No announcement yet.

Kov/SOG = success! GGG/Lemieux = flop!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    Maybe, but I doubt it. Ward/Kov PPV was 2 weeks ago.

Link

I truly don't care what the "fans" expected. What matters is what the promotional company and the network expected. The compensation is generally directly tied to expected revenue stream. Their purses were extremely low - 3.5m total. That's the true drawing power.

As for Ward, I'm guessing youre referring to the "A-Side" talk? I don't want to get into that whole argument since it gets ridiculous easily, but I do think that Golovkin was and is much more popular than Ward. He'll never be Canelo (because he doesn't have the time left), but he's still a very popular boxer.

I dunno if it will post correctly or not, but I like using the Google Trends tool to estimate popularity. It's obviously not 100% correct, but it's a pretty good predictor.

If the chart doesn't load, here's a link. The chart basically shows that Golovkin-Wade generated almost twice as many net searches as Kov-Ward. I also threw Danny Jacobs in there.. the dude doesn't move the needle in any way. He's getting some interesting responses from people around the forum (such as GGG/Jacobs being much more successful than GGG/Lemieux).. and I just don't see it. This kind of supports it - Danny is an absolute nobody.
    Going by that Golovkin-Lemieux was twice as popular too. Obviously that didn't show in PPV buys.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
      Of course you can look at Mayweather and Pacquiao's PPV histories. Plenty of fights that sold 1 mil and the opponent wasn't a big draw.
      Canelo's last fight only sold 260k PPVs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Ward-Kovalev did a reported $3.3m at the gate and another almost $11m on US PPV

Golovkin-Lemieux did an alleged $2m (no source other than Tom Loeffler has ever confirmed anything about the live event; the figure is likely inflated) and another $7.5m on PPV (if you actually believe what Loeffler has gone about telling to some in the press; actual number was likely closer to $6m, if that)

and that's without any mention of the international TV money or the event sponsorships.

Kovalev-Ward likely ends up bringing in double what Golovkin-Lemieux brought in, so to sit and try to call the events equal is ****ing foolish.
        The international TV income from GGG/Lemieux would have far surpassed Kovalev/Ward. Golovkin has many more fans and a much higher profile worldwide than Kovalev and Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
          The fact that Golovkin fans see Ward (a guy they claim is a nobody) as a rival in his drawing power shows you how much of a draw Golovkin really is (he isn't).
          Yeah, GGG is a no name who nobody cares about. That's why you spend half your life on line talking about him.

Comment

[...]I truly don't care what the "fans" expected[...]
            That is of course your right, but it does matter when responding to this.

[...]if you compare to the reaction of the trolls to the Lemieux PPV, it's vastly different than the reaction of Golovkin fans to Ward PPV. Despite Ward/Kovalev having twice higher purses and being an undisputable bust, nobody is calling Ward "Mr 160k", or strutting around the forum for days on end proclaiming how much of a bust, a flop, financial disaster etc that PPV was.

Some of you idiots are still proud to parrot around "Mr 97k" a year after the fight. The reactions have been vastly different from the two rival fanbases.

Aka if you wanna understand why the fans' reactions to the PPVs were different though the numbers were similar, you have to understand what the fans' expectations were beforehand.
            Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

they spent 2 times as much and didn't even do twice as many buys. math anyone? as far as being a success when it comes to people watching, attracting new fans, etc...no they both failed

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                The international TV income from GGG/Lemieux would have far surpassed Kovalev/Ward. Golovkin has many more fans and a much higher profile worldwide than Kovalev and Ward.
                Kovalev-Ward was on a mainstream channel in Russia, and Sky Sports picked up the UK TV rights to the fight. To flatly state that Golovkin-Lemieux surpassed Kovalev-Ward is quite disingenuous.

Then again, never let nuance undermine the point you're trying to make, right? lol

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  they spent 2 times as much and didn't even do twice as many buys. math anyone? as far as being a success when it comes to people watching, attracting new fans, etc...no they both failed
                  ... the live gate was likely double Golovkin's actual gate, and the PPV revenue was likely near double what Golovkin's PPV revenue was, so what are you saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Kovalev-Ward was on a mainstream channel in Russia, and Sky Sports picked up the UK TV rights to the fight. To flatly state that Golovkin-Lemieux surpassed Kovalev-Ward is quite disingenuous.

Then again, never let nuance undermine the point you're trying to make, right? lol
                    That makes no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                      That makes no sense at all.
                      Kovalev-Ward was on Sky Sports in the UK, on PPV in Australia, was broadcast on Televisa, on Canal Space for most of Latin America, PolSat in Poland, and a host of other channels around the world (my guess is that there was also a Canadian broadcaster for the fight).

To flatly say that Golovkin is this monster star in the rest of the world, with literally no proof to even hint at that statement being true, is reckless.

Comment

Working...
                      X