Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rant: UFC will slowly take fans away from boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They won't take Boxing Fans but they will take Casual Fight Fans, they've done it already actually here in the States

Comment

Speak for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        I've seen him showcase a lot of talent but that ain't getting it. I give him credit for Thurman-Porter but he's put together a lot of BS match-ups no one cares about and paid his fighters a lot to take easy fights. Something fishy there.
        Garcia-Thurman is set for early 2017, Charlo-Williams is basically starting the process towards the big fights at 154, Errol Spence Jr (four years removed from his Olympics run) is lining up for his first world title shot, Jack-Degale and Stevenson-Alvarez are basically done (sans a date), Beterbiev is about at his own title shot as well, etc (Burns-Broner in the works, Zlaticanin-Garcia, the coming unification fights at 126, with prospects (like Erickson Lubin, Jarrett Hurd, Tony Harrison, Gervonta Davis, Ievgen Khytrov, Michael Hunter, Marcus Browne, Lipinets, Derevyanchenko, Caleb Plant, Tabiti, Gassiev, Mario Barrios, etc) starting to get their own shots).

Let the schedule unfold

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          It's called a comparison. 2 combat sports, one doing multiple million plus PPV per year, matching top contender against champion on a almost consistent basis and one where the so called face of the sport draws 250,000-300,000 PPV and the other gets anywhere from 97-150k and instead of seeing the top guys fight we get these ducks running away from big fights and then complaining why theyre not more well known.

For every Ward-Kovalev we get the UFC puts on 5 shows just like it or better.
          I'll never give up on boxing but I'm a 40 year old guy and have been following before the UFC existed in the mainstream, guys I work with that are 20 couldn't care less about boxing and it's all about the UFC. So good luck bringing new fans in when we get older and fade away putting on garbage fights all the time that nobody gives a fk about while your competition is destroying you with quality fights.
          Sounds good. As a boxing fan, I could care less as to what UFC is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtyivier2k2 View Post
            I used to hate UFC but in the last year i started getting into it because a few of my friends love it. Obviously i dont like it anywhere close to boxing but after hearing that GGG is off Dec 10th card, Klit vs Joshua isnt happening, Danny Garcia gets another cherry pick.. I am getting quite fed up with boxing. I buy most of the big ppv's but enough is enough already. As fans of boxing we don't deserve this **** anymore. meanwhile in the UFC the top guys are constantly fighting top guys and you never quite know who will win.

Thank god for Kovalev and Ward, and Lomochenko Walters otherwise this year will go down as crap. We should be getting fights like Canelo GGG, GGG jacobs, Pacquiao Crawford, Pacquiao vs Vargas etc instead we get Canelo vs Khan, smith GGG vs Brook and other crap mismatches. Like step the **** up already because boxing is becoming an embarrassing circus that I am getting frustrated being a part of already. Seems liek 9 out of 10 top fighters are constantly cherry picking and ducking. The next big UFC even is in my hometown NY and the card is stacked from top to bottom with ridiculous fights. Whens the last time boxing had a stacked card? Boxing hardly gives us a top dog vs top dog main event let alone a stacked card with top fighters.

Sorry I just had to vent as I read about GGG not fighting on Dec 10 and Jacobs trainer saying Jacobs needs 12 weeks to train for GGG. GROW SOME ****ING BALLS already this is the fight game not table tennis.
            You could make an argument that the superior ufc business model(forced fights, full cards, few bad ppvs, centralized governing body, ect ) is the reason boxing is moving away from ppv. It's likely there is significant overlap in the boxing ufc ppv market. Each division has multiple champions and fights happen on the boxers time frame, if at all. Yeah it's been a travesty for quite a while. Would be dead if "all other sports were not a metaphor for boxing." The purest and best form of competition, to paraphrase mad max kellermen.

Comment

To be honest I have lost interest with UFC a bit recently. I haven't watched a UFC main event for about a year, i'm indifferent to most of the current roster of fighters. On the other hand I still watch boxing regularly, far more gripping and exciting to watch imo

Comment

They're not taking fans away, just attracting new ones while boxing fails to do so. Casual fans don't have time for the same tedious bull**** that boxing fans time and time again have to put up with. They're not interested in marinating and ducking; they're fans of real sports, where such bollocks doesn't take place. They want the best, most compelling matchups and they want them now.

Boxing will only become more and more unpopular as the core audience ages and dies off. They've failed miserably in attracting younger viewers and it's all entirely down to what boxing and the greedy, self-serving ****s inside it have done to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtyivier2k2 View Post
                  I used to hate UFC but in the last year i started getting into it because a few of my friends love it. Obviously i dont like it anywhere close to boxing but after hearing that GGG is off Dec 10th card, Klit vs Joshua isnt happening, Danny Garcia gets another cherry pick.. I am getting quite fed up with boxing. I buy most of the big ppv's but enough is enough already. As fans of boxing we don't deserve this **** anymore. meanwhile in the UFC the top guys are constantly fighting top guys and you never quite know who will win.

Thank god for Kovalev and Ward, and Lomochenko Walters otherwise this year will go down as crap. We should be getting fights like Canelo GGG, GGG jacobs, Pacquiao Crawford, Pacquiao vs Vargas etc instead we get Canelo vs Khan, smith GGG vs Brook and other crap mismatches. Like step the **** up already because boxing is becoming an embarrassing circus that I am getting frustrated being a part of already. Seems liek 9 out of 10 top fighters are constantly cherry picking and ducking. The next big UFC even is in my hometown NY and the card is stacked from top to bottom with ridiculous fights. Whens the last time boxing had a stacked card? Boxing hardly gives us a top dog vs top dog main event let alone a stacked card with top fighters.

Sorry I just had to vent as I read about GGG not fighting on Dec 10 and Jacobs trainer saying Jacobs needs 12 weeks to train for GGG. GROW SOME ****ING BALLS already this is the fight game not table tennis.

The sport of boxing is doing enough to lose interest among viewers. UFC is popular and at a highpoint right now, but they aren't exactly stealing old boxing fans. Boxing fans are just frustrated, while UFC fans have a lot look forward to at the moment. No harm in supporting both sports.

When Arum dies and Haymon goes completely bankrupt, maybe the sport can rebuild itself. Until then, enjoy greed, cherry picking, and the best not fighting the best.

Comment

Everybody says boxing is dying every year...still ain't dead yet.

I think it's about to see a rise in viewership. We are in a situation now where there is a lot of talent in the ranks.

UFC is not remotely a threat because they have a particular fan base and the majority of them aren't boxing fans....

Boxing has a particular fan base and the majority of them aren't UFC fans...

Really nothing to compare. We've seen what the very best fighters in boxing can generate with a crappy undercard...

UFC can literally put every money-generating start they have in a PPV and it still won't touch the numbers for Mayweather vs Canelo, let alone Mayweather vs Oscar DLH/Pacquiao....

If UFC is a threat...I'll definitely take that....

If the UFC was that big of a threat then it wouldn't have sold...

No one will ever be able be able to BUY the NFL or NBA...and no one will ever be able to BUY BOXING....Haymon has a ton of fighters but he can't get everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by -2 Scrappy- View Post
                      They have new owners. This happens at literally every company that's been bought. Nice try though.

The TS is right. I love them both but the UFC absolutely destroyed boxing this year. McGregor put the UFC on his back and is making them millions upon millions. Multiple PPVs with over a million buys already.

Haymon is killing boxing making fighters spoiled brats so the big fights aren't happening.
                      So why are you here??

Go blame everything on Haymon over at the MMA forums.

That would actually make sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X