Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words" - Golovkin-Brook: Valid Reasons to Make It, Hate It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brook is a huge WW...It won't be as bad as people think....

Comment

Originally posted by auoydwe View Post
      DEAD? Not exactly. Shallow? Unarguably.

This is slightly inaccurate. What keeps him at middleweight is the WBO title and TheRING Magazine lineal title.

It is dead, possibly the worst middleweight era EVER !

There is 1 fighter at 160 worth a dime..... Saunders.

And guess what, he is largely untested, and completely unheralded.

"TheRING Magazine lineal title" is completely meaningless, and is literally not worth a pinch of ****..... as-is that other strap.

GGG is hanging around for worthless scraps, I will explain further below.....

Originally posted by auoydwe View Post
      All this talk of legacy and comparability to "the greats" is too early. He's still active and will probably stay active for (generously) another 5 years. I'll reserve any judgement until he's done.

Props to you, that is the ONLY way to do it.

Problem is.....

1) there is NOBODY in that dead middleweight division who can elevate Golovkin any further, which is why it is completely pointless for him to remain at 160.... but unfortunately, Golovkin appears unwilling to move up

2) Golovkin has already passed on Ward/Lara/Canelo/Cotto, so the pool of top fighters who can elevate him any further has pretty much evaporated

3) if Golovkin remains at 160, his career will stagnate, which will deter his fanbase even further..... but if he moves up, then he moves AWAY from a Canelo fight, which - truth be known - is unlikely to happen anyways

Golovkin's only chance for further recognition is to clean out 168.

Just further on that.....

Golovkin's only chance for further recognition is to clean out 168..... just like Ward is currently attempting to do at 175..... when Ward realized that a Golovkin fight would never happen, he took the only available option, which is exactly what Golovkin needs to do.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        BHop spent 10 YEARS at 160 unifying the division and only moved up to 175 after losing twice to Jermain Taylor.

Hopkins displayed abnormal longevity in the sport.

Assuming that Golovkin will remain effective after 40 is ridiculous.

The clock is ticking on his career..... and the opportunities for him to leave a mark on this sport are fading fast, mostly because he will not do what it takes to land a big fight, unlike Hopkins..... which is inexplicable to most observers.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjoeblive View Post
          Anyone that is a fan of the sweet science has an intense problem with this fight. This fight is a true farce! How is it competitive for brook who may come in on fight night at 155 vs ggg who will fight at about 172 to 174? Ggg is willing to fight a 147 but refused to face canelo at 155. How can anyone respect this? If your a ggg fan you love this feces fight. If you are a fan of the sweet science you split your sides laughing at this joke of a fight. Again ggg ducks lara to take a very safe comfortable fight. I really don't see how anyone could not have a problem with this fight.
          Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
          Basically. Every boxing fan should have a problem with it, but you've got posters with certain agendas trying to limit it to certain fanbases only.

Not according to the bull**** that I just read from kafkod, who is attempting to convince himself that this is all just some conspiracy by disgruntled Floyd fans SMH

Someone should make a list of all the Team Bull**** flip-flops.....

1) said, anyone from 154-168..... but then killed 2 huge fights over the weight LMAO

2) pulled a catchweight on Ward, and justified it with "A-side doe"..... but then suddenly rediscovered their love for the integrity of boxing when Canelo did the exact same thing to them

3) bashed Canelo for selecting the midget Khan..... then selected the midget Brook

Anything else ?

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            I definitely have a BIG problem with this fight. Total mismatch and I have serious concerns for brook's health.
            I felt the same way about GGG vs Eubank, but I'm not so worried about Kell Brook. I think Eubank would have been too strong and durable for his own good against Golovkin, and would have taken a lot of heavy punishment before being stopped.

I don't think Brook can beat GGG, but I think it will be quite competitive while it lasts and end with a clean KO win for Golovkin. I wish Kell hadn't taken the fight, but I'm sure he and his team have thought hard about it and they know exactly what they have gotten themselves in to. I didn't feel that way about the Eubanks.

Comment

Well-written article. It tries to avoid bias as much as possible. It looked at the mismatch from both sides. But it's bottom line was that it's still a mismatch, & it's still a money grab. Two things that will get repeated ad nauseam.

Absolutely right that there were other viable opponents out there. Lara's name comes to mind. However, would it have been fair to GGG's team to have to go back to round one on negotiations with another new outift?...& this is keeping in mind that it took nearly a month to draw up a contract with the Eubanks. And a hard date was set by HBO. This brings another obstacle to the table. Would it have been fair to Lara to get only 5-6 weeks to prepare for GGG? I don't think that's fair....to move up a weight class against the best MW in the world, plus not getting as much time as Kell Brook is getting to prepare. A champion like Lara deserves better...& that's assuming that a contract can get drawn up in 2 weeks or less. GGG/Brook is a freak show that people will tune-in for. GGG/Lara is a bout that deserves better...it's a bout that could possibly progress the sport. GGG/Brook is a shyt match that should be poo-pooed on. Despite that, it might be fun...for as long as it lasts.

