Why it's NOT bad for boxing if McGregor wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Yes you do.

Nate Diaz has no boxing experience either. Sparring a world champion doesn't equate to Boxing experience.

And Conor has less experience than that.
    So sparring isn't adding to ones experience? Boxers are just wasting their time sparring now is what you are telling me? Surely you don't believe that.

Granted in the ring in a real fight, amateur or pro, is superior on average, but sparring vs other boxers, pro or amateur, is adding to your abilities in boxing. I respect your opinion on most subjects, regardless if I agree with you or not, but thats just silly to say sparring doesn't = experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Oh it is serious for the guys in the ring. Thats their life. Floyd is a punchline for a few decades at a minimum if he catches a L to Conor. But ultimately its just two guys fighting & finding out who's the best & they decide that not boxing or MMA or you or me or anyone else. And the win goes to no one except the guy who earned it in the ring off of his own skill & determination to get that win. If Conor earns the win fair play to him he's the better man on that day. Simple as that. No empires are falling. No ******* are being sacrificed. The moon won't turn red. It'll just be a W for Conor & a L for Floyd.

And in all that time haven't you seen great fighters lose before to guys you thought beneath them? Is this really going to be a first for you without worrying about the MMA angle to it that gets some of you guys' panties in a bunch?

Can't you see the incredibleness of what Conor would have done if he CAN beat Floyd doe? I mean if Conor goes in there & with 0 pro fights beats Floyd doesn't that say he's a talent himself that deserves respect for his boxing ability?
      I have never seen a guy with no boxing experience beat any boxer at all let alone a world class fighter let alone an undefeated legend.

I really don't think you are understanding the magnitude of what a loss here is. It's not just a W for the winner and a L for the loser.

Like I said it doesn't kill the sport because Boxing will never die but it does irrepairable damage. It just does.

Well if he beats Floyd then yeah his boxing ability goes through the roof, and what does that say about Boxing that a guy with no experience in Boxing was the first and only guy to beat the best fighter of the last 20 years.

Comment

LOL damn you guys should write an epic War & Peace kinda novel with the drama you can drum up via a 40 year old, 2 years out of the sport guy getting beat.

I see the upside of new blood in boxing that f#cks with the powers that be & some of you guys just see pain & misery ahead lol.
        You are not getting it! Mayweather's age has nothing to do with it because HE is the big favorite! He is not some huge underdog!! And even if this was a 50/50 fight in the odds between a boxer and a UFC fighter, fought with boxing rules and the UFC fighter won, it would still be a huge embarrassment!!! But Mayweather is the big favorite which makes it that much more embarrassing if MC wins fighting with boxing rules and regulations - ESPECIALLY WHEN THE UFC FIGHTER HAS NOT HAD A SINGLE PRO FIGHT AND IS FIGHTING A GUY WHO IS 49-0!!!!!! THAT IS A HUGE HUGE HUGE NEGATIVE ON BOXING!!!!!! Thats why they are calling this worse than a circus act because it is as if a lion tamer decides to tame a puppy dog and gets attacked and dies from a teeny tiny puppy dog, it would be a disgrace for the lion tamer!!!
        Last edited by richardt; 08-13-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

So sparring isn't adding to ones experience? Boxers are just wasting their time sparring now is what you are telling me? Surely you don't believe that.

Granted in the ring in a real fight, amateur or pro, is superior on average, but sparring vs other boxers, pro or amateur, is adding to your abilities in boxing. I respect your opinion on most subjects, regardless if I agree with you or not, but thats just silly to say sparring doesn't = experience.
          Sparring doesn't equate to Boxing experience.

Boxers hone their craft in sparring and gain their experience when they fight.

A guy with 0 fights at amateur or pro level has no boxing experience.

Comment

Sparring doesn't equate to Boxing experience.

Boxers hone their craft in sparring and gain their experience when they fight.

A guy with 0 fights at amateur or pro level has no boxing experience.
            I disagree. A boxing match is a boxing match regardless if the announcer, the ref & judges are present or not. And I'm not saying its 1 to 1 level experience cuz there is no guarantee both guys are giving it there all or not just there working on a specific thing or two, but it equates to some caliber of boxing experience.

