No announcement yet.

Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    I dunno, I feel like the luta Livre guys down in Brazil gave the Gracies every test they needed to be prepared for the UFC. They were regularly beating guys in their gym in California... better fighters than the ones they were finally able to sign to fight on camera in the UFC.

Lots of guys come into MMA gyms thinking they can fight because of their previous experiences: mostly it's Boxers, but sometimes it's still guys with some traditional martials arts training. It always ends the same. Well, not really, now they just get toyed with: law suits and what not. But it used to be really bad. If you don't know what your doing and your opponent doesn't care about you, you WILL get hurt.

With theses great Kickboxers, though, I have to wonder what happened: apparently Lewis and Wallace both had a Wrestling foundation. Lewis, Wallace and (maybe Benny Urquedez might have been to the 70's what Conor McGregor has been in this decade. But there was no venue like UFC/PRIDE FC to host them. And clearly they were too old when the Gracies put together the UFC. Talk about bad timing.

These guys didn't have any students to put forward in the 90's? Were their (potential) students too interested in switching over to Muay Thai? I always thought it was funny that the K1 talent pool mostly came NOT from America.

Or maybe it was a pride thing? I remember always reading that Muay Thai fighters always obliterated Western Kickboxers: Then I actually saw Urqudez vs. a Thai Boxers. Benny ****'d him up! It was finally decided by Judo throws, but the referee had to save the Thai fighter. Benny said no more thai fighters came looking for him after that. Their pride had been broken, clearly. And maybe that's why top American Kickboxers avoided early MMA?
    Funny and true story: I had a friend I taught in college. He was a biker and a real hard @33. He wound up hooking up with a group known as the "Dog Brothers." I went to New Mexico and trained a few days with them...damn altitude over there! Anyway when the Gracies were starting the UFC the Dog Brothers, who used to fight full contact matches with sticks...hollow sticks, offered to put some of their matches in the tourney. The Gracies were not interested. Felt like that went a little too extreme!

You can google the Dog Brothers, they are a great group. Great training. You can do a lot if people are mature and understand certain ground rules. Its a great experience to do the matches and no more dangerous than other full contact fighting. I don't care much for hollow sticks, but they will let you use any weapons agreed upon...obviously not real blades, but anything that can be agreed upon with common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Funny and true story: I had a friend I taught in college. He was a biker and a real hard @33. He wound up hooking up with a group known as the "Dog Brothers." I went to New Mexico and trained a few days with them...damn altitude over there! Anyway when the Gracies were starting the UFC the Dog Brothers, who used to fight full contact matches with sticks...hollow sticks, offered to put some of their matches in the tourney. The Gracies were not interested. Felt like that went a little too extreme!

You can google the Dog Brothers, they are a great group. Great training. You can do a lot if people are mature and understand certain ground rules. Its a great experience to do the matches and no more dangerous than other full contact fighting. I don't care much for hollow sticks, but they will let you use any weapons agreed upon...obviously not real blades, but anything that can be agreed upon with common sense.
      Wallace seemed a good choice for the first UFC broadcast, but if you watch it, you can see why they brought in the bad toupee hairdo guy to explain the ground techniques used by Royce Gracie a little better by UFC 2.

Comment

Anderson Silva would stick out his chin, like he did in UFC, and get KO'd

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          Anderson Silva would stick out his chin, like he did in UFC, and get KO'd
          - -And just to be clear, Roy and Silva were good for a go, but it was a no go for White.

And I always picked Roy in boxing, and he ain't so stupid as Toney to fight UFC to be humiliated.

Goldie Oldie grudge match Silva vs Roy 2025 with Dana contractually on the sidelines.

Who you got?

Comment

It's not even a fair fight. Jones, at any stage of his career destroys Silva, as Anderson would him in the octogan.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              It's not even a fair fight. Jones, at any stage of his career destroys Silva, as Anderson would him in the octogan.
              Happy to see Jab back in the mix.

Comment

Working...
              X