Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Loeffler: Canelo Makes More With GGG Than He Did Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loeffler is forgetting a simple point.

Saul Alvarez has already made more than he did on the Mayweather fight in fighting Khan, Liam Smith, and likely James Kirkland (Alvarez had to give up so much of the take to not have to fight Cotto in New York, that I have doubts).

Saul Alvarez's take off of the Mayweather fight, once everything was counted, was likely at least $10m.

For all the **** that folks gave the fight, Alvarez-Smith did $5.5m at the live gate, $20m off of the US PPV, and drew north of 18 million viewers in Mexico, with Liam Smith's own take largely coming from whatever Frank Warren was able to get for the UK TV rights.

Loefler may just be blowing smoke, but "more than Mayweather payday" isn't something Alvarez is even fretting about anymore (owns his Mexico TV deal, global sponsorship from Tecate, personal sponsors out the wazzoo, box office attraction in TX/NV/CA, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by HAY-B View Post
      Of course Canelo will because he is the A-side of the event. Hell, Canelo may make more than he did against FMJ when he fights Chavez Jr. in May.
      There's no "may" about it; the facts that T-Mobile Arena is already soldout (at aggressive ticket prices), MGM Resorts has already been pushing the closed circuit tickets for a while now, and Golden Boy is even pushing closed circuit at the theaters, gives every hint that the fight is expected to be a blockbuster ($50m in PPV revenue should be easy).

Alvarez likely makes his Floyd purse off of just his take off of the US PPV/live gate, before counting a nickel of his sponsorship or Mexican TV money

Comment

Originally posted by Ce1ska View Post
        I just see it as a ***** move for Canelo to request a catchweight when he's clearly a MW.

Oscar: Canelo is a natural WW...Oh Chavez? Let's go up to 164
        How is he "clearly a MW", when he just made 154lbs to fight with no issue, yet Golovkin, a "small middleweight", is scared to death of even coming down to 158lbs?

Comment

I respect your opinion.
          Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          You're either deluding yourself or you haven't been following boxing lately if you think that's all its about. Canelo is about to have a huge ppv and the seats have been sold out for weeks. The "duck" thing, as relevant as it might have been last year, is old news and has little impact on anything today.

Every fan wants to spin this in the favor of their chosen fighter. Both guys have a lot to offer each other and anyone who can't come to terms with that just don't get it. This is now simply a matter of compromise between the two parties.

Comment

I'm not a fan of either guy. I just want the fight. Marquez, Sugar Ray, Nacho, have all made comments in the last 2 or 3 months that (to them) it's obvious that they're waiting as long as possible with Golovkin in his mid 30's. I just have to question your comment of relevance when Canelo first stated in the post fight that he'd fight him, and then dropped the belt. Max Kellerman says Canelo probably wanted the fight, but Golden Boy didn't think he was ready. Relevance is a fart in a stiff wind at this point.
            Originally posted by Verus View Post
            Mayweather embarrassed a lot of fighters! I seriously doubt that Golden Boy is trying to "age out" Golovkin. Timing is so important. Golovkin is now irrelevant to Canelo's career.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              How is he "clearly a MW", when he just made 154lbs to fight with no issue, yet Golovkin, a "small middleweight", is scared to death of even coming down to 158lbs?
              He had to strip naked for the weigh in. If he can make 154 easily why was a 155 catchweight required for Kirkland and Lara? Why did he have to pay Angulo 100k instead of losing the extra pound? It's interesting that he didn't ask for a catchweight vs Liam Smith, guessing he felt a bit pressured to make 154 so he can continue to claim he's comfortable at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by Verus View Post
                I seriously doubt that Golden Boy is trying to "age out" Golovkin. Timing is so important. Golovkin is now irrelevant to Canelo's career.
                “When people say I didn’t want this fight for Canelo, obviously it wasn’t the first choice. As a promoter you don’t want the most difficult fight out there for him."

-Oscar De La Hoya on the Lara fight

Comment

He had to strip naked for the weigh in. If he can make 154 easily why was a 155 catchweight required for Kirkland and Lara? Why did he have to pay Angulo 100k instead of losing the extra pound? It's interesting that he didn't ask for a catchweight vs Liam Smith, guessing he felt a bit pressured to make 154 so he can continue to claim he's comfortable at WW.
                  Because the +1lb saved Alvarez from bothering with paying a sanctioning body an extra 3% of his take.

Alvarez, even if he had to strip naked (which isn't true), he was still able to weigh 154lbs and fight a hard 10 rounds of a 12 round fight (with no signs that he couldn't hae finished out with a few more hard rounds either).

Golovkin is such a "small middleweight" that he's scared ****less of even the idea of having to weigh in at 158lbs for any fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Travycat View Post
                    I'm not a fan of either guy. I just want the fight. Marquez, Sugar Ray, Nacho, have all made comments in the last 2 or 3 months that (to them) it's obvious that they're waiting as long as possible with Golovkin in his mid 30's. I just have to question your comment of relevance when Canelo first stated in the post fight that he'd fight him, and then dropped the belt. Max Kellerman says Canelo probably wanted the fight, but Golden Boy didn't think he was ready. Relevance is a fart in a stiff wind at this point.
                    Could this fight have happened last year at 155-158? Yes.

Could this fight happen in September? Yes.

Like was stated earlier...it has and will remain to be a matter of negotiations and compromise. K2 gambled on the mandatory fight angle and lost. Spin it however you want but no fighter is going to sacrifice millions to keep a belt. And guess what, the difference between the mando split and what Trip will get now is millions.

This has nothinh to do with waiting until Golovkin gets old? It's about maximizing the revenue for GBP. That is why they fight isn't it?

Comment

“When people say I didn’t want this fight for Canelo, obviously it wasn’t the first choice. As a promoter you don’t want the most difficult fight out there for him."

-Oscar De La Hoya on the Lara fight
                      Granted Lara is a difficult opponent, but the main stumbling block was that Lara did not bring any money or much of anything else to the table. Canelo fought Mayweather when he too young and wasn't ready because he brought money and visibility to the table.

Comment

Working...
                      X