Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£71.25 very well spent though!!!

Happy days.

Comment

Yeah, I know you're right. But I'm from the north of Scotland and we're well known for being tight-fisted up there and old habits die hard!!

Not long til I test them out! Come on!!

Comment

Hey Unanimous, how are the Title Gels?

Am considering getting the same pair from amazon but am short of cash right now and £70 would stretch me quite a bit. Any reason you picked amazon rather than another US site?

How does the extra money you pay on customs etc. work? You go to the post office and pay the money or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          Hey Unanimous, how are the Title Gels?

Am considering getting the same pair from amazon but am short of cash right now and £70 would stretch me quite a bit. Any reason you picked amazon rather than another US site?

How does the extra money you pay on customs etc. work? You go to the post office and pay the money or something?
          Hi Clegg,

The Title Gel's are awesome! Still unhappy at the cost of delivery & import taxes but hey, it's done now and no use crying over it!!

I picked Amazon simply because I already had a credit card account set up with them.

With regards the extra money, when UPS delivered the gloves they said there was cash on delivery to be paid. This was the cost of the import tax as well as delivery from Heathrow to Edinburgh. Not sure how it would have worked if I wasn't here or didn't have the money to pay.

Full review will be forthcoming. I got in late last night after going to a friends to watch the football, so I just did a quick shadow box session when I got home. The gloves are huge but a very snug fit. I'll be giving them (and me!) a full workout over the weekend and will post a review.

Comment

Originally posted by Unanimous View Post
            Hi Clegg,

The Title Gel's are awesome! Still unhappy at the cost of delivery & import taxes but hey, it's done now and no use crying over it!!

I picked Amazon simply because I already had a credit card account set up with them.

With regards the extra money, when UPS delivered the gloves they said there was cash on delivery to be paid. This was the cost of the import tax as well as delivery from Heathrow to Edinburgh. Not sure how it would have worked if I wasn't here or didn't have the money to pay.

Full review will be forthcoming. I got in late last night after going to a friends to watch the football, so I just did a quick shadow box session when I got home. The gloves are huge but a very snug fit. I'll be giving them (and me!) a full workout over the weekend and will post a review.
            Look forward to your review on the gels!

Comment

I used the Grant gloves last night and did eight 2mins rounds on my heavy bag.

What I've found is very interesting, but when you think of it, obvious really.

In the last 3 years I've used 3 pairs of bag gloves including the new Grant ones last night. They are Rival - RB20 Elite bag gloves, Ringside - IMF Tech gloves and the Grant super power bag gloves.

We see loads of posts on this forum about "which gloves are best" when the real question is probably "which gloves are best for me" and that's were the trouble starts.

There are lots of folk on here with experience of the gloves, but that experience only applies to their own use of the gloves. Some things like quality of finish, amount of padding can be commented on generally, but how "good" the gloves are is really a personal choice and I think wearing my new Grant gloves last night really drilled that home.

I like all three of the pairs of gloves that I use, but I like them in different ways. I like the Rival gloves the least (these are 14oz gloves) as they feel a little too wide in terms of the fit and the only way I find I can use them properly is by wearing a pair of Lonsdale Evergel undergloves to fill the extra width.

Before yesterday and especially when I wanted to do a big session I'd wear the IMF gloves with normal handwraps. These gloves fit me well, have excellent (best I've ever seen) knuckle padding/protection, good wrist support and are easy to get on and off (d-ring and hook and loop). Basically I've been able to hit the bag long and hard with no hand damage. They (please correct me if I'm wrong) are also 14oz gloves and whilst they do feel bigger then the Rival gloves never felt too big or cumbersome. The only thing that I've noticed lately is that they are made from quite supple leather, which no doubt helps with fit and comfort, does allow the glove to "move" (the leather can feel like it ripples a little bit when you throw straight punches).

Last night when I wore the Grants, several things struck me, none of them bad as such, but they're the kinds of things that illustrate exactly the differences between gloves.

The finish on them is very shiny, it looks really good, but when you've been using them a while and your sweating they get wet, the bag gets wet and it is easier to slip one against the other (for comparison the IMF gloves have a matt finish and this isn't really an issue). I also got black dye from them on my face etc during this first use.

Also, the leather is quite thick or at least it feels that way, its high quality and probably so because they want the additional durability, but there is definitely no IMF equivalent ripple type effect going on. This also enhances the wrist support, which feels very good.

These gloves are also 14oz (web site says 12oz, but the glove has an internal tag saying 14, which I assume means weight - they are a large size, not regular), but feel much smaller than the IMF glove and seem to have the weight more evenly distributed throughout the entire glove. In the IMF glove a lot of the bulk is to the front and top of the glove where the padding is and when I put the IMF gloves on after wearing the Grant gloves they felt massive and a bit ponderous. Not something I'd have thought of before but when doing a direct comparison this is quite apparent.

The Grant gloves have a different kind of padding, much thinner, less responsive (don't "bounce" back when hitting the bag) and a "flatter" face than the IMF gloves. More of the glove hits the bag when jabbing for example and overall I get a very different feel from them. The glove feels "quicker" in use, much lighter than the IMF glove, but in its own way supportive and providing good protection (I wore ringside gel wraps underneath - they just about fit!).

In addition the Grant glove feels a much tighter fit on me, still comfortable, but with absolutely no movement.

The point of all of the above, in my opinion, is that gloves are different and you get something quite different with each brand. With the 3 pairs I have, none of them are bad and some are better at certain things than others, but all of them are acceptable - you wouldn't be unhappy with any of them if you'd not tried any others - but I'm beginning to form a personal preference around the IMF for ultimate protection and the Gran gloves for feel and speed (it'll be interesting to see if that remains the same as they break in, if/when the leather softens a little and allows the shape to relax a bit).

