Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kov/SOG = success! GGG/Lemieux = flop!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was anything but a success. The undercard was ****, including the robbery of the year. Then the main event also was boring and featured what most people consider a robbery. The PPV figures were a disaster. The fight was viewed negatively by the press over here and most fans. People who said it was 'fight of the year' had made up their minds about that before the fight even happened, cause they were so desperate for it to be success. find it strange how people on here say mayweather v pacquiao was a let down but then say ward v kovalev delivered, were both as boring as each other, devoid of action for the most part. Most say it was great cause of the 'skill level', well why is mayweather v pacquiao not considered great then too? higher skill level in that one

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
      Mayweather 2.2 mil
      Angulo 350k
      Lara 300k
      Cotto 900k
      Khan 600k
      Smith 300k

=775k average

Youre the same troll claiming GGG vs Lem did 97k, and yet, you wont use that same source saying Canelo vs Khan, Cotto, Smith all did lower than what you posted 🙄🙄🙄

So unbiased and only talking logic doe 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
        I recall most people on NSB responding to the 160k PPV numbers when it was announced saying it was disappointing. Care to say who is suggesting otherwise?
        People love generalizing in this place. Seriously, who the hell has said that Ward-Kovalev was a success? I need to see quotes of this. Because like you said, from what I've read, most people said it was rather disappointing.

Comment

Ah! I just went through the whole thread and as suspected, the TS is a troll. He posted just once after OP and provided 0 quotes.

**** off, ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            Fair enough; I'm just pointing out that, without Alvarez, I don't see a matchup manifesting in the next 2-3 years that would earn Golovkin over the $3m-$4m that he got to fight on Matchroom's London card.

Alvarez is all of 26 years old, is about 1-2 years away from reaching his utter physical prime (likely 2-3 years away from getting into his peak drawing years), and is already clearing $15m+ per fight.

People get hung up on the "flat rate" point, but seem to forget that that would guarantee Golovkin $10m. With the economics of each guy being what they are, if Golovkin's camp were to really insist on taking a percentage, I don't see how they'd get more than 15% of the take (which, at the end of the day, likely wouldn't get them $10m anyway).
            You might have something there. I agree that Golovkin future purses without Alvarez won't amount to that flat rate offered. Still I think the Golovkin camp given GGGs age want to cash in while the market is hot. I just wish the fight could be made. Boxing needs the kind of excitement that fight would bring.

Comment

160K is a flop...

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                People love generalizing in this place. Seriously, who the hell has said that Ward-Kovalev was a success? I need to see quotes of this. Because like you said, from what I've read, most people said it was rather disappointing.
                You're right in that nobody has claimed this as a success. However if you compare to the reaction of the trolls to the Lemieux PPV, it's vastly different than the reaction of Golovkin fans to Ward PPV. Despite Ward/Kovalev having twice higher purses and being an undisputable bust, nobody is calling Ward "Mr 160k", or strutting around the forum for days on end proclaiming how much of a bust, a flop, financial disaster etc that PPV was.

Some of you idiots are still proud to parrot around "Mr 97k" a year after the fight. The reactions have been vastly different from the two rival fanbases.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                  You're right in that nobody has claimed this as a success. However if you compare to the reaction of the trolls to the Lemieux PPV, it's vastly different than the reaction of Golovkin fans to Ward PPV. Despite Ward/Kovalev having twice higher purses and being an undisputable bust, nobody is calling Ward "Mr 160k", or strutting around the forum for days on end proclaiming how much of a bust, a flop, financial disaster etc that PPV was.

Some of you idiots are still proud to parrot around "Mr 97k" a year after the fight. The reactions have been vastly different from the two rival fanbases.
                  1) You said it, trolls. And they're not saying anything about the PPV failure because they're too busy whining about the 'robbery'. Let the dust settle and soon they will be talking about the PPV 'failure'.

2) You idiots? I really dunno who the **** you're talking or referring to cause I have never once talked about GGG PPV numbers nor do I give a **** to be quite frank. So, take your little defensive whiny stance somewhere else and cry to someone who your post relates to. Because that ain't me.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post

It's important to remember that many fans were using the fact that GGG was a 'superstar' to justify him turning away from a 50/50 money fight @ 168 with Ward, and that no one was really claiming that Ward was a huge star. The PPV numbers for GGG/Lemieux demonstrated what most of us already understood about GGG's popularity - he's not yet a major attraction on par with Canelo.

But yes, I can agree that there hasn't been as strong of a response to Ward/Kov's numbers as there were to GGG/Lemieux's. As in, people aren't making fun of Ward or Kovalev for the output. But they have generally accepted that it was not a huge success.

Comment

1) You said it, trolls. And they're not saying anything about the PPV failure because they're too busy whining about the 'robbery'. Let the dust settle and soon they will be talking about the PPV 'failure'.
                      Maybe, but I doubt it. Ward/Kov PPV was 2 weeks ago.

2) You idiots? I really dunno who the **** you're talking or referring to cause I have never once talked about GGG PPV numbers nor do I give a **** to be quite frank. So, take your little defensive whiny stance somewhere else and cry to someone who your post relates to. Because that ain't me.
                      Youre not being serious are you? You seriously think just cause 97k people watched him on PPV it will make his popularity jump to Canelo/Cotto levels? After 1 PPV that NOBODY watched? You guys are really delusional.

Unless it's Canelo, GGG's next PPV will do 150k... maybe.
                      Link

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                      It's important to remember that many fans were using the fact that GGG was a 'superstar' to justify him turning away from a 50/50 money fight @ 168 with Ward, and that no one was really claiming that Ward was a huge star. The PPV numbers for GGG/Lemieux demonstrated what most of us already understood about GGG's popularity - he's not yet a major attraction on par with Canelo.

But yes, I can agree that there hasn't been as strong of a response to Ward/Kov's numbers as there were to GGG/Lemieux's. As in, people aren't making fun of Ward or Kovalev for the output. But they have generally accepted that it was not a huge success.
                      I truly don't care what the "fans" expected. What matters is what the promotional company and the network expected. The compensation is generally directly tied to expected revenue stream. Their purses were extremely low - 3.5m total. That's the true drawing power.

As for Ward, I'm guessing youre referring to the "A-Side" talk? I don't want to get into that whole argument since it gets ridiculous easily, but I do think that Golovkin was and is much more popular than Ward. He'll never be Canelo (because he doesn't have the time left), but he's still a very popular boxer.

I dunno if it will post correctly or not, but I like using the Google Trends tool to estimate popularity. It's obviously not 100% correct, but it's a pretty good predictor.

If the chart doesn't load, here's a link. The chart basically shows that Golovkin-Wade generated almost twice as many net searches as Kov-Ward. I also threw Danny Jacobs in there.. the dude doesn't move the needle in any way. He's getting some interesting responses from people around the forum (such as GGG/Jacobs being much more successful than GGG/Lemieux).. and I just don't see it. This kind of supports it - Danny is an absolute nobody.
                      Last edited by j0zef; 12-08-2016, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X