No announcement yet.

A brief chronology of lineal heavyweight champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
    Lennox is still lineal champion, never lost it in the ring and been away only 15 years, opinions can't change that.
    Ok, so if lineage is never reestablished when a champion retires then technically lineage was broken a long, long time ago. Like 100 years. Try again.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
      The Ring title and the lineal title are two completely different things. That'd be like if I asked you to show me an apple and instead you showed me an alligator.
      No they're not completely different. Lol @ the apple and alligator reference. So you not realize how silly that was? Really?

The Ring title was reassigned (and lineage) to Vitali because he was no.1 and beat no.2, just the way Wladimir reestablished lineage by beating Pulev.

There's no point in rewriting history here. And fyi.....Wiki was edited by an idiot that writes for this website named Cliff Rold who has a serious agenda against Vitali becoming the legitimate champion back before the first retirement. I literally sh@t all over him in several debated about the subject some time back and proved what an ignorant, biased twit he really is.
      Last edited by Boxing Goat; 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
        He has no claim to be lineal champion.
        Clearly he has a claim since the majority, including Ring magazine, recognize him as lineal champion. He's the man who beat the man. The only debate is whether he vacated or not, and you're never going to get a clear consensus on that because any hypothetical vacancy was never filled while he was away.

The culmination of his PED hearing was that the Hammer fight which got him the fight against Wlad was won whilst ineligible due to doping
        Your logic couldn't possibly be more ridiculous. He tested clean for the Wlad fight. Nobody other than you is trying to take that win away from him. Nice try.

The only people talking up his lineal claim are those that stand to make a buck off it.
        What buck does Ring magazine stand to make off of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
          The Ring don't recognise Fury as the lineal champion, and have stated repeatedly only Joshua/Wilder would be for lineal.
          You're confusing the lineal and magazine titles. They have nothing to do with each other. Ring recognizes Fury as lineal champion, but doesn't recognize him as magazine champion.

https://www.******.com/540520-deonta...eres-no-doubt/

But now, Wilder is inching closer to another super fight: a bout with lineal champion Tyson Fury in December that would take place in Las Vegas and be broadcast on Showtime Pay-Per-View.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
            No they're not completely different.
            Yes they are. Lineal vacancy can only be filled by #1 vs. #2. Magazine vacancy can be filled by #2 vs. #5. Lineal title can't be stripped for political reasons, it's only the man who beat the man. Magazine title can be stripped for not facing one of the magazine's mandatories. I understand you're just a fan and you are a little confused about the magazine belt. That's fine. But when somebody better educated comes along, somebody who studies this stuff for a living, you should do a little more research before you tell me I'm wrong. I'm just trying to help you out. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The Ring title was reassigned (and lineage) to Vitali because he was no.1 and beat no.2, just the way Wladimir reestablished lineage by beating Pulev.
            Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Ring Magazine had Corrie Sanders rated #3, but because magazine title and lineal title have nothing to do with each other, Vitali vs. Sanders was for the magazine title, but not the lineal title. Vitali was never lineal champion.

Wladimir re-established lineage against Chagaev, not Pulev. Stop posting false information please.

Comment

Everyone favored Vitali to Wladimir, so it was lame when Wladimir was so desperately anointed lineal champion.

But my personal opinion or your personal opinion doesn't change the facts. Wladimir was able to gain a consensus to recognize him as lineal champion, and thus, he became lineal champion.

I personally believed the lineal title should have been recognized as vacant the second Fury tweeted that he was retired, but the consensus is that he's still lineal champion. My opinion or your opinion doesn't matter. Even Ring Magazine still refers to Tyson Fury as the lineal champion, further confirming that Ring Magazine realizes their title has nothing to do with the lineal title anymore.
              I agree with yours points above. I personally don’t consider him a lineal champion anymore. His marketing team are for sure gonna press on it though as it’s their strongest sell.

For me we are so close to a full unification that in my eyes that is the fight which will make the next lineal

Comment

Originally posted by Kezzer View Post
                I agree with yours points above. I personally don’t consider him a lineal champion anymore. His marketing team are for sure gonna press on it though as it’s their strongest sell.

For me we are so close to a full unification that in my eyes that is the fight which will make the next lineal
                Then Hearn should have made the fight before Fury came back. Now it's too late. The public isn't going to recognize a unification as establishing new lineage when Fury is active, especially if Fury agrees to fight a top fighter like Wilder or AJ. Had Fury just kept fighting tomato cans for 5-6 fights in a row, there would have been more urgency to find a way to pretend he wasn't lineal champion anymore, but with him likely facing Wilder this year, pretty much everybody is going to recognize it as a lineal title fight. Again, even Ring magazine is referring to it as a fight for the lineal title, even though they stripped Fury of the magazine title.

Comment

Clearly he has a claim since the majority, including Ring magazine, recognize him as lineal champion. He's the man who beat the man. The only debate is whether he vacated or not, and you're never going to get a clear consensus on that because any hypothetical vacancy was never filled while he was away.
                  'Legitimate' claim 'in my opinion' The second point I don't care much about but he did clearly announce his retirement from boxing.

Your logic couldn't possibly be more ridiculous. He tested clean for the Wlad fight. Nobody other than you is trying to take that win away from him. Nice try.
                  The logic is quite simple to follow? The Hammer fight was an eliminator for the fight against Wlad. He tested positive and the eliminator should've gone to Hammer. His performance in Dusseldorf was the highpoint of his career but it was built on the fruit of the poisonous tree and is tainted even if he cleared testing on the night itself. Although I know some boxing fans don't care about the use of PED's in the sport so maybe this is also your position?

What buck does Ring magazine stand to make off of it?
                  Ring is hopelessly compromised, its decisions subject to outside influence as the Canelo affair illustrated recently. Is there corruption in this decision? Is there a benefit, maybe repaid indirectly on another occasion? Very difficult to establish, but you surely understand how the game is played?

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
                    The logic is quite simple to follow? The Hammer fight was an eliminator for the fight against Wlad. He tested positive and the eliminator should've gone to Hammer. His performance in Dusseldorf was the highpoint of his career but it was built on the fruit of the poisonous tree and is tainted even if he cleared testing on the night itself. Although I know some boxing fans don't care about the use of PED's in the sport so maybe this is also your position?
                    It's the man who beat the man. Had Wlad-Fury been changed to a no contest due to a test failure, you'd have a point. Arguing that Fury didn't deserve the title shot is irrelevant.

Comment

That Lewis Briggs fight was friggin' awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X