Personally I'd recommend both the IMF gloves and the Grant gloves (be aware that the internal finish of the Grant gloves is "rougher" literally than the Ringside gloves, no soft or silky liner here) to anyone for use on a punch bag and I think that the Grant gloves would be very good also on mitts, not sure that the same is true of the IMF for that purpose.

If anyone was considering buying the Rival gloves I'd recommend the 12oz as I found the 14oz too big (unless you're got larger or very wide hands).

Just my onion based on my (limited) experience so far, but thought it worth sharing.

I'll be using the Grants again tonight, if anything changes radically I'll update this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombz View Post
                I used the Grant gloves last night and did eight 2mins rounds on my heavy bag.

What I've found is very interesting, but when you think of it, obvious really.

In the last 3 years I've used 3 pairs of bag gloves including the new Grant ones last night. They are Rival - RB20 Elite bag gloves, Ringside - IMF Tech gloves and the Grant super power bag gloves.

We see loads of posts on this forum about "which gloves are best" when the real question is probably "which gloves are best for me" and that's were the trouble starts.

There are lots of folk on here with experience of the gloves, but that experience only applies to their own use of the gloves. Some things like quality of finish, amount of padding can be commented on generally, but how "good" the gloves are is really a personal choice and I think wearing my new Grant gloves last night really drilled that home.

I like all three of the pairs of gloves that I use, but I like them in different ways. I like the Rival gloves the least (these are 14oz gloves) as they feel a little too wide in terms of the fit and the only way I find I can use them properly is by wearing a pair of Lonsdale Evergel undergloves to fill the extra width.

Before yesterday and especially when I wanted to do a big session I'd wear the IMF gloves with normal handwraps. These gloves fit me well, have excellent (best I've ever seen) knuckle padding/protection, good wrist support and are easy to get on and off (d-ring and hook and loop). Basically I've been able to hit the bag long and hard with no hand damage. They (please correct me if I'm wrong) are also 14oz gloves and whilst they do feel bigger then the Rival gloves never felt too big or cumbersome. The only thing that I've noticed lately is that they are made from quite supple leather, which no doubt helps with fit and comfort, does allow the glove to "move" (the leather can feel like it ripples a little bit when you throw straight punches).

Last night when I wore the Grants, several things struck me, none of them bad as such, but they're the kinds of things that illustrate exactly the differences between gloves.

The finish on them is very shiny, it looks really good, but when you've been using them a while and your sweating they get wet, the bag gets wet and it is easier to slip one against the other (for comparison the IMF gloves have a matt finish and this isn't really an issue). I also got black dye from them on my face etc during this first use.

Also, the leather is quite thick or at least it feels that way, its high quality and probably so because they want the additional durability, but there is definitely no IMF equivalent ripple type effect going on. This also enhances the wrist support, which feels very good.

These gloves are also 14oz (web site says 12oz, but the glove has an internal tag saying 14, which I assume means weight - they are a large size, not regular), but feel much smaller than the IMF glove and seem to have the weight more evenly distributed throughout the entire glove. In the IMF glove a lot of the bulk is to the front and top of the glove where the padding is and when I put the IMF gloves on after wearing the Grant gloves they felt massive and a bit ponderous. Not something I'd have thought of before but when doing a direct comparison this is quite apparent.

The Grant gloves have a different kind of padding, much thinner, less responsive (don't "bounce" back when hitting the bag) and a "flatter" face than the IMF gloves. More of the glove hits the bag when jabbing for example and overall I get a very different feel from them. The glove feels "quicker" in use, much lighter than the IMF glove, but in its own way supportive and providing good protection (I wore ringside gel wraps underneath - they just about fit!).

In addition the Grant glove feels a much tighter fit on me, still comfortable, but with absolutely no movement.

The point of all of the above, in my opinion, is that gloves are different and you get something quite different with each brand. With the 3 pairs I have, none of them are bad and some are better at certain things than others, but all of them are acceptable - you wouldn't be unhappy with any of them if you'd not tried any others - but I'm beginning to form a personal preference around the IMF for ultimate protection and the Gran gloves for feel and speed (it'll be interesting to see if that remains the same as they break in, if/when the leather softens a little and allows the shape to relax a bit).

Personally I'd recommend both the IMF gloves and the Grant gloves (be aware that the internal finish of the Grant gloves is "rougher" literally than the Ringside gloves, no soft or silky liner here) to anyone for use on a punch bag and I think that the Grant gloves would be very good also on mitts, not sure that the same is true of the IMF for that purpose.

If anyone was considering buying the Rival gloves I'd recommend the 12oz as I found the 14oz too big (unless you're got larger or very wide hands).

Just my onion based on my (limited) experience so far, but thought it worth sharing.

I'll be using the Grants again tonight, if anything changes radically I'll update this thread.
                Thanx a lot man, that is good info for anyone who's thinking about buying some new bag gloves! Really clear and helpfull ,..and yes , it's personal wich gloves you prefer , and how you said it , you cant go wrong with the three brands you named!

Very usefull!!

Comment

For the Grant Campeon Super bag gloves, would I need a regular or a large size? I am 5'11 168 pounds, normal size hands I would say.. Also, how are your grants holding up after several uses? Is the surface material still solid and no signs of tearing or anything anywhere?

thanks

Comment

I'd get a large size. I have and they are "snug" - not tight, but I think that the regular would be too small (certainly for me).

The gloves are holding up well and feel like they'll only get better with time to be honest.

Comment

how big are you Bombz?? I am 5'11 168 pounds, normal size hands to give you an idea

Comment

Working...
                      X