No announcement yet.

Greatest Heavyweights Of All Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
    Lol! Yeah a few were washed like Tyson & Holyfield. I just threw some of them guys in because well they were all ranked at the time. Liahkovich was a world champion. Oquendo was a 2 time title challenger & should have got the nod against Byrd. Someone who Vitali Klitschko lost to in 2000. Austin actually fought his way to a title shot & still scored a few upset wins & drew with some decent fighters. Some of the names you are laughing at were better than Kevin Johnson, Sosnowski, Danny Williams, a shot out of his weight Adamek, etc... 2004-2012 who did he beat? Arreola? Chisora... i never said he ducked anyone but who did he really beat in his career other than mostly C+ Level guys. What is his best win? Chisora? Arreola? Peter? Who did he beat to deserve to be in the HOF? He never cleaned out the division & he never beat some of the guys that were active & contenders.
    Liakovich (in 2006) was only champion when Vitali was retired between 2004-08. I get what you’re saying man but none of those guys you listed where really worth fighting. I don’t see much difference in quality between say Chisora or Fres Oquendo. They’re all just irrelevant C level guys to me.

I’d have liked to have seen him rematch Byrd maybe, he was winning that fight before he pulled out with the shoulder, Chris Byrd was a good fighter too. Wlad’s best win IMO.

Corrie Sanders is his best win. They were ranked #1 and #3 when they fought and it was for the vacant Ring belt. Sanders had just knocked out Wladimir.

Sam Peter, Arreola and Gomez are all solid wins too IMO, nothing special though admittedly.

If Odlanier Solis would have got his lazy ass in shape, him vs Vitali could have been interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by 786 View Post
      Better champion? No. Better win? Probably not. I guess you could argue that fighters like Povetkin, Haye even old Mercer are better quality fighters than Wilder but I don't think they would've beaten him (Pov might've though) but yeah Lennox, Holyfield, Tyson, Bowe, Holmes all have better wins on their records than Fury's over Wilder.

You've proven to me that a good argument can be made for Fury being in the top 15, I believe it's a little premature but he's still active and is on course to finishing his career as a top 10 ATG provided he beats AJ and has a few defenses against solid opposition leaving no doubts that he's the man of this era. It's possible and I believe likely but I'd prefer to wait for it to happen before crowning him.
      Shame Wilder-Povetkin never happened, would have been an interesting fight. I’d have favoured Wilder but I think Povetkin would have had his moments.

Povetkin and Byrd are Wlad’s best wins IMO. I always felt Haye was a complete con man, never beat anyone world class besides Mormeck.

Yeah I agree... add Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton etc to that list as well. From the 70’s-90’s there where a lot of quality contenders. Aside from Holmes era which was considered a bit weak.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
        Shame Wilder-Povetkin never happened, would have been an interesting fight. I’d have favoured Wilder but I think Povetkin would have had his moments.

Povetkin and Byrd are Wlad’s best wins IMO. I always felt Haye was a complete con man, never beat anyone world class besides Mormeck.

Yeah I agree... add Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton etc to that list as well. From the 70’s-90’s there where a lot of quality contenders. Aside from Holmes era which was considered a bit weak.
        Yeah some heavyweights from the 70's definitely had better wins but I didn't want to go that far back because of my initial comment of 'not having to go too far back to find heavyweights with better wins...'.

I agree that Byrd is probably a better win than Haye who wasn't very good at heavyweight but was still a titleholder and I believe ranks up there with Wlad's better wins.

As time has gone on, it's even more annoying that Wilder-Povetkin never happened. It would've been a good gauge of how good Wilder is.

Comment

Austin actually fought his way to a title shot & still scored a few upset wins & drew with some decent fighters. Some of the names you are laughing at were better than Kevin Johnson, Sosnowski, Danny Williams, a shot out of his weight Adamek, etc... 2004-2012 who did he beat? Arreola? Chisora... i never said he ducked anyone but who did he really beat in his career other than mostly C+ Level guys. What is his best win? Chisora? Arreola? Peter? Who did he beat to deserve to be in the HOF? He never cleaned out the division & he never beat some of the guys that were active & contenders.
          - - Adamek a long time Ring p4per when Vit KOed him.

Ok, u don't like eastern Euros...busted!

Comment

Hi Sadiq, nice to see you stepping up your game with videos. I used to enjoy your Boxing rankings threads.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
              Liakovich (in 2006) was only champion when Vitali was retired between 2004-08. I get what you’re saying man but none of those guys you listed where really worth fighting. I don’t see much difference in quality between say Chisora or Fres Oquendo. They’re all just irrelevant C level guys to me.

