Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Usyk is Focused on Skill, Not Bulking Up, Says Sparring Partner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a fun little topic. Obviously skill is more important than size, but that is only to a certain extent: I would favor most any heavyweight to pick apart Lomachenko (or whomever you think is the top Lt weight) despite the skill difference. So I use that absurdity to show that size does matter.

Now, there is very little a fighter can do to alter his size (reach is reach, height is height, etc), so to what extent would adding weight make him better? Especially against modern heavies who will be outweighing him as is.

Comment

Good because I think he is completely overrated, the probably the most overrated fighter in the game today!

Usyk will be brutally stopped by all of the top 3-4 heavyweights, even Tyson Fury will take him apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
        This is good news. Usyk just needs to be Usyk. A bit bigger but the focus should be on the skills. Really looking forward to this fight. Should be a good gauge for where he's at.
        Yeah

Even if he bulked up, he is still going to be the smaller man against the top heavyweights, so he should just be the smaller man and fight at the weight he feels comfortable, rather than adding excess weight.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
          Good because I think he is completely overrated, the probably the most overrated fighter in the game today!

Usyk will be brutally stopped by all of the top 3-4 heavyweights, even Tyson Fury will take him apart.
          We'll find out soon enough how he gets on at HW. Few expect him to fare well with the really big guys, Fury and Joshua, but Wilder could be interesting. Lest we forget, Wilder has been coming in pretty light in recent fights, and Wilder and Usyk would likely be similar weights - Usyk might actually weight more. Wilder has said he's going to bulk up, but would that help him ?

I don't think anyone would claim Wilder's boxing skills are better than Usyks, nor anyone who would credit Usyk with Wilder's power, so would be a boxer vs puncher affair. Boxers usually win those.

Comment

Wilder was 212 I believe vs Fury. Yes he is very tall but still....212. Usyk at 215 would still have a chance versus decent hw ....against Wilder-Fury-Joshua? I dont know. Baby Miller vs Usyk would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
              We'll find out soon enough how he gets on at HW. Few expect him to fare well with the really big guys, Fury and Joshua, but Wilder could be interesting. Lest we forget, Wilder has been coming in pretty light in recent fights, and Wilder and Usyk would likely be similar weights - Usyk might actually weight more. Wilder has said he's going to bulk up, but would that help him ?

I don't think anyone would claim Wilder's boxing skills are better than Usyks, nor anyone who would credit Usyk with Wilder's power, so would be a boxer vs puncher affair. Boxers usually win those.
              Usyk will win afew fights but, I just believe he is a brutal knock out waiting to happen at heavyweight 'I don't rate him, and I have never been impressed by any of his performances' Bellew was a zombie when he fought him. In Usky I just see a fighter who enjoys getting off most of his work at mid-long range, and for me? He cannot fight on he inside, and does not have respectable power at heavyweight!

Deontay Wilder gets out boxed all of the time, if you cannot hurt him 'The odd's are he is going to seriously hurt you and end the fight at some stage' Usyk cannot hurt any of the big boys in my opinion, and his boxing skills? Are not on the level where, he is going to make these heavyweights appear as if he is Neo from the Matrix.

I just don't rate him, and I believe David Haye was a better cruiser-weight and soon to be heavyweight fighter.

All the best to him though.
              Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 04-04-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                Usyk will win afew fights but, I just believe he is a brutal knock out waiting to happen at heavyweight 'I don't rate him, and I have never been impressed by any of his performances' Bellew was a zombie when he fought him. In Usky I just see a fighter who enjoys getting off most of his work at mid-long range, and for me? He cannot fight on he inside, and does not have respectable power at heavyweight!

Deontay Wilder gets out boxed all of the time, if you cannot hurt him 'The odd's are he is going to seriously hurt you and end the fight at some stage' Usyk cannot hurt any of the big boys in my opinion, and his boxing skills? Are not on the level where, he is going to make these heavyweights appear as if he is Neo from the Matrix.

I just don't rate him, and I believe David Haye was a better cruiser-weight and soon to be heavyweight fighter.

All the best to him though.
                Prime Haye v Usyk at CW, that's a fun mythical match-up, suspect it would be a classic. Should run that one by Breadman.

I never rated Haye at HW, but at CW he was top notch - good comparison to see how Usyk does at HW vs Haye.

Comment

I think weight advantage is usually overrated. Course a lot of fighters are so close that the heavier guy might be the difference. Does anyone know what Usyk weighs in ring? I’m sure he cuts to CW. He might not even have to bulk up. Adding a couple pounds of muscle is good for promoting the move up. At HW there’s gonna be guys with longer reach, taller, things he’s not used to dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    He will beat all heavyweights weighing 205 . Kind of like Mayweather weighing 150 fight night beating guys weighing 170 fight night skills will prevail over size
                    Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                    This is good news. Usyk just needs to be Usyk. A bit bigger but the focus should be on the skills. Really looking forward to this fight. Should be a good gauge for where he's at.
                    I'm predicting he'll weigh in around 210 - 215 and see how the extra weight affects him. I think he's aiming for 220 - 225 ultimately, but will get there gradually over 2 or 3 fights.
                    Last edited by kafkod; 04-04-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what he does at HW. Probably the same thing, maybe he'll win most of his fights on decision.
                      He sets a fast pace, which might exhaust some bigger guys ...so maybe he will do well.

If the HW opponents can't land much on him...and he gets big enough to weather what they do land..it could be good for him.

If he gains weight it might mainly be so that he can withstand the attack , moreso maybe than gaining weight so that he can knock people out.

He reminds me a bit of Gvozdyk how he is tiring to fight and doesn't waste much energy. Doesn't load up a lot.
                      But like Gvozdyk he keeps the pace fairly brutal.

Seems maybe might even absorb some punishment while setting traps for his opponents. He gets them feeling confident while he tires them out.

And then gradually starts letting his hands go, more each round. He sneaks up on people. By the time they realize he's toying with them its too late, they are tired.

Comment

Working...
                      X