• Show
Clear All

• A brief chronology of lineal heavyweight champions

They'll need to update this soon.

BBBOOOMMMBBB SSSQQQUUUAAADDD!!!

Comment

Great find!!!

Two issues though:

-Why did that Hart(?) fight re-establish the lineage after Jeffries' retirement?

-You can't simply 'become' a lineal champion for having a long reign. Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis (outside of eventually fighting the fighter with the lineal title) were able to stake their claims by also having all of the major sanctioned heavyweight titles. Wladimir Klitschko never did that, which then throws shade on Fury, while would then shade Wilder were he to beat Fury.

Outside of Lennox coming back, everyone is waiting on Joshua-Wilder to finally have a new lineal champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Two issues though:

-Why did that Hart(?) fight re-establish the lineage after Jeffries' retirement?

-You can't simply 'become' a lineal champion for having a long reign. Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis (outside of eventually fighting the fighter with the lineal title) were able to stake their claims by also having all of the major sanctioned heavyweight titles. Wladimir Klitschko never did that, which then throws shade on Fury, while would then shade Wilder were he to beat Fury.

Outside of Lennox coming back, everyone is waiting on Joshua-Wilder to finally have a new lineal champion.

Everyone favored Vitali to Wladimir, so it was lame when Wladimir was so desperately anointed lineal champion.

But my personal opinion or your personal opinion doesn't change the facts. Wladimir was able to gain a consensus to recognize him as lineal champion, and thus, he became lineal champion.

I personally believed the lineal title should have been recognized as vacant the second Fury tweeted that he was retired, but the consensus is that he's still lineal champion. My opinion or your opinion doesn't matter. Even Ring Magazine still refers to Tyson Fury as the lineal champion, further confirming that Ring Magazine realizes their title has nothing to do with the lineal title anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
          Everyone favored Vitali to Wladimir, so it was lame when Wladimir was so desperately anointed lineal champion.

But my personal opinion or your personal opinion doesn't change the facts. Wladimir was able to gain a consensus to recognize him as lineal champion, and thus, he became lineal champion.

I personally believed the lineal title should have been recognized as vacant the second Fury tweeted that he was retired, but the consensus is that he's still lineal champion. My opinion or your opinion doesn't matter. Even Ring Magazine still refers to Tyson Fury as the lineal champion, further confirming that Ring Magazine realizes their title has nothing to do with the lineal title anymore.
          Still, as the video showed, outside of the Short situation after Jeffries' retirement and the Ezzard Charles fight after Marciano, the heavyweight championship, from Lewis back over 120 years, can traced (adding some names that folks would rather not see) accurately.

Ring Magazine may not have wanted to do it this way, but unless they were going to simply say 'Klitschko brothers', the lineal is still vacant from when Lewis retired.

Comment

Sometimes the heavyweight champion retires so there is NO man who beat the man. Then a new heavyweight champion becomes recognized by most through accomplishment. Fury became the lineal champion by beating lineal champion Wlad. Then Fury didn't fight anybody for years. He took himself out of the heavyweight picture. The belts he won from Wlad became the property of other boxers. Was the boxing world supposed to wait on Fury forever. By refusing to fight for years I think he deserved to lose the belts he won from Wlad and to me he was no longer the lineal champ. To me he is just an ex champ making a comeback. Do people really believe if Wilder beats Fury Wilder suddenly becomes the true champion over and above AJ because he beat the lineal champ? I doubt it. I think he is still only the WBC world champion and AJ still owns all the other belts. If he wants AJ's titles he still has to take them away from him in the ring even if he KOs Fury in the first round.

Comment

Good vid, lot's of history there.

But it does give me the sense that "lineal" champion doesn't mean that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Still, as the video showed, outside of the Short situation after Jeffries' retirement and the Ezzard Charles fight after Marciano, the heavyweight championship, from Lewis back over 120 years, can traced (adding some names that folks would rather not see) accurately.

Ring Magazine may not have wanted to do it this way, but unless they were going to simply say 'Klitschko brothers', the lineal is still vacant from when Lewis retired.
                CBZ recognizes Klittschko vs. Chagaev as filling the vacancy. It was Ring #1 vs. #3, so I was against the decision at the time, although once DLH bought Ring, the Ring ratings didn't really matter anymore anyway.

CBZ doesn't recognize Fury as lineal anymore, but Ring does. This is the problem with unofficial championships, there will always be confusion.

Comment

The lineal championship was reestablished in 2004 when Vitali knocked out Corrie Sanders. No.1 vs. No.2 = lineage if the previous champion retires. This guy is a dipsh@t to exclude it and it voids the entire video. End of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    Sometimes the heavyweight champion retires so there is NO man who beat the man. Then a new heavyweight champion becomes recognized by most through accomplishment. Fury became the lineal champion by beating lineal champion Wlad. Then Fury didn't fight anybody for years. He took himself out of the heavyweight picture. The belts he won from Wlad became the property of other boxers. Was the boxing world supposed to wait on Fury forever. By refusing to fight for years I think he deserved to lose the belts he won from Wlad and to me he was no longer the lineal champ. To me he is just an ex champ making a comeback. Do people really believe if Wilder beats Fury Wilder suddenly becomes the true champion over and above AJ because he beat the lineal champ? I doubt it. I think he is still only the WBC world champion and AJ still owns all the other belts. If he wants AJ's titles he still has to take them away from him in the ring even if he KOs Fury in the first round.
                    Despite anything you say there or your feelings about it, Wilder will become the lineal champion if he beats lineal champion Tyson Fury.

Comment

Working...
                    X