No announcement yet.

Floyd is P4P #2 ever after SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    I doubt many people say Mayweather is greater than Robinson or Leonard.

Hearns lost to the best fighters he faced. Now I like Hearns but that is a fact. Fighting anybody doesn't warrant a good resume, beating anybody does. He still has some very good wins though, I'm not knocking him as he's a great fighter but I'm not going to pretend Floyd is a million miles away from him in terms of greatness.

It's to do more with a percentage of weight increase rather than the mere weight increase. I'll do some calculations with my famous Rigondeaux Calculator:

Mayweather Jump - 130 ---> 154 = 24 pounds.
    Hearns Jump - 147 - -----> 175 = 28 pounds.

Mayweather % = 24/130 = 18.5% weight increase.
    Hearns % = 28/147 = 19.0% weight increase.

So in reality Mayweather has been just as impressive moving up in weight and winning titles.

Of course it's not top 10 material but you're being incredibly harsh. Considering Mayweather was prime at like 130-140 he's done very well to be fighting and beating Top fighters at 147 and 154.
    Great posting Barn

Comment

Just touching on the point Barburner made about Floyd's prime being between 130-140. I disagree with that.

Physically, he's probably just as good now as he was 10 years ago and he's a lot smarter and experienced now than he was about 10 years ago. I think we're seeing Mayweather in his prime right now, more or less.

Comment

I also think that Mayweather's career will look a lot better 15-20 years after he has retired. People will either forget or simply won't have been around to know who he didn't face that he could have faced and just look at the incredible amount of titles he has racked up and the undefeated record (which he will probably preserve).

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
          Just touching on the point Barburner made about Floyd's prime being between 130-140. I disagree with that.

Physically, he's probably just as good now as he was 10 years ago and he's a lot smarter and experienced now than he was about 10 years ago. I think we're seeing Mayweather in his prime right now, more or less.
          No way. He's a smarter fight now but physically not in his prime. He's past his best weight classes so his power isn't as effective, his legs are no where near as fresh as before and his speed and reflex's while still top shelf aren't what they were either.

Comment

Comment

Surgeon basically posted what I was gonna say, I don't have anything else to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
                I also think that Mayweather's career will look a lot better 15-20 years after he has retired. People will either forget or simply won't have been around to know who he didn't face that he could have faced and just look at the incredible amount of titles he has racked up and the undefeated record (which he will probably preserve).
                In the same way people don't remember that Robinson didn't face Cocoa Kid or Charley Burley, I agree completely.

Comment

He's adjusted his style quite a bit to suit the changes his body has made, though. I'd say he's almost like a new fighter now than a decade, or so, ago and if I was a world class fighter and could choose which version I'd rather face, it'd be the one at 130/135. At least then I'd have a chance of actually hitting him. I also don't think he had the presence of mind to adjust and have you figured out within 3 rounds back then either.

Comment

@Barnburner You left out that Hearns petered out at cruiserweight, not doing much there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                      @Barnburner You left out that Hearns petered out at cruiserweight, not doing much there.
                      Yeah I was sticking to weight classes where they won a meaningful title or beat meaningful opposition. If I remember rightly Hearns held the IBO or another stupid strap.

Comment

Working...
                      X