Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me how a guy like Wilder hasn't lost yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Just looking View Post
    Because he has more skills than people think, but they aren't textbook so they can't see it
    Dont tell them that. Let them keep seeing the right hand. Those who are in the ring with Wilder see otherwise. No need to explain to folks who sit at home. Wilder's awkwardness in everything is a problem in itself in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
      I really do think that Wilder is revolutionizing the way we perceive skill.
      Lol...no.

Unbelievable right hand, even better heart/will, and a solid beard.

In any other division Wilder takes an L. Too limited.

In boxing Wilder you have zero to worry about except his right hand. His left just isn't good in its own and Deontay surrenders it to JUST being a setup jab

Comment

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
        HW boxing has shifted significantly since the 1990s.

Sport science has developed to the point where if you find the right physical specimen, train it to box, apply the highest quality scientific support, market it, match it very carefully to build an undefeated record...you create a World Champion.

Wilder and Joshua are prime examples of the practice.

Wilder is loud, obnoxious and arrogant. Joshua is humble, reflective and unassuming.

Apart from the above, they are exactly alike.
        Both seem soulless to me, robotic, can't get myself to enjoy their fights. They are big names and stars though.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUE View Post
          Because many are so focused on his offensive technique, that they ignore he knows how to avoid being hit very well. Whatever you want to credit his defense for, he has an effective one.
          Exactly. Holyfield mentioned this yesterday that Wilder does not blink or keeps his eyes open to see what the opponent usually wants to do, so he can combat it. However, people ignore that and say he is terrible on defense.

Comment

Should have been stopped in the 7th against Ortiz. Wasnt defending himself, had his head knocked back several times and was being bounced around the ring. He's lucky old man Ortiz gassed

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
              I thought HW didn't start to age until they hit 40 and even then there are exceptions (George Foreman for example)
              Where are you drawing that info from? HW's peak earlier than other weights. Big power does big damage.

Crunch the numbers of the greats and you'll see 14-16 years from 18 is the mark (remember that HW's usually peak earlier than that). If you don't take much damage, good defense, not a lot of wars, etc will extend your shelf life, but peak's are peaks.

Lennox Lewis
              Started Career in 89'
              Pro Start Age: 24 (not 18!)
              Pro End Age: 38
              Peak Age (end): 32 (Golota 97')
              14 year mark: 2003
              16 year mark: N/A
              Case in point: Vitali
              Summary: I think Lewis peaked at 32. His physical prime was extended due to his career starting 6 years late. If he would have been 18 when he turned pro in 89' his prime would have ended in 97' against Golota. In Lewis' case, I think that was when he was last at his best. If you look at the Mavrovic fight (2 fights after Golota), that's not a prime Lennox, it's just not.

Muhammed Ali
              Started Career in 60'
              Pro Start Age: 18
              Pro End Age: 39
              Peak Age (end): 29-30 (Ellis 71')
              14 year mark: 74'
              16 year mark: 76'
              Case in point: Foreman (74') / Norton 3 (76')
              Summary: Ali took a lot of damage in his time (gloves and general ring safety was different then e.g. horse hair, 15 rounders, etc) and visible changes to his style were happening. Ali vs Norton 1 in 73', Ali was a former shell of himself already. The damage modifier aged his peak early and Ali was visibly a different fighter against Ellis in 71'. Ali should have retired after the Foreman fight. He would probably still be alive today.

Evander Holyfield
              Started Career in 84'
              Pro Start Age: 22
              Pro End Age: 49
              Peak Age (end): 30 (Bowe 92')
              14 year mark: 98'
              16 year mark: 00'
              Case in point: Butterbean (98') / Ruiz 1 (00')
              Summary: Evander not only took a lot of damage in his time, but also started 4 years late. Look at his record last 98', horrible. Fighting a trilogy with Ruiz lol? I think his peak was Bowe 1 in 92'. He looked and performed visibly old afterwards.
              Last edited by McNulty; 03-04-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sotgoda View Post
                Dont tell them that. Let them keep seeing the right hand. Those who are in the ring with Wilder see otherwise. No need to explain to folks who sit at home. Wilder's awkwardness in everything is a problem in itself in the ring.
                Well said, thanks bro

Comment

Weakest division in history. Wilder being one of the top HW's proves it. The guy would struggle to break in the top 10 in the 90s. You had 1 guy dominating the weak competition the last decade. Now the weak competition is at the top of the division.

Comment

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
                    HW boxing has shifted significantly since the 1990s.

Sport science has developed to the point where if you find the right physical specimen, train it to box, apply the highest quality scientific support, market it, match it very carefully to build an undefeated record...you create a World Champion.

Wilder and Joshua are prime examples of the practice.

Wilder is loud, obnoxious and arrogant. Joshua is humble, reflective and unassuming.

Apart from the above, they are exactly alike.
                    So, is it fair to say that this new generation of HW's would beat the HW's from the past?

Comment

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
                      I didn't say anything about who you like or think is better, I said compare and contrast there styles and if you can't see a similarity between the offensive style of Hearns and Wilder then you dont know **** about boxing
                      Hearns had a better jab, footwork, balance, and more accurate with the right hand. He also was pretty underrated when it came to fighting on the inside which is something Wilder hasn't shown yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X