Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Heavyweights In Your Mind Defeat A Prime Joe Louis (Past Or Present)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post

I think this is one I have not seen! Thanks .
    You're watching the match huh

Comment

• Marciano and perhaps Ali.

Marciano always beats Louis because no matter how much of a licking Louis can dish out, Marciano can very likely take it, but Louis won’t be able to take his. Louis would have to stop him on cuts. Which is a possibility, as a young Louis early on would slice Marciano up. His punch resistance won’t be any better though and when Marciano connects its gonna be the same result.

Louis and Ali is a tough one. I figure Louis calm but bad tempered attitude would look through Alis agitating tactics and it would end up being a fight. I just have this feeling and can’t really prove it. I am basing it off the interactions they had in interviews. Louis is very sound fundamentally and has possibly the best jab in heavyweight history. Its unfortunate the camera quality in his prime doesn’t let us see it. Louis stance positions himself to be a very closed target with no openings. This is blackburns work, a man with 300 professional fights. The stalking Louis would often incite opponents to back up because of this, even those larger than he due to then wondering how to approach his stance. His jab at his peak is very fast, direct and sharp. This would trouble Ali I believe, and maybe allow Louis to land something hard. In addition, Louis does not have slow feet, he actually has fast feet, and is capable of using them whenever he needs to. (Vs big fighters like buddy baer etc) Louis has very technically sound footwork. Louis is poker bodied. He gives you nothing.

Ali on the otherhand has a great set of legs and a smooth hard to read style. His fast hands will allow him to land on joe and maybe catch him coming in. Ali is a lot more open than Louis. He doesn’t close himself up. So he would be on his bike moving around keeping Joe chasing him. Like Billy Conn. however! Ali is much larger than the smaller Conn. so while Ali is as fast as a light heavy, he’s still a much bigger target than Conn ans therefore easier to hit. this is a tough one to really pick a winner. I think it would have been a war to be honest.

remember when watching Louis, he defended his title 25 times. So he often wasn’t as motivated because he was winning so consistently. When Louis is fighting for all the marbles though, a Demon shows up.
      Last edited by them_apples; 03-26-2024, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
        To take it a touch further . . . Decision fights came about to appease the gamblers, who were a driving force of the game.

First off, bookmakers would take bets based on an agreed upon sport writer decision, later on based on an official (immediate) referee decision, to eventually judges count rounds, finally to judges counting points.

Unfortunately what started as an adjustment for gamblers became an end unto itself. Thus the nature of the game as it is today, counting punches.

This counting punches thing is so prevalent that posters here make stupid remarks, about how if the fight had ended in the 20th round, Johnson would have beaten Willard. But it didn't, the fight was scheduled for 45 rounds, mainly to avoid the need for the decision. It is a totaly irrelevant argument. So it's really a pointless point to make.

Trivia: What was the first fight to see the HW championship change hands on a decision?

What was the next time the HW Championship changed hands via a KO or TKO?

No fair looking it up. Pull it out your ass or let someone else try.
        The point about Johnson being in the lead after 20 rds indeed after 25 rds, is to give the lie to Dr Z's claim that Willard was not far behind in the scoring when in fact he was the same man says Jeffries v Johnson was level after 10rds it wasn't.
        Burns v Hart.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Marciano and perhaps Ali.

Marciano always beats Louis because no matter how much of a licking Louis can dish out, Marciano can very likely take it, but Louis wonÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂt be able to take his. Louis would have to stop him on cuts. Which is a possibility, as a young Louis early on would slice Marciano up. His punch resistance wonÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂt be any better though and when Marciano connects its gonna be the same result.

Louis and Ali is a tough one. I figure Louis calm but bad tempered attitude would look through Alis agitating tactics and it would end up being a fight. I just have this feeling and canÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂt really prove it. I am basing it off the interactions they had in interviews. Louis is very sound fundamentally and has possibly the best jab in heavyweight history. Its unfortunate the camera quality in his prime doesnÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂt let us see it. Louis stance positions himself to be a very closed target with no openings. This is blackburns work, a man with 300 professional fights. The stalking Louis would often incite opponents to back up because of this, even those larger than he due to then wondering how to approach his stance. His jab at his peak is very fast, direct and sharp. This would trouble Ali I believe, and maybe allow Louis to land something hard. In addition, Louis does not have slow feet, he actually has fast feet, and is capable of using them whenever he needs to. (Vs big fighters like buddy baer etc) Louis has very technically sound footwork. Louis is poker bodied. He gives you nothing.

Ali on the otherhand has a great set of legs and a smooth hard to read style. His fast hands will allow him to land on joe and maybe catch him coming in. Ali is a lot more open than Louis. He doesnÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂt close himself up. So he would be on his bike moving around keeping Joe chasing him. Like Billy Conn. however! Ali is much larger than the smaller Conn. so while Ali is as fast as a light heavy, heÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs still a much bigger target than Conn ans therefore easier to hit. this is a tough one to really pick a winner. I think it would have been a war, to be honest.

remember when watching Louis, he defended his title 25 times. So he often wasnâÃÂÃÂt as motivated because he was winning so consistently. When Louis is fighting for all the marbles though, a Demon shows up.
          Yup, a demon showed up vs guys with tech and flaws of his era never fought anybody as advanced as the average 70s HW though so it's not really anything to brag on want me to show the louis ali fought? He was way more advanced than Joe was and his whole era

Comment

• Originally posted by Ascended View Post

Yup, a demon showed up vs guys with tech and flaws of his era never fought anybody as advanced as the average 70s HW though so it's not really anything to brag on want me to show the louis ali fought? He was way more advanced than Joe was and his whole era
            Money The Man. The internet's trolling virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivich View Post
              Money The Man. The internet's trolling virus.
              If that were me, he wouldn't be asking crazy idiots to provide video to prove him wrong. That's all I care about, and I show videos that destroy you, cult members.

That's what a virus does usually causes discomfort/pain that must be why you crazy cult members are always hurt by my truth
              Last edited by Ascended; 03-28-2024, 07:42 AM.

Comment

If that were me, he wouldn't be asking crazy idiots to provide video to prove him wrong. That's all I care about, and I show videos that destroy you, cult members.

That's what a virus does usually causes discomfort/pain that must be why you crazy cult members are always hurt by my truth
                - - What brand BigBoys U wear, Harry Potters or Barney?

Comment

As far as I am concerned you are just an ignorant troll .Money The Man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivich View Post

As far as I am concerned you are just an ignorant troll . Money The Man.
                    I'm what a crazy idiot calls me even that name that's not me, what else do you wanna claim I am since what you say is fact in you're mind

still can't alter/delete a video though that hurts you and you're cult bad huh

I'll keep showing the truth you can't stop me
                    Last edited by Ascended; 03-28-2024, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I'm what a crazy idiot calls me even that name that's not me still can't alter/delete a video though that hurts you and you're cult bad huh

I'll keep showing the truth you can't stop me
                      I've no wish to stop you,you're an irrelevance to us,if you want to jerk off while talking nonsense fill your boots,nobody cares what you have to say.
                      You should team up with Queensbury Fool,like you he is just happy ,and content to see his name here.

Two morons together.
                      Last edited by Ivich; 03-28-2024, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X