No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: One Punch From Nery Keeps Crawford in the P4P Debate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post

No, Crawford carried mean machine to the point where he started to showboat and show off by switching stances is what I'm saying. Due to Crawford not taking the fight seriously and messing around with the switch hitting, he too almost got KO'ed.
    Crawford was fighting arrogantly and got caught, unlike Inoue who was fighting arrogantly and got caught.

gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

Seems like your overanalyzing or making excuses. Maybe inoue was just too casual a bit like Lewis was against rahman
      Inoue rushed in trying to push the action looking for a quick KO. Unlike him, and likely due to the Nery/Yamanaka thing. He got up, cleared his head and went back to his usual gameplan and didn't lose a minute of the rest of the fight.
      zalous zalous likes this.

Comment

The knockdown is irrelevant to me.

I place the most weight on lineal championships. Crawford has 3, Inoue has 2. To me, Crawford is still P4P #1.

I do think Inoue has beaten better competition overall, though. Crawford has the material accomplishments, Inoue has the edge in activity and competition level.

Inoue:
        4 division world titlist
        2 division lineal champion
        2 division undisputed champion
        14-0 vs TBRB top 10 opposition
        14-0 vs fighters that won legitimate (WBO, WBC, IBF, WBA, Ring, TBRB, lineal only; no interim, regular, IBO, etc) world titles in their careers

In Inoue's case, those 14 TBRB ranked fighters and 14 world titlists are the same 14 guys, so that's super impressive.

Crawford:
        3 division world titlist (pending the Madrimov fight at 154)
        3 division lineal champion
        2 division undisputed champion
        14-0 vs TBRB top 10 opposition
        10-0 vs fighters that won legitimate world titles

Ultimately, only 9 dudes in history won lineal championships in 3 divisions. Bob Fitzsimmons, Henry Armstrong, Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri, Sugar Ray Leonard, Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayveather Jr., Manny Pacquiao, and Terence Crawford. That's a ridiculously impressive list for Crawford to put his name on.

If Inoue moves up to featherweight and becomes lineal there, he easily leapfrogs Crawford due to his quality of opposition.

But if Crawford becomes lineal at 154, he puts himself on a 3 man list of 4 division lineal champions with just Floyd and Pacquiao.

We're lucky to get to watch both of these guys in our era. Hating on either one of them in any context is ludicrous.
        factsarenice factsarenice likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminLinus View Post
          Dud Bumford was badly wobbled by a much smaller Gamboa and he was dropped by EuroBum Kavaliauskas, but was missed by the ref.

American media gotta get off Dud's nuts.
          You're the bum disrespectful chump.
          factsarenice factsarenice likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnieq View Post
            struggling to know what defines a Pound for Pound top fighter. It seems to be a grey area.

1. Is it about accomplishments and who the fighter has beaten on their resume?
            2. Is it about skill? athletic skill and talent, no matter who they have had the chance to fight.
            (this list recognizes the best fighter, beyond what opportunities they have?)
            3. Is it about ability to win in all circumstances?
            (No matter how ugly the style, they just win, like Ward in all circumstances and styles of fighters?)
            Originally it was about who would beat who if everyone were the same size and weight. People have added their own spin on it over the years. I look at it the original way. I have Inoue on top currently.
            vinnieq vinnieq _Rexy_ _Rexy_ like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Madison View Post
              crawford fights in a real division and dismantled spence who was a world class fighter.... even eye test wise he is leagues above inoue who just got dropped by a bum
              A bum ? So a two weight Champion and Number 1 Contender is a bum now ? What have you accomplished in boxing that gives you right to label Louis Nery a bum ? I'd bet dollars to donuts that the bum would beat you into a coma.
              crimsonfalcon07 crimsonfalcon07 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
                Crawford is a highly skilled boxer, more skilled than Canelo, head to head.

But if he does fight Canelo, well, that power is different up there. Bud was rocked by 'mean machine', if I recall correctly.

Crawford could probably win middleweight titles without too much difficulty though. Whether he ever fights Ennis, I don't know, that would be better than the Spence fight, obviously.

Inoue is a great fighter. It's a pity he's at that weight division. A bit bigger and we'd be talking fights with Davis and Stevenson.
                Davis and Stevenson won't even fight each other , they'd duck Inoue like he was on fire.

Comment

Good read. Am visualising Inoue vs Crawford at the exact same weight. Wow, what a fight. Crawford more skilled. But Inoue's power in both hands....... OMG. Too close to call

Comment

Originally posted by vinnieq View Post
                    struggling to know what defines a Pound for Pound top fighter. It seems to be a grey area.

1. Is it about accomplishments and who the fighter has beaten on their resume?
                    2. Is it about skill? athletic skill and talent, no matter who they have had the chance to fight.
                    (this list recognizes the best fighter, beyond what opportunities they have?)
                    3. Is it about ability to win in all circumstances?
                    (No matter how ugly the style, they just win, like Ward in all circumstances and styles of fighters?)
                    Quick answer: Yes.

It's all totally notional and 100% unprovable and should just be treated as a bit of fun.

Personally, I think activity has to come into it. For example, Beterbiev is an absolute beast of a fighter, but of late he has been sidelined with injuries and that counts against him and takes him out of the conversation for the time being. Crawford has fought once in 17 months, because... Well, just because. I think that counts against him.

Inoue is the man walking the walk on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by pnut901 View Post

Davis and Stevenson won't even fight each other , they'd duck Inoue like he was on fire.
                      Stevenson and Inoue met at the same weight (in your opinion) Stevenson will refuse to fight Inoue and that is why you consider Inoue #1 P4P.

Hinging on Stevensons refusal to fight is more than just problematic, its a dismissal without consideration and that is where it falls apart.

Inoue has never fought anyone close to Stevenson's skill, IQ, speed and athletic ability built into one guy. Stevenson has fought power punchers and dispatched them in one sided outings so power is not enough, speed alone is not enough and Stevenson is no fool in the ring.

Can Inoue beat prime Stevenson at 130lbs? I don't know, but (contrary to tweeker chatter) I DO KNOW that Stevenson would certainly be the most difficult fighter Inoue has ever stepped into the ring with.

Like Stevenson or not, disqualifying him based on nothing isn't much of an argument.

Comment

Working...
                      X