Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua Drops, Stops Alexander Povetkin in Seventh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just need clarification. Are we celebrating this Joshua win over an opponent he had a decade plus age advantage over, a near 30 pound weight advantage over, a 4 inch height advantage over and a 7 inch reach advatnatage over?? If we are, let me know when the party starts.

Comment

• Wilder gonna KO Joshua in 5

Comment

• Joshua had a good KO by Joshua but he didn't look good in the beginning. He still looks vulnerable to that same punch Klitschko dropped him with.

Btw, we don't need a poll to determine Joshua's next fight. It has to be Wilder.

I wasn't sure, but did I see Povetkin's trainer pull his arm down when he was trying to get up the first KD? The ref could've stopped it right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by nick_viking View Post
          Yep, I’m hung up on that as it is the only evidence.

Again, how are you assessing that Ortiz is the better tactician, harder puncher, better counter puncher if not based on who he has fought and how he has performed?

Ability means nothing if it is not realised in the ring.
          Since when? kudos, that statement sounds sharp as fhuck but it ain't true. It's fighting, it's boxing. You have to understand what you see, and maybe be well trained in the art of fighting, I guess. Regarding your statement, I'll give you a perfect example. Adrian Broner, far better boxer than Maidana, but Maidana handled Broner that night. Arturo Ghatti and Mickey Ward, Ghatti the better boxer of the two but they were matched pretty evenly. Pac and Marquez, Marquez in terms of technical ability and boxing is leaps and bounds above Pac, but 4 fights! Or Lara was a better boxer than Canelo (I had Canelo winning by the way) when they met, yet Canelo won. Cotto vs. Trout, Cotto vs. Margaritto, Cotto vs. Malignaggi, Cotto vs. Quintana, Cotto vs. Zab Judah. Boxing is littered with fighters who are technically better than other fighters, yet they lose. That's why if you base who's better on resume, then that means you've taken the skill of the fighter out of it, but as I said that's an entirely different question. This is why most people will always consider Ali the GOAT, because Ali's name simultaneously answers all three of those questions (also hes the only heavyweight in history to move and box like he was a welterweight).

Comment

• GIFS: Anthony Joshua vs. Alexander Povetkin - Round 7 KO

Comment

• https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnvYY-IX...g&name=900x900

Comment

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
                No, I think you have me mixed up with some one else. I never said Ortiz was that much better than Povetkin. I just think that the sum of all Ortiz's abilities makes him the better fighter of the two. Ortiz is a power counter puncher who right now is trying to be a come forward knock out puncher so he can excite crowds, gain some fans, and secure a big fight. He missed a lot because that's not his style of fight. He moves in and out but he is primarily a counter puncher.
                'Ortiz being the better tactician, ability to fight in and out, harder puncher, best counter puncher in the heavyweight division. If you stack the abilities of the two together, it's clear that Ortiz is better'

lol excuses and this is you, literally, and there's no way to proove your points unless you use resumes to compare them or they actually fight. Would like to see this fight, though doubt it'd would make it to the end as both lose too much steam.

And going back to the point earlier I think it was fair of that guy to say if Washington (a guy turned pro later and older than Wilder with even less amateur pedigree) can out box Wilder then so should Povetkin by most people's expectations the is argument is whether it'd would be enough to overcome Wilders ability to survive and land the right.

Comment

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
                  So you're assumption is because Povetkin was able to get in on AJ so easily, he'd be able to do it Wilder just as easy?

Never mind that Wilder is faster than AJ, moves around quickly, unlike AJ, and prefers to fight from the outside, unlike AJ who likes to jab into closer contact. I mean style makes fights man, you can't just assume Povetkin would get close to Wilder because he got close to AJ, two completely different styles of fighting.
                  I like Wilder a lot as a fighter, but I actually think Povetkin would be something of a nightmare style for him. Wilder likes to go at his own pace and doesn’t really utilise his reach all that well. Povetkin closes distance very quickly. I think Wilder would struggle with him more than most.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
                    'Ortiz being the better tactician, ability to fight in and out, harder puncher, best counter puncher in the heavyweight division. If you stack the abilities of the two together, it's clear that Ortiz is better'

lol excuses and this is you, literally, and there's no way to proove your points unless you use resumes to compare them or they actually fight. Would like to see this fight, though doubt it'd would make it to the end as both lose too much steam.

And going back to the point earlier I think it was fair of that guy to say if Washington (a guy turned pro later and older than Wilder with even less amateur pedigree) can out box Wilder then so should Povetkin by most people's expectations the is argument is whether it'd would be enough to overcome Wilders ability to survive and land the right.
                    LOL, I don't understand what you're trying to prove with that quote. No where in that sentence do I say Ortiz is heads and shoulders above Povetkin. I listed what Ortiz does better than Povetkin as the reason he's better. If you want to ignore all the examples I've given that's fine by me, It still doesn't change the fact that resume does not equal amount of skill. I think I've been level headed and straight forward with you, but based on the tone of your last post, I'd have to say that your ability to assess boxing and the skill of a boxer is pedestrian at best, and screams of casual fandom. Because anybody who boils a fighter down to resume, has revealed his lack of knowledge and inability to judge what they see when a person fights. The nuances of boxing ability is so far lost on you that you believe in only win's and loses, regardless of the numerous amount of times in boxing history, a boxer with a better resume lost to one with a lesser resume. But your second paragraph explains why, you need Ortiz to be knocked down notches because if not, Wilder holds a win that is only second to AJ's Kiltschiko win, so you don't have the ability to see the reality because you believe wholeheartedly that AJ will beat Wilder because he has the better resume. To admit that resume means nothing, is to drop the fanboyism, and be a boxing fan. So much is your fonboy ways that you don't even realize that Ortiz is better than Washington but yet still could not defeat Wilder, and that reveals who you really are. Go play that fanboy schit with someone else, Im trying to have a conversation with nick_viking, who seems to be a legit BOXING fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redgloveman View Post
                      I like Wilder a lot as a fighter, but I actually think Povetkin would be something of a nightmare style for him. Wilder likes to go at his own pace and doesn’t really utilise his reach all that well. Povetkin closes distance very quickly. I think Wilder would struggle with him more than most.
                      I disagree, Povetkin had the advantage of speed against AJ, he loses that with Wilder. Wilder's defense is underrated, he doesn't get hit all that much. And the vast majority of his knockouts start with a long range right cross. Wilder also moves around a lot and utilizes the size of the ring. I don't think Pov gets past 5 rounds. In his prime, much more interesting, I'd still give Wilder the edge. I'd have to say that it would be a nightmare match up for Povetkin, people do tend to underestimate Wilder, ignoring the strides he's made as a boxer.

Comment

Working...
                      X