No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua Drops, Stops Alexander Povetkin in Seventh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sn1 View Post
    In Wilder's defence, he signed to fight Povetkin but the latter failed drugs tests. I reference that quite a lot because until Wilder faced Ortiz, Povetkin was by far the best guy he'd signed to fight, something Deontay's fans overlooked when criticising Povetkin as an opponent for Anthony Joshua
    He did... But then what happened? The WBC actually only called off the fight because Wilder pissed off home, rather than fly to Russia or await a decision! Duck duck duck...

I do have some sympathy in the fact that Pedboy is a drugs cheat, and I wouldn’t have wanted to fight him either, but he literally ran home.

Then he forgot about Povetkin and continued chasing bums around... and has repeatedly ducked the guy who should be mandatory all day long. Then you look across at Joshua taking out his mandatory, and you can’t help but feel sick to the stomach that a coward like Wilder has a heavyweight belt.

There is no being fair to Wilder. 40 fights into a heavyweight career and he hasn’t bothered fighting the best. Now he calls out others from a position of not willing to sign a contract, and his newly acquired fanboys are whooping and frothing in command.... US fans used to actually know something about boxing! Sad times.

And before any of you silly sally’s say it... I’m sure if AJ ever develops a coke habit, takes 2 years out, puts on 10 stone and then wobbles round the ring near a plumber, he would offer to fight him too.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheJPF View Post
      He did... But then what happened? The WBC actually only called off the fight because Wilder pissed off home, rather than fly to Russia or await a decision! Duck duck duck...

I do have some sympathy in the fact that Pedboy is a drugs cheat, and I wouldn’t have wanted to fight him either, but he literally ran home.

Then he forgot about Povetkin and continued chasing bums around... and has repeatedly ducked the guy who should be mandatory all day long. Then you look across at Joshua taking out his mandatory, and you can’t help but feel sick to the stomach that a coward like Wilder has a heavyweight belt.

There is no being fair to Wilder. 40 fights into a heavyweight career and he hasn’t bothered fighting the best. Now he calls out others from a position of not willing to sign a contract, and his newly acquired fanboys are whooping and frothing in command.... US fans used to actually know something about boxing! Sad times.

And before any of you silly sally’s say it... I’m sure if AJ ever develops a coke habit, takes 2 years out, puts on 10 stone and then wobbles round the ring near a plumber, he would offer to fight him too.
      You're a tool. "Pedboy"? Slide off your bunk bed dog

Comment

• Originally posted by Czarczar View Post
        Knocked out another old man congratulations.
        Povetkin is at least 10 years younger than Ortiz’ real age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
          Headvetkin was a tired 39 year old who used all of his energy to get Joshua out early. Fail!!!
          Sounds a bit like Ortiz vs Wilder doesnt it ?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
            You must of changed your underwear after Joshua came from behind vs. Pedvetkin. No way this clumsy-stiff bum beats the 'Bronze-Bomber' after that.

You guys will be buying Dillian Shyte part II. in April.
            wilder has never boxed anybody as good as AP and even dodged him and the cry baby ran home as quick as he could rather than fight him.
            Ortiz,spilka,washington,duhaupas is your bums legacy ...absolute pathetic resume

Comment

• Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
              wilder has never boxed anybody as good as AP and even dodged him and the cry baby ran home as quick as he could rather than fight him.
              Ortiz,spilka,washington,duhaupas is your bums legacy ...absolute pathetic resume
              You mean Wilder ducked Povetkin like Joshua ducked Ortiz? They were both mandatory challengers to each man; Ortiz was Joshua's and Povetkin was Wilder's. In Ortiz' case, he was outright ducked by AJ but Povetkin was caught cheating when he was supposed to challenge Wilder.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post

As for the fight, good stoppage victory for AJ; hopefully Povetkin and his lingering drug suspicions go away from heavyweight title scene for good. That being said, Sacha made AJ look flawed. If Deontay can catch AJ clean like Povetkin did, the fight is over.

I originally favored AJ, as fights have gone on...I think Wilder wins. That being said, the longer this fight waits I think AJ will probably close the gap as he learns. He has a ceiling he hasn't reached, I think Wilder is at his Apex. If this fight happens in April (provided Wilder beats Fury which I don't think is a given), I favor Wilder.
                I'm struggling to get any take-aways in how a Joshua/Wilder fight would play out. The first 5 rounds were all about a smaller, athletic guy trying to find a way in, and Joshua trying to keep him out. Povetkin met with enough success in 4 of those rounds to earn them (imo), with only the 4th where Joshua met with adequate success and counters to earn the round (again, just my opinion).