Hell to some even lesser degree I'd say working with a trainer & even using the heavy bag & other equipment in a gym that enhancing ones boxing IQ equate to boxing experience.

Comment

I have never seen a guy with no boxing experience beat any boxer at all let alone a world class fighter let alone an undefeated legend.

I really don't think you are understanding the magnitude of what a loss here is. It's not just a W for the winner and a L for the loser.

Like I said it doesn't kill the sport because Boxing will never die but it does irrepairable damage. It just does.

Well if he beats Floyd then yeah his boxing ability goes through the roof, and what does that say about Boxing that a guy with no experience in Boxing was the first and only guy to beat the best fighter of the last 20 years.
              That old timey boxing guys need to update what they consider boxing experience & maybe some guys outside of boxing are looking at boxing with fresher eyes & see holes in boxing that old timey boxing guys are too close to notice or too arrogant to even look for.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                You are not getting it! Mayweather's age has nothing to do with it because HE is the big favorite! He is not some huge underdog!! And even if this was a 50/50 fight in the odds between a boxer and a UFC fighter, fought with boxing rules and the UFC fighter won, it would still be a huge embarrassment!!! But Mayweather is the big favorite which makes it that much more embarrassing if MC wins fighting with boxing rules and regulations - ESPECIALLY WHEN THE UFC FIGHTER HAS NOT HAD A SINGLE PRO FIGHT AND IS FIGHTING A GUY WHO IS 49-0!!!!!! THAT IS A HUGE HUGE HUGE NEGATIVE ON BOXING!!!!!! Thats why they are calling this worse than a circus act because it is as if a lion tamer decides to tame a puppy dog and gets attacked and dies from a teeny tiny puppy dog, it would be a disgrace for the lion tamer!!!
                If we are going strictly on odds Indongo beating Crawford is a more shocking outcome than Conor beating Floyd.

And I'm not really speaking on the odds anyway, but what I am saying is boxing is a young mans game & how many fighters who are older & out of the sport for 2 years have comeback to not look like the guy they were before they left? A f#cking lot of guys. The MMA doesn't matter so much as the old & out of the game for 2 years angle.

Sh^t man Paulie retired 6 months ago & allegedly he got beaten from pillar to post by Conor if you believe Conor's side of it. If a 2 time boxing champion is getting beat down in sparring to a MMA guy who's younger & more active then Floyd is it realllllllly that much of a jump to make that if Floyd isn't like the guy we saw vs Berto that things could go south on him?

And I'm a Floyd fan since before most everyone here even knew him let alone hated him, but I'm not delusional about age & inactivity & guys doing things for the money in a young mans game.

Comment

I disagree. A boxing match is a boxing match regardless if the announcer, the ref & judges are present or not. And I'm not saying its 1 to 1 level experience cuz there is no guarantee both guys are giving it there all or not just there working on a specific thing or two, but it equates to some caliber of boxing experience.

Hell to some even lesser degree I'd say working with a trainer & even using the heavy bag & other equipment in a gym that enhancing ones boxing IQ equate to boxing experience.
                  I think that is an extremely naive thing to say. Both paragraphs.

I am going to guess you haven't boxed yourself?

Comment

That old timey boxing guys need to update what they consider boxing experience & maybe some guys outside of boxing are looking at boxing with fresher eyes & see holes in boxing that old timey boxing guys are too close to notice or too arrogant to even look for.
                    Bamboozled by this post. Not even sure how to respond to it.

So what are you saying here exactly that guys that don't box, have never boxed but compete in other combat sports have some evolved fighting experience that us normal boxing guys can't see, and normal boxers can-t fahtom?

I'm slightly speechless here as I know you aren't joking.

Comment

I think that is an extremely naive thing to say. Both paragraphs.

I am going to guess you haven't boxed yourself?
                      Well based on your logic I have zero boxing experience. I really don't see how thats relevant doe cuz competition isn't the only thing that creates experience doing something & I think thats naive to think how you think about experience.

Boxing isn't THAT unique of an event to only count when refs & judges are involved.

Comment

Working...
                      X