Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum: If Crawford Wants 3-4 Fights a Year - We Have The Dates

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
    You must be having a laugh if u think they are top.notch. Diaz Just lost to a bum, postol just went life and death with an absolute nobody and imdongo got spanked by a prospect. And don't tell me 'they weren't the same after bud fought them'cause they sure as **** hadn't done much before that either.
    I hate fans like you. Hindsight is only 20/20, postol was coming off a huge victory which he was the underdog in when Crawford fought him. He was legit competition at the time. Indongo was coming off 2 big wins, away in the UK at that, where is extremely hard to win when you're the visiting fighter. They were both champs, undefeated and people were singing their praises for their most recent wins. Dont sit and discredit these dudes when you were prolly one of the fans giving them credit for their wins that lead to the Crawford fight.

As far as Indongo losing to a "prospect", any true boxing fan knows progais is more than a "prospect" and I guarentee you he wins the WBSS and spanks everyone he faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
      But Gamboa was inactive (over 12 months) and got the fight on really short notice. Didn't even get a full camp. The commission wouldn't even sanction that fight.

Or did people forget? Lol
      Lol true. To be honest, I forgot the short notice given

Comment

Originally posted by chepboxingking View Post
        Lol true. To be honest, I forgot the short notice given
        Lol I'm just adding color here. I love Bud but I cringe at the blind support for Top Rank guys that some engage in. Then they'll turn around and trash another non-top rank guy who's doing pretty much the same thing.

*Also arum has a long track record of creating "competitive" fights on paper but are actually mismatches in context. Hell of a promoter lol

Comment

I'm not buying it. I've been watching his career closely. This guy still isn't selling tickets. In his last 4 fights outside of Nebraska he's done very modest at the live gate. Attendance yesterday was 8.1k. And that was at MGM Grand Garden. (Lundy - 5k attendance at MSG; Postol - 7k attendance at MGM; Diaz - 8k attendance at MSG)

Meanwhile Spence just had 12k in attendance at Barclays against Peterson and is expected to have 12 - 15k for Ocampo. (After pulling only 7.6k attendance against Algeri at Barclays)

I know Crawford averages around 11-12k attendance in Omaha, but he's still not connecting nationally.

We won't even have a "ratings" number for this fight because of the app. He's not anything close to a "household name" imo. I think he's right in the bunch with guys like Garcia and Thurman.
          Why are you counting Spence's numbers for Ocampo being that they are in his hometown, but diminishing Crawford's numbers in Omaha? Not being a smartass, just asking.

Also, when a fighter has a built in hometown fanbase, I think that is worth something. What is wrong with doing a PPV in Omaha? or Frisco/ Dallas? The notion that the only way to be a household name is if you are selling out in Vegas is what I don't buy. Push their careers. Put them where they are selling out/ popular OFTEN. Not just once every blue moon, or up to the point where they are household names, then you leave your day1 fans behind.

I don't see why Spence shouldn't be fighting half his fights in the Dallas area. Same for Crawford in Omaha, Charlos in Houston. These places have proven to be good fight towns where fans will turn up. Clearly Bob, Oscar, Al, and Richard are all smarter guys than me, but the best way to promote someone is to have them fight at freaking home and take over their own city. Not every time, but certainly more often then currently happens. How does Mikey Garcia not fight in LA in 8 years? Crazy....

Anyway, i do agree that Crawford isn't a household name. I also dont think Spence is a household name either. As a matter of fact, outside of Alvarez, Broner, and Joshua, I don't think anyone is a slam dunk household name. Golovkin is right there and could be considered such, as well as Wilder. And there's your household name list.

Comment

That's what they always say but we know prizefighters eventually cut back to 2 fights max every year.

Comment

Originally posted by chepboxingking View Post
              I hate fans like you. Hindsight is only 20/20, postol was coming off a huge victory which he was the underdog in when Crawford fought him. He was legit competition at the time. Indongo was coming off 2 big wins, away in the UK at that, where is extremely hard to win when you're the visiting fighter. They were both champs, undefeated and people were singing their praises for their most recent wins. Dont sit and discredit these dudes when you were prolly one of the fans giving them credit for their wins that lead to the Crawford fight.

As far as Indongo losing to a "prospect", any true boxing fan knows progais is more than a "prospect" and I guarentee you he wins the WBSS and spanks everyone he faces.
              i sure as hell wasnt rating them before hand, said horn and indongo were ****e all along and wasnt active on the forum for the postol fight i dont think. all im saying is hes getting a whole lot of hype for beating a whole lot of nothing, got people saying hed beat prime mayweather, its ridiculous. if hes so good already, then lets throw him in with a live opponent in his next fight.

Comment

bu bu but bob arum is not treating crawford right..........

Comment

People need to be honest about these opponents. We just saw Indongo get blasted by Prograis like he was a prop up fight. Postol's best wins were Matthysse and Lundy. Diaz went life and death with a guy (Peterson) people claim is a marginal fighter (which I disagree with). And Horn shouldn't have been in the ring (we know Arum resorted to his old tricks to get that belt from Manny).

I like Bud and how he handles his business but there needs to be some scrutiny on these opponents. The quality is very similar to Danny Garcia's comp prior to Thurman and people called him a cherry picker (rod salka was unacceptable though) lol
                  How can you really complain about his opposition at 140 when he unified all 4 belts? He beat every champion there. It's not his fault if the champions there are subpar.

Comment

Originally posted by JLC View Post
                    Why are you counting Spence's numbers for Ocampo being that they are in his hometown, but diminishing Crawford's numbers in Omaha? Not being a smartass, just asking.

Also, when a fighter has a built in hometown fanbase, I think that is worth something. What is wrong with doing a PPV in Omaha? or Frisco/ Dallas? The notion that the only way to be a household name is if you are selling out in Vegas is what I don't buy. Push their careers. Put them where they are selling out/ popular OFTEN. Not just once every blue moon, or up to the point where they are household names, then you leave your day1 fans behind.

I don't see why Spence shouldn't be fighting half his fights in the Dallas area. Same for Crawford in Omaha, Charlos in Houston. These places have proven to be good fight towns where fans will turn up. Clearly Bob, Oscar, Al, and Richard are all smarter guys than me, but the best way to promote someone is to have them fight at freaking home and take over their own city. Not every time, but certainly more often then currently happens. How does Mikey Garcia not fight in LA in 8 years? Crazy....

Anyway, i do agree that Crawford isn't a household name. I also dont think Spence is a household name either. As a matter of fact, outside of Alvarez, Broner, and Joshua, I don't think anyone is a slam dunk household name. Golovkin is right there and could be considered such, as well as Wilder. And there's your household name list.
                    I mentioned Dallas to highlight the lack of a significant difference between the Brooklyn crowd and his expected Dallas crowd.

Crawford, in comparison, has not done well in NYC was my point. I know he's large at home. As he should be.

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
                      How can you really complain about his opposition at 140 when he unified all 4 belts? He beat every champion there. It's not his fault if the champions there are subpar.
                      But these same posters will talk crap about Mikey for beating a guy like Lipinets. That's all I'm highlighting here lol we gotta be consistent

Comment

Working...
                      X