Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Usyk's management contacted by Andre Ward.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    What is called cheating is a big category of behaviors, some of which are easy to judge, some not so much. Lets look at some examples.

1) A guy loads his gloves with a substance. Well in the old days some types of hand treatments were used ubiquitiously by fighters for the purposes of not breaking the hand. This is different than a fighter putting cement in their glove to hit harder. the second action is cheating and is not defensive in nature, the first action is something that was necessary when gloves were smaller so that the hand would not break on the forehead. And if you ever fought full contact karate with no hand protection and reversed punched a forehead.... There was a need to protect the hands.

2) headbutting and elbowing. In the early days of boxing there was not a big problem with head butting because guys did not square up. Whenever a fighter comes in face forward hands up there is a chance for heads to clash. Its not deliberate so much as an occupational hazard. If a fighter uses the forehead deliberately (ive seen Holyfield do this) then this is cheating yes.

Elbows are used in boxing all the time! You redirect blows, push the guy off with them, put them on the neck. This has to be addressed by the ref and by the defensive tactics of the other fighter... A professional prize fighter must learn to deal with elbows using tactics. The exception to this is hitting with the elbow, that is cheating.

3) Holding and Hitting. This is part of professional prize fighting. Otherwise they would penalize a fighter for clinching. Clinching is a natural reaction to getting hit, protecting oneself. Its part of the sport at the professional level. Refs penalize Excessive holding...Not clinching at times.

Trying to hold the hand ties both fighters up, its also part of inside fighting. Getting the gloved hand neutralized against opponents body is a type of holding and it takes skill to do so, You can't grab someone with a boxing glove in a manner that totally stops their punching. Wrestling got position, using the shoulders to push...all part of the sport.

4) Weigh ins should be same day. Take the option to cheat away from the fighter. Period.

5) Roiding is a very complex problem. Roids that help an injury should be allowed. A lot of older fighters need that sort of help and it has been shown time and time again that most roids do little to help a fighter. fight better.

In terms of using roids for performance, this is complicated. I cant say that I have thought this through enough to come out as either for, or against all performance enhancers. We have to see how much cycling these drugs during training will be part of progress. I still maintain that even in the heavyweight division of a guy trained like fighters used to train, he would have an amazing advantage over others...even others who use enhancers. Show me a heavy weight who can punch hard, throw punches for 12 rounds continually, and stay on his toes...Not a muscle bound fighter who looks like a statue.

Hope this helps. These are not simple issues Bats.
    It is simple. Don't cover it in with old-time prize fighting (where there was plenty of illegal headbutting etc. despite what you claim).

Question is whether you like fighters breaking the rules of boxing like Ward does (did)?

Comment

Usyk is a bridge to far for Ward imo. But I wouldn't be surprised if Ward fought him. This is what Ward does. He seeks the hardest challenges

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        It is simple. Don't cover it in with old-time prize fighting (where there was plenty of illegal headbutting etc. despite what you claim).

Question is whether you like fighters breaking the rules of boxing like Ward does (did)?
        I don't know what you are basing your understanding of a head butt upon. Yes in close people use/used head butts...however some of the natural problems that occur, like two southpaws who fight square, and are weighted forwards, did not occur with the same frequency because of logistics: Fighters would generally start an attack a certain way as compared to now.

Ward does not break the rules of boxing. The rules of professional prize fighting are not maintained through a book, they are maintained through a third party. All sports accept certain conditions... Basket ball especially in the eighties, a non-contact sport, actually had major physical contact. The refs were expected to police this and use judgement to make a call.

The arbitrator of a prize fighting match is not the book of rules...when was the last time you heard a fighter appeal a fight based on a rule in a book and succesfully win such an appeal? The fighter would inevitably have to show how the ref used poor judgement.

The arbitrator for a prize fighting match is the ref. The ref interprets the rules...some allow more grappling than others, some allow fighters to fight longer, others stop a match relatively fast. Ward fights in a very rugged fashion, he often tries to fight inside, meaning that he will try to work to the inside and yes, try to tie his man up... Thats not against the rules.

Ward is not a big headbutt guy lol. In his last flurry with Kovalev some of the blows were borderline and a few low. The ref had to use his discretion to determine the course of action...this is a regular occurance in a sport where there is no replay, and that is very close to personal combat.

The problem with you and Daggum's argument for equivalency (well if others cheat then ward can cheat also is false logic) is that what determines a fighter being dirty is a certain amount of tactics that border on cheating, it is not based on a low blow here and there, a headbutt clash, working inside and trying to use leverage... etc.

Comment

Why are you all acting like andre ward is the first dirty boxer the sport has ever seen? Are you all that btch made?

Comment

Nice, I see 2 shot posters got buried here...more shot than Sonny Corleone...you know who you are...

Ward MOST DEFINITELY ruined your lives.

What those losers and many other uneducated fans don't know is...Ward was/is so versatile he could/can defeat opponents anyway he wants or has to...

You haven't even really seen his stick and move style he would use against Usyk or guys noticeably bigger and stronger than him...

Fun Flashback: Go watch Round 1 of Ward-Kessler...have you ever seen a green, supposed underdog come out and straight OUTBOX a fairly respected champion like that?

From the build up to the weigh in to the bout...Ward looked like he was The Champ, and Kessler looked like the out of depth contender.

#UsykFansWardHatersSTARTS**TTING

Comment

Its a good fight

Comment

Not true. Daggum has smacked Wlad just as much so you fail.

Why do you like when fighters break the boxing rules?
                I don't. I actually detest it as much as the other boxing fan does. What I don't like is the hypocrisy and moral inconsistency of some boxing fans who condone it and says it is alright for certain fighters to bend the rules but then have a real problem and meltdown when other fighters do the same. That is what I have a problem with.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                  Ward should stay at Light heavyweight and leave Usyk alone. He is too big and too strong for Dre. He is all wrong for Ward. He'll be the first to stop SOG, if the two ever fought.
                  Ward will find a way. People claimed Kovalev was a killer and we all know how that ended. Ward can knock this guy out.

Comment

Funny that low IQ posters like yourself, always go after the man and not the subject.

you cry alot too

clinching happens in boxing..... wlad is the king of it

Comment

• if ward legit beat usyk then wow that would be really impressive, but lets face it, he lost the first kov fight pretty clear and was dropped in it too, in the rematch he was better but all those fouls, man that was plain cheating plus usyk is a fair bit bigger than kov with no stamina issues and much better overall, if ward took this fight and won cleanly i would never say a bad word about him again

Comment

Working...
                      X