Trouble was, the speed and skills Povetkin was using in the first 5 were never going to make it to the last 6 rounds, and we saw in the 6th what happened once he lost the edge that was giving him most of the first 5. He was still getting through in the 6th, but for the first time started taking heavy return fire, and it was just a question of timing once Joshua landed the right in the 6th that clearly took some steam out of Povetkin.

So what we learned is that Joshua could be beaten by someone like Povetkin who could keep it up for 12 rounds. Trouble is, not many Povetkins out there, and can't think of any who could keep up what he was doing in the first 5 for 12 rounds.

Wilder isn't Povetkin, neither is Ortiz (styles), so I can't see any triangle or other theory that helps speculation on how Wilder/Joshua would play out.

For Joshua, I guess it was good sparring against Povetkin as there were clear lessons to be learned and things to work on, so that next time he fights someone with the same style he meets with greater success - so a good night for Joshua in getting a good ko, and enough work to make some improvements.

As for the stoppage, did I read someone say it was too early ?? The ref would have got a lot of flak if he let that go on any longer - its how boxers can get severe damage. He did a good job and called it right.

Comment

• Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                  You mean Wilder ducked Povetkin like Joshua ducked Ortiz? They were both mandatory challengers to each man; Ortiz was Joshua's and Povetkin was Wilder's. In Ortiz' case, he was outright ducked by AJ but Povetkin was caught cheating when he was supposed to challenge Wilder.
                  Following the win against Allen, Ortiz was named mandatory challenger for the winner of the IBF, WBA (Super) and IBO unification bout between Joshua and Klitschko that fight was on April 15th 2017.
                  Doping case
                  It was reported on September 29, 2017, Ortiz had failed a drug test carried out by VADA, part of the WBC clean programme. The drugs found in Ortiz's sample were diuretics chlorothaizide and hydrochlorothiazide, which are used to treat high blood pressure but also can be used as masking agents for performance-enhancing drugs. The urine sample was taken on September 22 in Miami. Ortiz never informed VADA that he had been on medication

So as you see dimwit if Joshua faced klitchcko in April 2017 and then ortiz then failed a drugs test in September 2017 how did Joshua avoid him lol
                  He was a banned fighter.
                  Povetkin was not banned and in fact it was wilder who cried wolf and refused to fight povetkin and ran back home to fatland.
                  Povetkin was then later cleared by vada and in turn wilder was then counter sued for 4 million which wilder lost.
                  Your heavyweight has the most pathetic record out of any past American champion I have ever seen.
                  Ali & Louis must be turning in there grave with what America has to offer as there world heavyweight champion.
                  Bummmmsquadddddddd

Comment

• Originally posted by angkag View Post
                    I'm struggling to get any take-aways in how a Joshua/Wilder fight would play out. The first 5 rounds were all about a smaller, athletic guy trying to find a way in, and Joshua trying to keep him out. Povetkin met with enough success in 4 of those rounds to earn them (imo), with only the 4th where Joshua met with adequate success and counters to earn the round (again, just my opinion).

Trouble was, the speed and skills Povetkin was using in the first 5 were never going to make it to the last 6 rounds, and we saw in the 6th what happened once he lost the edge that was giving him most of the first 5. He was still getting through in the 6th, but for the first time started taking heavy return fire, and it was just a question of timing once Joshua landed the right in the 6th that clearly took some steam out of Povetkin.

So what we learned is that Joshua could be beaten by someone like Povetkin who could keep it up for 12 rounds. Trouble is, not many Povetkins out there, and can't think of any who could keep up what he was doing in the first 5 for 12 rounds.

Wilder isn't Povetkin, neither is Ortiz (styles), so I can't see any triangle or other theory that helps speculation on how Wilder/Joshua would play out.

For Joshua, I guess it was good sparring against Povetkin as there were clear lessons to be learned and things to work on, so that next time he fights someone with the same style he meets with greater success - so a good night for Joshua in getting a good ko, and enough work to make some improvements.

As for the stoppage, did I read someone say it was too early ?? The ref would have got a lot of flak if he let that go on any longer - its how boxers can get severe damage. He did a good job and called it right.
                    very good assessment kag...povetkin is a good technical fighter make no mistake about that and it's not easy for a big guy like Joshua to not get tagged.
                    Only after a few rounds when you take the steam out of them the bigger taller guy takes over
                    Look at history and your see this.
                    Povetkin actually fell back down again and it had nothing to do with the ref so I doubt very much povetkin would have got back to his feet.
                    The ref did his job properly

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      Anyone have issues with the DAZN stream? Did the whole free trial thing & it was virtually unwatchable with the pauses & buffering bs.
                      Really? Mine didn't do that at all

Comment

Working...
                      X