Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inside fighting...is it a dying art?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul survivor has it right I think. Amateur boxing has killed inside fighting in recent times. Why bother fighting inside if one partially deflected punch counts the same as one solid clean one? Hopefully will change with the points system.

For a great skilled inside fight (yes involving clinching) I like Duran vs Leonard I.

Comment

Mayweather is the PPV king. He is undefeated. He used to like to hold too much and they allowed him so he would continue to win. I think that strongly contributed to the present culture of punch and hold, taking away much of the inside game.
      To his credit, lately he has been really doing in-fighting. Surprised he allowed Cotto to do what he did inside. And I actually think Floyd is quite good inside. Just a quick uppercut to the gut is what he normally does but is very effective. His opponents start thinking twice about going in.

Comment

punching inside the clinch with your one arm free, using underhooks and overhooks (slipping your arm under or over your opponent arm) to free a hand and punch, using the shoulder to get punch distance, etc, were all techniques used by the fighters of the past.

Look at Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, Archie Moore, Roberto Duran and a bunch of other fighters from the past used those techniques left and right.

Today only a couple guys do that - Andre Ward, Golovkin in spots (Look how he sets up Rubio before landing that killer uppercut that basicaly finished the fight) and Chocolatito Gonzales.

Its is a dying art, most in-fighters today only like to get close and throw punches even if they end up smothering their own punches. Oh, and defense on the inside is pratically extinct...

Comment

Originally posted by sargo View Post
          Mayweather is the PPV king. He is undefeated. He used to like to hold too much and they allowed him so he would continue to win. I think that strongly contributed to the present culture of punch and hold, taking away much of the inside game.
          To his credit, lately he has been really doing in-fighting. Surprised he allowed Cotto to do what he did inside. And I actually think Floyd is quite good inside. Just a quick uppercut to the gut is what he normally does but is very effective. His opponents start thinking twice about going in.
          He did a lot of inside fighting earlier in his career. When you move up in weight class, it doesn't make sense to fight inside as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            Soul survivor has it right I think. Amateur boxing has killed inside fighting in recent times. Why bother fighting inside if one partially deflected punch counts the same as one solid clean one? Hopefully will change with the points system.

For a great skilled inside fight (yes involving clinching) I like Duran vs Leonard I.
            That's what I hope too, with the changed on the am side of things, I hope we get more guys turning pro who know the value of body shots and inside fighting

Comment

Most likely. The way he fought Hatton though sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Vilicious86 View Post
                He did a lot of inside fighting earlier in his career. When you move up in weight class, it doesn't make sense to fight inside as much.
                Most likely. The way he fought Hatton though sucked

Comment

estrada did it really good vs viloria and segura

Comment

The trainers today come from the amateur boxing ranks and they know nothing about working inside! Their are few to none these days.
                    I can't think of one strong inside game on the scene today, not one!
                    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by sargo View Post
                      That's the punch that never gets mentioned, it's why people here keep thinking his opponents just aren't well conditioned.

Comment

Working...
                      X