No announcement yet.

Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones

- -They agreed to a boxing match while Silva still on top of his UFC career and Roy was starting a slow fade in his career, but Dana White wouldn't allow it saying maybe later.

The fight would resurrect now and again, but Dana always nixed it.

He allowed his aging 40 yr old star, Randy Couture to fight James Toney under UFC rules that turned out in the opening seconds to be an all time massacre.

Was Dana just looking out for that $4Billion the UFC was sold for?

Silva was one of the better UFC strikers and obviously had footwork out the kazoo and obviously thought he could beat Roy in the ring.

The fighters wanted it, yet not to be as of this date.

Thoughts?

Btw, Silva has a modest novice boxing record before he became a UFC legend.

I saw a video of Silva fighting a pro fight vs a fat bum who knew how to take punches and he couldn’t do nothing with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
      I saw a video of Silva fighting a pro fight vs a fat bum who knew how to take punches and he couldn’t do nothing with him.
      - -Was you that fat bum?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Was you that fat bum?
        Just showing you what a ****** you are .

Comment

If Weidmann could time him...

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
            If Weidmann could time him...
            Exactly this..

Comment

That's glass Roy you are talking about.

Comment

- -Made his debut against an experienced fighter who finished as a credible journeyman and was KOed.

Returns 7 years later wiser and KOs a debutante, so some time after that with Roy attending UFC events they met and the idea of a fight was birthed.

I tend to favor Roy, but sorta like Dummy Kellerman telling us in advance McG wouldn't land a single punch on TUE, when in fact he punched poor Floyd around for the 5x5 min rd Time +4x1 min rests = 29 min before Floyd managed to get the political ref stoppage.

I can guarantee Silva a vastly better pugilist than McG.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/152826

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Made his debut against an experienced fighter who finished as a credible journeyman and was KOed.

Returns 7 years later wiser and KOs a debutante, so some time after that with Roy attending UFC events they met and the idea of a fight was birthed.

I tend to favor Roy, but sorta like Dummy Kellerman telling us in advance McG wouldn't land a single punch on TUE, when in fact he punched poor Floyd around for the 5x5 min rd Time +4x1 min rests = 29 min before Floyd managed to get the political ref stoppage.

I can guarantee Silva a vastly better pugilist than McG.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/152826
                  QueenB:

So you do not think Floyd sort of "carried" Mac? I didn't see the fight, really had little to no interest, so I don't pretend to know. I thought that Floyd might do so, to generate the possible interest in a later match.

As far as these cross pollinations in teh combat rhealm I think we are starting to see some guys who are training very much so, they can box and fight MMA. This will be an interesting development if it is shown that someone can fight in both worlds effectively.

From a very pure inchoate perspective, coming from self protection, fighting for one's life there are two forks in the road that present tremendous hardship to an adept; The first is that we will always fight the way we train. The second is, as Rory Miller says, "one cannot train for every type of situation that could present itself" regarding self protection.

So a very pretty girl comes to me, who never had brothers, probably never even balled her hand up into a fist, and wants to learn self defense. What will it take for her to agree to go in there against a padded opponent, and break down her own suppositions? Hint: Not many will.

So a prison guard (Rory Miller's field) is trying to stay ahead of scenario's involving a group of predators who have nothing better to do than invent different ways of attacking. How does one prepare him?

I raise these issues for a reason QueenB. To me the very rudiments of self preservation method and theory will tell us most of what we need to know when we match two supreme fighting men. The answer would be that the rules will determine who wins this match. Will the striking be more familiar to Roy? or to Silva? Paulie Malinogi had his own wake up call. I could have told you that would happen. For years as a bouncer I saw boxers swing and break a hand, etc.

If they fought boxing with boxing gloves Roy probably takes it. If they fought with smaller gloves, I think Silva might win. Whomever can adapt to conditions will thrive. And what of whether they fought in a ring, or an octogon? Cutting the ring down in a square is different. You cannot cut a ring the same way when there are eight corners.

Comment

Roy was a chinless bum at that point. Silva would have probably slept him as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X