• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by User Name HERE View Post

Charley Burley has entered the chat.
    Damn right he has!

Comment

NO GOATS for me

But someone has to be at the top.

I would say Armstrong just because he covered more territory.

That's like a shark that fought and conquered half the seas and oceans in the world. And there was a time when his reign was being emperor of THREE oceans.

SRR is a type of shark that stayed dominant and invincible in a couple of oceans (not at the same time though), he had to move to the different ocean to do that.

Comment

These discussions made me appreciate Robinson, Armstrong, Greb, etc.

We have recency bias with the likes of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo etc.

For instance, Armstrong's reign in glamour divisions (featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight) is stronger than Pacquiao's (flyweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight)

Another one, Robinson fought everyone, anywhere, anytime and gave rematches against other hall of famers whereas Floyd total opposite and refused to rematch any hall of famer he fought (which makes him a one trick pony amongst hall of famers)

Comment

Originally posted by User Name HERE View Post
          What fighter had more wins than Sugar Ray Robinson while at the same time had less losses that SRL?

Robinson retired with 174-19-6 record (+2 no contests) after 201 fights.
          This other fighter had a 193-7-1 record after 201 fights.

Even the most casual of boxing fan knows I am speaking of Willie Pep. Finally ending his career with 229-11-1 record.

Willie surpassed Ray in every aspect except perhaps punching power: Ray 62.64% KO's, Willie 28.38% KO's

All things considered Willy is the GOAT.
          Langford, Greb, SRR in that order.
          Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

I wonder who upper level contemporary boxers think the GOAT was? Are their opinions as spread out as ours?
            User Name HERE User Name HERE likes this.

Comment

A vote for Armstrong. In my era I would say Duran. People forget that Duran was lightweight for over 6 years. Loss to Hagler in a very close to 15UD. Ali would be #2 Because his biggest wins against Foreman and Frazier was an Ali past his prime.
              Last edited by mrbig1; 01-28-2024, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
                I wonder who upper level contemporary boxers think the GOAT was? Are their opinions as spread out as ours?
                Do you think any boxer can give an unbiased answer?

Wouldn't they slip into the subconscious problem of choosing someone that matches their style; simliar weight class; own hertiage, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Do you think any boxer can give an unbiased answer?

Wouldn't they slip into the subconscious problem of choosing someone that matches their style; simliar weight class; own hertiage, etc.?
                  The point of industry insider opinion isn't to seek an unbias opinion it's to seek an opinion whose biases were formed by the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by RGJTMMRDCMJRJSM View Post
                    These discussions made me appreciate Robinson, Armstrong, Greb, etc.

We have recency bias with the likes of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo etc.

For instance, Armstrong's reign in glamour divisions (featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight) is stronger than Pacquiao's (flyweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight)

Another one, Robinson fought everyone, anywhere, anytime and gave rematches against other hall of famers whereas Floyd total opposite and refused to rematch any hall of famer he fought (which makes him a one trick pony amongst hall of famers)
                    - - Nice for instance Bias, cong****!!!

Armstrong won most of his title bouts at welter like Manny. He was only at lightweight and feather for a nano second.

Stylistically, a super fast welter like Manny who had a bigger punch beats him most of the time.

Comment

Roy Jones Jr

Comment

Working...
                      X