No announcement yet.

The myth of Thurman's power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Can we all put this to bed now? I told you all, if Thurman can't stop a middle aged, european level fighter ,he hasn't got world beating power. Porter literally walked through Thurman's punches after round 2 or 3 when he did get somewhat stunned. That was it.

That midget Broner hurt Porter worse.

Thurman ain't got world level power.
    What exactly is "European level?"

I didn't think fighters were ranked based on nationality. What is he'd struggled with an American level fighter? A Canadian level fighter? A Filipino level fighter?

Where do these silly terms even come from?

Comment

Shawn obviously has a quality chin and he was wobbled with more than a couple of shots.

Comment

Might as well say Kovalev has no world power since he couldn't KO a 50 year old Bernard Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          You lot are the ones that were overrating Thurman's "power". I kept telling you he doesn't have KO power at the highest level. When you can't stop a 40 year old Bundu then you're in trouble.

Thurman can punch but all of you are back tracking and trying to make out like you weren't all overrating his power. The guy caught Porter clean like 200 times and Porter just walked through it 199 times.

Thurman ain't one time. You can hate on me for saying it but it's the truth.
          OK clearly you just post stuff to get a reaction out of people. Since you want to play this little game lets play? Has Bundu ever been stopped? Has Porter Ever been Stopped?

Not only that but even if his Power is not as advertised WTF does that even mean exactly? Does that mean it will keep him from being a good fighter? Because Mayweather Dominated this Division and Timothy Bradley still remain at the top of this Division and we know neither is known for their Power. So what is the point exactly, he had enough Pop to back Porter off of him and hurt him a couple of times and Porter is as big of a Welterweight as it gets physically so I'm not sure what the argument is here or again may it is just for attention.

Boxing is more than just Raw Power, timing and catching the opponent with punches they don't see coming does the most damage. Thurman has more than enough POP to hurt anybody currently at 147 but he is also skilled enough to out-box most of them instead of just trying to walk in and overpower his opponent

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Punch-Out!! View Post
            Might as well say Kovalev has no world power since he couldn't KO a 50 year old Bernard Hopkins.
            Uh oh.....

You better watch what you say about non-American fighters.

Kovalev didn't want to KO Hopkins out of respect....yada yada.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              What exactly is "European level?"

I didn't think fighters were ranked based on nationality. What is he'd struggled with an American level fighter? A Canadian level fighter? A Filipino level fighter?

Where do these silly terms even come from?
              hehehehehe

Comment

He has above average power but he doesn't have great or fight changing power. A fighter with great power would have put Porter away with the amount of clean shots he hit him with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                  Uh oh.....

You better watch what you say about non-American fighters.

Kovalev didn't want to KO Hopkins out of respect....yada yada.
                  yeah but he has KOd just about everyone else and Hopkins is just a freak.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                    He has above average power but he doesn't have great or fight changing power. A fighter with great power would have put Porter away with the amount of clean shots he hit him with.
                    Exactly this!

Maybe I didn't articulate my argument well enough or people have just dragged me into a stupid discussion but this is what I'm getting at. Forget about stopping Porter, Thurman was landing cleanly on him and yet never once stunned him after the 3rd round when Porter got used to Thurman's punches.

There were 800 power punches thrown in that fight, if we say even an 1/8th of them landed on Porter, he shoulda been put to sleep by someone with power.

Comment

He has decent power but he certainly isn't one of the best punchers in the sport as some claim.

Good, spiteful puncher but not a one punch K.O artist or anything.

I personally think he feels he is a better puncher than he perhaps is as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X