Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Usyk is Focused on Skill, Not Bulking Up, Says Sparring Partner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
    I think weight advantage is usually overrated. Course a lot of fighters are so close that the heavier guy might be the difference. Does anyone know what Usyk weighs in ring? I’m sure he cuts to CW. He might not even have to bulk up. Adding a couple pounds of muscle is good for promoting the move up. At HW there’s gonna be guys with longer reach, taller, things he’s not used to dealing with.
    About 210 after making 200, I believe. I read that he walks around at 220 and loses weight by restricting his calorie intake during camp, rather than by drying out for the weigh in.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
      About 210 after making 200, I believe. I read that he walks around at 220 and loses weight by restricting his calorie intake during camp, rather than by drying out for the weigh in.
      Thanks man. Maybe now he won’t have to restrict anything, and show up as comfortable as possible.
      I told everyone that Nunes was going to KO Cyborg. It seemed obvious to me, so I was more shocked at how many people picked it wrong. I think a lot of that was based on people saying how intimidating Cyborg was and how she “cuts from 180” etc. Nunes weighed at the limit, maybe looking a little softer than usual but u know she was comfortable. Didn’t have to fight to make weight. Everyone said Cyborg looked huge but no one mentioned that she came in a pound under. That means it was enough of a concern and struggle that she ended up doing more than she had too. I’m just mentioning it because I think there’s so many factors before the weight comes in. The “I’m just gonna lean on him all night with my extra weight” is such a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
        Thanks man. Maybe now he won’t have to restrict anything, and show up as comfortable as possible.
        I told everyone that Nunes was going to KO Cyborg. It seemed obvious to me, so I was more shocked at how many people picked it wrong. I think a lot of that was based on people saying how intimidating Cyborg was and how she “cuts from 180” etc. Nunes weighed at the limit, maybe looking a little softer than usual but u know she was comfortable. Didn’t have to fight to make weight. Everyone said Cyborg looked huge but no one mentioned that she came in a pound under. That means it was enough of a concern and struggle that she ended up doing more than she had too. I’m just mentioning it because I think there’s so many factors before the weight comes in. The “I’m just gonna lean on him all night with my extra weight” is such a myth.
        Well, nobody has to cut weight in the HW division, and a lot of the really big men do use their size to tire smaller opponents out by mauling and leaning on them up close. It remains to be seen whether those tactics will work against Usyk. That's one of the things that make his move up to HW so interesting. I expect he'll be a lot stronger when he can eat as much as he wants during camp, and it may give him extra pop in his punches.
        Last edited by kafkod; 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

201 lbs. Slim, slick, smooth, and swift.

His heavyweight name Zander Cassius.

AJ will be swinging at air all night long.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            He will beat all heavyweights weighing 205 . Kind of like Mayweather weighing 150 fight night beating guys weighing 170 fight night skills will prevail over size
            Usyk will weigh more than 205 just by not having to cut weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
              The same 150 Mayweather that needed illegally large amounts of saline IVs vs Pacquiao because he was "dehydrated" making 147?

Like yeah if those numbers were true, then we could say Usyk can also do it, but I'm starting to really doubt those "unofficial" numbers that said Floyd was 10 or 15 lbs smaller than his opponents but in reality he looked just as heavy or heavier, and the way his punches affected them, and the way he took their punches, suggested the same thing. I actually believe Floyd was 7 lbs smaller than Castillo, like Loma was 11 smaller than Salido, and you could see the effect in both of those fights. Floyd later fights at 147, even 154, never had that effect because I believe by then, he had filled out to the point he was one of the biggest welterweights, and those fight night weight numbers given by HBO or Showtime were fake. Just my opinion.

Also, a 150 lbs fighter can still maybe take one great punch from a 170 lbs guy, because it's still two medium to smaller men in the ring, but a 205 might not even be able to take one great punch from a 250 guy. The size difference is magnified at heavyweight. The weight class favors punchers more than boxers much more than welterweight does.
              Weight drain and dehydration don't always mean the same thing dumb dumb. You can get dehydration from the flu or from simply overtraining.

Bermaine Stirvirne was dehydrated in the Wilder fight but that wasn't because of weight draining, Heavyweights don't get weight Dr because they don't have to cut weight. He was dehydrated because he overtrained.

In training camp for Pac, Mayweather started chopping wood, training he hadn't done for more than a decade. He did that underwater training stuff that he hadn't done in his life either, and he did all these other new training programs that were revealed on media and video that he had never done before.

It is entirely possible that he overtrained in fact I remember when those articles came out alot of people were saying he is gonna overtrain himself and then when it happened, same people switch and claim he can't possibly be dehydrated. What you think happens when a guy overtrains?

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
                We'll find out soon enough how he gets on at HW. Few expect him to fare well with the really big guys, Fury and Joshua, but Wilder could be interesting. Lest we forget, Wilder has been coming in pretty light in recent fights, and Wilder and Usyk would likely be similar weights - Usyk might actually weight more. Wilder has said he's going to bulk up, but would that help him ?

I don't think anyone would claim Wilder's boxing skills are better than Usyks, nor anyone who would credit Usyk with Wilder's power, so would be a boxer vs puncher affair. Boxers usually win those.
                I truly don't get why the fool wants to bulk him. What defaq for? He got the power and strength already, what he need to bulk up for.

The Fury fight exposed his lack of skill and ability to make quick adjustments, and his lack of stamina.

How defaq does bulking up solve those issues?

Comment

In a recent interview Usyk said he is around 215 lb right now. And that he will not add more then 3 lb in a year, as that would reduce his effectiveness.

30-40 pounds difference is significant. I think he will find it hard against top big heavies that know how to use their weight, like Fury. Takam will be a good test, especially if comes heavy like when against Chisora.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksfan View Post
                    Speed is the key for Usyk, he call himself a rabbit for a reason.
                    Oh, I thought he called himself a rabbit because he likes to **** bunnies all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                      He will beat all heavyweights weighing 205 . Kind of like Mayweather weighing 150 fight night beating guys weighing 170 fight night skills will prevail over size
                      I agree Usyk is best relying on his speed and movment he is never gonna be as strong so stay light and use his skills which is movement and high volume of punches.Good point about Floyd but as good as Usyk is he is NO Mayweather but at heavy he wont have to be skills drop quite a bit at heavy.

Comment

Working...
                      X