Both fighters are deservedly getting flak for this mismatch, mainly because both are being seen as guys who won't challenge themselves. Let's reserve judgement for when each boxer chooses their next opponent...that might be where their true intent lies. Otherwise, you don't have to watch either fighter fight ever again. The choice is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                I definitely have a BIG problem with this fight. Total mismatch and I have serious concerns for brook's health.
                I hope the bbbofc step in and nix it, Ward Murdoch style. If not, I really wouldn't mind if Brook calling it off with some injury

Comment

Originally posted by JUNIABOY View Post
                  Well-written article. It tries to avoid bias as much as possible. It looked at the mismatch from both sides. But it's bottom line was that it's still a mismatch, & it's still a money grab. Two things that will get repeated ad nauseam.

Absolutely right that there were other viable opponents out there. Lara's name comes to mind. However, would it have been fair to GGG's team to have to go back to round one on negotiations with another new outift?...& this is keeping in mind that it took nearly a month to draw up a contract with the Eubanks. And a hard date was set by HBO. This brings another obstacle to the table. Would it have been fair to Lara to get only 5-6 weeks to prepare for GGG? I don't think that's fair....to move up a weight class against the best MW in the world, plus not getting as much time as Kell Brook is getting to prepare. A champion like Lara deserves better...& that's assuming that a contract can get drawn up in 2 weeks or less. GGG/Brook is a freak show that people will tune-in for. GGG/Lara is a bout that deserves better...it's a bout that could possibly progress the sport. GGG/Brook is a shyt match that should be poo-pooed on. Despite that, it might be fun...for as long as it lasts.

Both fighters are deservedly getting flak for this mismatch, mainly because both are being seen as guys who won't challenge themselves. Let's reserve judgement for when each boxer chooses their next opponent...that might be where their true intent lies. Otherwise, you don't have to watch either fighter fight ever again. The choice is yours.

Hearn (apparently) signed Eubank in 24 hours.....

Lara would have been fine..... if he accepted, then it is " fair "..... but why not ask him instead of just assuming he wouldn't ?

The way I see it, if you ask, then you will know..... if you don't ask, then it's just an excuse.

Lara has been calling for that fight for years, give him an opportunity to back up his mouth..... Nate Diaz fought McGregor on 9 days notice.

You guys have got to start holding Golovkin responsible for his resume.

Especially regarding fights like Canelo, look at this broken promise.....

Loeffler said that Golovkin would have no problem fighting at a catchweight against Alvarez, who fought Lara in a 155-pound bout.

We’ve always said that if there is a compelling fight, Gennady would move up or down, we’ve talked about moving up to 168 for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. because that would be a pay-per-view fight and if it’s Canelo, then I’m sure that we could work out a catchweight if he wanted to work out a catchweight and if it’s in his best interest. So that would certainly be a pay-per-view fight,” said Loeffler.

There wouldn’t be any issues for us to come down to fight Canelo. There would still be a title on the line for Gennady because he would be fighting under 160, so he would be able to defend the titles at 156 or whatever you have the weight be. But Gennady would be willing to come down in weight to fight Canelo. I wouldn’t say it would be at 154 but certainly, given that Canelo fought his last fight at 155, then you could say that Gennady would certainly be willing to come down in weight to make the Canelo fight.

That was just over a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post

Lara would have been fine..... if he accepted, then it is " fair "..... but why not ask him instead of just assuming he wouldn't ?

The way I see it, if you ask, then you will know..... if you don't ask, then it's just an excuse.

Lara has been calling for that fight for years, give him an opportunity to back up his mouth..... Nate Diaz fought McGregor on 9 days notice.

Loeffler said that Golovkin would have no problem fighting at a catchweight against Alvarez, who fought Lara in a 155-pound bout.

We’ve always said that if there is a compelling fight, Gennady would move up or down, we’ve talked about moving up to 168 for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. because that would be a pay-per-view fight and if it’s Canelo, then I’m sure that we could work out a catchweight if he wanted to work out a catchweight and if it’s in his best interest. So that would certainly be a pay-per-view fight,” said Loeffler.

There wouldn’t be any issues for us to come down to fight Canelo. There would still be a title on the line for Gennady because he would be fighting under 160, so he would be able to defend the titles at 156 or whatever you have the weight be. But Gennady would be willing to come down in weight to fight Canelo. I wouldn’t say it would be at 154 but certainly, given that Canelo fought his last fight at 155, then you could say that Gennady would certainly be willing to come down in weight to make the Canelo fight.

Hearn couldn't get the Eubanks to agree to the contract that was drawn up.

Giving Lara 6 weeks to prepare for GGG is unfair. Nobody cares about Nate Diaz, & diaz always wanted to get a big payday...that's not a good comparison...Diaz is game to fight anybody any time (as long as he's not getting busted for drugs). McGregor was moving up in weight...& Connor is game to fight anybody any time. Perfect storm for Diaz. Not the same situation here.

And Loeffler's a boxing promoter. Nuff said.

Keep the GGG hype alive there! You do such a good job of it!

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post

As usual, Great Post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X