I’d have liked to have seen him rematch Byrd maybe, he was winning that fight before he pulled out with the shoulder, Chris Byrd was a good fighter too. Wlad’s best win IMO.

Corrie Sanders is his best win. They were ranked #1 and #3 when they fought and it was for the vacant Ring belt. Sanders had just knocked out Wladimir.

Sam Peter, Arreola and Gomez are all solid wins too IMO, nothing special though admittedly.

If Odlanier Solis would have got his lazy ass in shape, him vs Vitali could have been interesting...
              Yeah I never did understand why he didn’t fight Byrd again. He would have beat him easily imo. Really all he needed to do in their fight was just lean back & avoid anything big from Byrd & he still wins. Vitali had HOF talent but I just don’t see the resume to back it. Byrd was a very underrated fighter & that probably was Wlads best win or maybe Povetkin. Sanders was a glorified journeyman who was never in great shape. He had great power but no stamina. He really just moonlighted as a prizefighter as he had a game farm & other things outside of boxing that kept him busy. He was known for 2 fights really. The rahman & wlad fights. He was so out of shape when he fought Vitali it was disappointing. Would have loved to seen that guy box fulltime & arrive in all fights the shape he was in for Wlad. Side note about wlad/Sanders. Larry Merchant said Sanders was the 11th guy offered the fight because 10 others had turned down the biggest payday of their careers before him. I’m pretty sure Wlad took him lightly & Sanders had nothing to lose so he got in the best shape of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - - Adamek a long time Ring p4per when Vit KOed him.

Ok, u don't like eastern Euros...busted!
                I like Povetkin currently & Golota & Neven Pajkic were 2 of my favourites. Never had an issue with Liahkovich. Always liked Oleg Maskaev. Think Wlad is a surefire HOFer but just don’t think Vitali did enough to earn a spot in the HOF. Hall of fame talent there is no question about it but the resume is not HOF worthy. You can’t say I don’t like Eastern Euro fighters just because I think Vitali is not worthy of the hall from what he actually did in the ring... actually I always thought Adamek was a tough SOB but he was on the decline when he moved to HW. Adamek beat Arreola at HW but other than that he got a few gifts before getting starched by Eric Molina. He was easy prey for Vitali...
                Last edited by joe strong; 10-29-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Taylor View Post
                  mccall is just a strong journeyman. and lewis was only willing to rematch him when he knew mcall was weak.
                  coward move by lewis.

rahman is a bum.

lewis era was one of the weakest in heavyweight history and he still struggled.
                  Mike Tyson paid Lewis 4 million to step aside so he could fight Bruce Seldon with a guaranteed title shot next. Tyson ducked Lewis & vacated so Lennox fought McCall for the vacant WBC title. It was Don King who steered Tyson clear of Lewis then with his influence got his fighter McCall the title shot even though he just got out of rehab. The WBC was at fault for allowing McCall to be in that fight in the first place but he had KO’d lewis once before so they let it happen. So the 90s was a weak era? I guess it was pointless responding. You must think The Klitschko & current era are a complete joke then because the 90s was a whole lot deeper & everyone fought each other.
                  Last edited by joe strong; 10-29-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Mike Tyson paid Lewis 4 million to step aside so he could fight Bruce Seldon with a guaranteed title shot next. Tyson ducked Lewis & vacated so Lennox fought McCall for the vacant WBC title. It was Don King who steered Tyson clear of Lewis then with his influence got his fighter McCall the title shot even though he just got out of rehab. The WBC was at fault for allowing McCall to be in that fight in the first place but he had KO’d lewis once before so they let it happen. So the 90s was a weak era? I guess it was pointless responding. You must think The Klitschko & current era are a complete joke then because the 90s was a whole lot deeper & everyone fought each other.
                    what was so good about the 90s era LMAO 🤣😂😂

the era that had the golotas and bothas of the world LMAO 😝😜😝

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Taylor View Post
                      what was so good about the 90s era LMAO ������

the era that had the golotas and bothas of the world LMAO ������
                      What era do you consider better? Obviously the Ali era but are going to tell me the 80s or the 2000s? Now? How old are you? Why do I get this feeling you were too young for the 90s? If you were around & actually watching back then Golota & Botha were both decent HWs. They were not top 10 but they were decent. Golota made a lot of money & everyone wanted to fight him because he could pack MSG in New York with Poles. He often got bigger purses than the guy giving him a title shot. He got 4 title shots. Botha I would compare to Chisora. A tough SOB who fought anyone & would stand in the middle of the ring & slug it out even when he was seriously outgunned. Everyone tuned into Golota fights because you never knew what he was going to do.
                      Last edited by joe strong; 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X