No announcement yet.

A brief chronology of lineal heavyweight champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SAINTSTEVE View Post
    I've been a big supporter of WILDER as you know but this fight isn't for the lineal championship because Joshua's not represented in the fight. Fury has simply been too inactive to claim to retain that title. But neither is Anthony Joshua the lineal champion until he deals with this Wilder side b/c Wilder has emerged at the same time as Joshua and that's just a fact.
    Fury is the lineal champion. Opinions can't change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
      Well he was the last lineal champion and hasn't been beaten. But I think you are dismissive of the fact that Joshua and Wilder have taken over in his absence. The so called lineal champs is fighting the likes of Pianeta atm and you already know this.

Comment

Despite anything you say there or your feelings about it, Wilder will become the lineal champion if he beats lineal champion Tyson Fury.
        If Fury has not yet been stripped then yes, he becomes lineal if he beats the fat chap BUT the question now is, what is the worth of the lineal title whe nAJ is the man?

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
          It's certainly one of the flaws of the lineal title. Everyone is free to decide for themselves how much something does or doesn't mean.

Nobody recognized Fury as a titlist. Most, including Ring magazine, recognize him as the lineal heavyweight champion of the world.
          The Ring don't recognise Fury as the lineal champion, and have stated repeatedly only Joshua/Wilder would be for lineal.

They as others consider a drugs ban and repeated retirements, as a grounds for ending a lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
            I personally believed the lineal title should have been recognized as vacant the second Fury tweeted that he was retired, but the consensus is that he's still lineal champion. My opinion or your opinion doesn't matter. Even Ring Magazine still refers to Tyson Fury as the lineal champion, further confirming that Ring Magazine realizes their title has nothing to do with the lineal title anymore.
            He has no claim to be lineal champion. The culmination of his PED hearing was that the Hammer fight which got him the fight against Wlad was won whilst ineligible due to doping:

“All titles, prize money and ranking points that [Fury] secured as a result of his victory in that fight are forfeited.”

The only people talking up his lineal claim are those that stand to make a buck off it.

Comment

Lennox is still lineal champion, never lost it in the ring and been away only 15 years, opinions can't change that.

Comment

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/The_Ring_Magazine%27s_Annual_Ratings:_2004

Consider you shown
                The Ring title and the lineal title are two completely different things. That'd be like if I asked you to show me an apple and instead you showed me an alligator.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  Sometimes the heavyweight champion retires so there is NO man who beat the man. Then a new heavyweight champion becomes recognized by most through accomplishment. Fury became the lineal champion by beating lineal champion Wlad. Then Fury didn't fight anybody for years. He took himself out of the heavyweight picture. The belts he won from Wlad became the property of other boxers. Was the boxing world supposed to wait on Fury forever. By refusing to fight for years I think he deserved to lose the belts he won from Wlad and to me he was no longer the lineal champ. To me he is just an ex champ making a comeback. Do people really believe if Wilder beats Fury Wilder suddenly becomes the true champion over and above AJ because he beat the lineal champ? I doubt it. I think he is still only the WBC world champion and AJ still owns all the other belts. If he wants AJ's titles he still has to take them away from him in the ring even if he KOs Fury in the first round.
                  Using your logic, Larry Holmes wouldn't be lineal either

Comment

i enjoyed this video. would love to see this for other weight classes.

Comment

These guys are just confusing themselves..... The lineal title cannot be waiting for fury. The lack of standards is an issue here.

Comment

Working...
                      X