Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Heavyweights In Your Mind Defeat A Prime Joe Louis (Past Or Present)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Heavyweights In Your Mind Defeat A Prime Joe Louis (Past Or Present)?

Discuss.......................

jack dempsey
    jim jeffries
    Dr. Z Dr. Z likes this.

Comment

bs jim jeffries gets served up quick, louis would beat the **** outta him...

win for sure:
      ali, holmes -movement
      liston, foreman -power

maybe:
      tyson

Comment

Louis out skills jeffries but jeffries over powers and out lasts louis

Comment

The gap of skills between Jeffries and Louis would be too big, even in his prime he wouldn't have done a lot against Jack Johnson.

Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson would all beat Louis. Except Holmes and Ali, they would even stop him.

Comment

Oooooooh, Mickey will never forgive me. But prime for prime I think the following would probably beat Louis:

Liston (albeit a very, very tough call. But if Schmelling could do it and if Gallento can knock Louis down.......its a possible)

Ali ( regulars on this section will know I fancy Ali by decision )

Foreman (another tough call, I'd fear for the chin of the much smaller Louis if they actually fought. I'm not super confident here but would shade big George by a KO/TKO).

Larry Holmes (another decision for me, similar to Ali but not quite as emphatic)

Mike Tyson (another tough call but, I just cant pick a peak Louis over a peak Tyson, the man was too fast and powerful for me)

Evander Holyfield (so close, really could go either way. Hard pushed I go with Holyfield by decision)

Riddick Bowe (at his peak this man had everything. Power, speed, amateur heritage, combinations, size and reach. I know his peak was short and as a boxing legend he bares no comparison to Louis. Trouble is.........I cant see Louis beating him)

Lennox Lewis ( Again too big and powerful. Louis does have a chance here though based on his speed, power and because we all know that Lennox is a touch vulnerable around the chin )

Ike Ibeabuchi ( this man clearly has no right in being cited as a winner over the great Joe Louis. Problem is I really think that the guy who turned up to face Tua and Byrd has a really good chance )

Wladimir/Vitali Klitschkco ( Sorry, their only real advantages are in size, reach, weight and power. I just cant see Louis as being big enough to beat them )

I do think that Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney, Rocky Marciano, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton and Chris Byrd give him very tough fights. Some may well beat him but I dont have the confidence to actually favour them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Oooooooh, Mickey will never forgive me. But prime for prime I think the following would probably beat Louis:

Liston (albeit a very, very tough call. But if Schmelling could do it and if Gallento can knock Louis down.......its a possible)

Ali ( regulars on this section will know I fancy Ali by decision )

Foreman (another tough call, I'd fear for the chin of the much smaller Louis if they actually fought. I'm not super confident here but would shade big George by a KO/TKO).

Larry Holmes (another decision for me, similar to Ali but not quite as emphatic)

Mike Tyson (another tough call but, I just cant pick a peak Louis over a peak Tyson, the man was too fast and powerful for me)

Evander Holyfield (so close, really could go either way. Hard pushed I go with Holyfield by decision)

Riddick Bowe (at his peak this man had everything. Power, speed, amateur heritage, combinations, size and reach. I know his peak was short and as a boxing legend he bares no comparison to Louis. Trouble is.........I cant see Louis beating him)

Lennox Lewis ( Again too big and powerful. Louis does have a chance here though based on his speed, power and because we all know that Lennox is a touch vulnerable around the chin )

Ike Ibeabuchi ( this man clearly has no right in being cited as a winner over the great Joe Louis. Problem is I really think that the guy who turned up to face Tua and Byrd has a really good chance )

Wladimir/Vitali Klitschkco ( Sorry, their only real advantages are in size, reach, weight and power. I just cant see Louis as being big enough to beat them )

I do think that Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney, Rocky Marciano, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton and Chris Byrd give him very tough fights. Some may well beat him but I dont have the confidence to actually favour them.

Louis destroyed plenty of Huge guys. Carnera, Buddy Baer, Abe Simon to name a few. You need more than size just to beat Louis.
              mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Absolutely true Southpaw! I personally think that Lewis, Bowe, Ibeabuchi and either Klitschko are rather better than a post prime Carnera, either version of Abe Simon that fought Louis or Max's brother Buddy Baer. I'm a real Louis fan, my skin crawls when I pick some people to beat him but I honestly feel that my decisions are based on the many fight films I've seen as well as the comparative increases in the sizes of the modern day heavyweight.

Lewis and Bowe are particularly special in my opinion. For all Lewis's lack of punch resistance and Bowe's lack of discipline, at their best these guys were simply superb. I couldn't pick Louis in a head to head with them. Louis's legend and resume is better though.

Comment

Foreman And Liston Beat Prime Louis IMO

and Louis said Marciano would beat him in his prime Due to the srouching styel, he said the way Rocky fought was all wrong for him.

Maybe Tyson too.

ROOSTER

Comment

In regards to the original question I'll take guys like Ali, Holmes, Tyson over Louis. I think the fast elite heavies would be the ones to cause him trouble and possibly Michael Spinks would give him a good fight, if Billy Conn could then Spinks definatly could.

Jack Johnson was the first to spot Louis' weakness and in a way predicted what would happen when he came up against a Schmeling type of a fighter and he was right. So I'd pick Johnson over him definatly in their first fight. A rematch would be interesting.

I think Louis would do well against guys like Foreman, big slow with wide swinging hooks, Louis would work down the middle with fast powerful combos. Louis is one of the few guys I'd pick to beat a prime George. Wlad doesn't have the chin to last but Vitali might have a chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X