• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
    Yep..............Holyfield and Bowe also had some damn good inside fighting
    Ah they were poetry in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by WombBat View Post
      Rios instantly comes to mind. Really really good inside fighter he is, sometimes overshadowed by perhaps poor outside game.
      Yes he even has a natural hunch in his back..lol he was born to fight in the inside

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Ah they were poetry in motion.
        Yes sir..was a joy to watch

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
          Yea, we'll see some good hit and holding this weekend though then we'll see the usual crybabies in nsb after the fight

Hopkins will smother kovalev . Grab his right Arm as he pounds away with his own right.

It's a lost art.
          As much as I dislike watching some of Hopkins fights these days because of the pace, hopefully people realize they're watching one of the oldest of old school fighters of the modern era. Hopkins is a master of the inside game in the same vein of Archie Moore.

There are some guys who still fight decent on the inside but the problem is when you have one opponent who doesn't know how even against a guy who does know you get a ton of clinching and grappling. Part of the problem is how the referee's officiate but if you watch some old school fights like Archie vs Marciano you see two guys who know how to fight inside and avoid holds and grapples, even though they still happen because of the close contact.
          Last edited by Joshua Child; 11-05-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Definitely a dying art. Seems like body punching is a dying art aswell.

I often go back and watch Castillo-Corrales 1 to look at some beautiful inside work. That's whar you call inside fighting.
            Castillo is one of the best inside fighters of the last 25 years. Fantastic body punching, solid head movement and punch variation.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              wlad-povetkin
              One of the greatest display's of boxing since the inception of the sport. "peeleft:

Comment

Originally posted by WombBat View Post
                Rios instantly comes to mind. Really really good inside fighter he is, sometimes overshadowed by perhaps poor outside game.
                Rios is a poor inside fighter. Just because he throws a lot of punches on the inside doesn't make him a good inside fighter. The guy has no defense to speak of and gets hit relentlessly.

Part of having a good inside game is defense. The greats like Duran were able to blend offense and defense seamlessly on the inside. Marciano used tons of head movement and got super low, allowing him to get beneath his opponents punches and followed up with solid body punches. Archie Moore used distance, great head movement, smothering tactics and the Philly Shell to combat opponents punches inside. These are just three examples of totally different styles of inside fighting that were all very effective. It seems like almost every fighter in the mid 30's to late 50's at least had a solid inside game.
                Last edited by Joshua Child; 11-05-2014, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Child View Post
                  Rios is a poor inside fighter. Just because he throws a lot of punches on the inside doesn't make him a good inside fighter. The guy has no defense to speak of and gets hit relentlessly.

Part of having a good inside game is defense. The greats like Duran were able to blend offense and defense on the inside. Marciano used tons of head movement and got super low, allowing him to get beneath his opponents punches. Archie used distance, great head movement, smothering tactics and the Philly Shell to combat opponents punches inside. These are just three examples of totally different styles of inside fighting that were all very effective.

Did you just compare Rios to Archie Moore, Roberto Duran and Rocky Marciano? Of course Rios doesn't have great inside game like those guys. Nobody said Rios was an ATG inside fighter, lol.

Comment

In Boxing Today, a good inside fighter DOMINATES...LIKE ANDRE WARD!

Most fighters today including these up and coming HYPE JOBS, most of them suck at fighting inside so they usually just try to avoid it. I'm a fan of "DIRTY BOXING" before the idiots reply and say "YOU LIKE DIRTY FIGHTERS!" No Dirty Boxing is what they call INSIDE FIGHTING!

Like Nicholas Walters as well, when you can give up that reach advantage and still dominate your opponent inside as well as beating them from the OUTSIDE, it is extremely hard to beat that type of fighter with that Balance in his fighting style

Comment

I wouldn't say so but fighters who are actually good inside are few and far between.

I can not really appreciate inside fighters like Brandon Rios or Ruslan Provodnikov these fighters who get branded as whats that really overused term that inside fighters always get labelled? Ah, subtle!
                      WTF is subtle about standing in front of a guy winging shots and eating everything that comes back?
                      I can see why people enjoy it but I don't really.

Now a fighter who smothers himself, takes a small step back to create room for his shots, I appreciate that. That is intelligent boxing.
                      A fighter who can catch and shoot, slip and rip, go high-low.
                      I just don't appreciate fighters who don't create angles or even attempt to slip punches, they're just stood opposite swinging for the fences.

I appreciate that they're willing to duke it out but to me I don't find that aesthetically pleasing.

Comment

Working...
                      X