Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO only offering $1 Million for Walters-Lomanchenko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol @ HBO being broke. HBO is the number 1 premium network by a large margin.

They arent going broke they're just cutting the expenses on a division that isnt producing ROI. I'm not gonna say it's ENTIRELY al hymies fault, but the days where guys like berto were making 1mil+ for themselves while fighting complete bums is over.

Hymie milked the cash cow for the last time. It's clear he's trying the same ****ty business strategy with PBC which is failing miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      You are correct but I still am hopeful that whatever network is left will copy UFC and make sure the best fights happen.

I think (maybe I am wrong) HBO or SHO could force the best fights if they put their foot down and said either make this fight or no TV date/money.
      I think HBO & Showtime got bigger fish to fry in TV entertainment than to worry too much about a sport with less & less interest by older & older fans than boxing offers them. I think this is why HBO has really done virtually nothing for boxing in general (besides making quality fights) with all the power they have had & continue to have today. HBO likely coulda pulled a Haymon/PBC type situation with their strength at one point & created a NFL of boxing themselves.

Comment

When Andre Berto gets $1M to fight Josesito Lopez, fighters ask for more than $435K in a matchup of the two best featherweights in the world.

Comment

When the best featherweights in the world a few years back Donaire and Rigondeaux got 1.33 million and 750k to fight each other...

and a few years before that Morales and Barrera got over $2 million each to fight each other.

The best featherweights of today cant be blamed for wanting a DECENT payday

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
            Per the fat guy at ESPN.

Check out danrafaelespn's Tweet: https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/st...484335104?s=09

How broke is HBO's budget really?

That's REALLY low for a fight like this.

Haymon is going to OWN boxing by 2018.
            To be fair, neither guy brings numbers. Not knocking skills, but they aren't names.

Comment

When the best featherweights in the world a few years back Donaire and Rigondeaux got 1.33 million and 750k to fight each other...

and a few years before that Morales and Barrera got over $2 million each to fight each other.

The best featherweights of today cant be blamed for wanting a DECENT payday
              the fighters you mentioned had followings (execpt rigo of course), and were known by more than just the hard-core fans. Donaires stock had been rising every fight since he sparked Darchinyan, and Morales / Barrera were VERY well known. 99.9% of people wouldnt know Walters or Loma if they were sitting next to them on the subway. Sure, its a great matchup that I would love to see, but its not HBOs responsibility to make that matchup if they dont feel the interest is strong enough from their subscriber base, which is who they cater to. Between the $1 million they offered, plus the live gate and other revenue streams, Arum should be able to get the fight made. I doubt theres enough money there to get Walters that million he wants, but too bad. $650k-750k is more than fair to a fighter of his status.

People need to stop acting as if HBO has some moral obligation to pay above retail price for a fight just because its a compelling matchup. Its 2 relatively obscure fighters who are under 135 pounds. And the fact that Haymon is willing / able to lose hundreds of millions of dollars (of other peoples money) doesnt mean everyone else is willing to do the same.
              Last edited by OnePunch; 03-15-2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                the fighters you mentioned had followings (execpt rigo of course), and were known by more than just the hard-core fans. Donaires stock had been rising every fight since he sparked Darchinyan, and Morales / Barrera were VERY well known. 99.9% of people wouldnt know Walters or Loma if they were sitting next to them on the subway. Sure, its a great matchup that I would love to see, but its not HBOs responsibility to make that matchup if they dont feel the interest is strong enough from their subscriber base, which is who they cater to. Between the $1 million they offered, plus the live gate and other revenue streams, Arum should be able to get the fight made. I doubt theres enough money there to get Walters that million he wants, but too bad. $650k-750k is more than fair to a fighter of his status.

People need to stop acting as if HBO has some moral obligation to pay above retail price for a fight just because its a compelling matchup. Its 2 relatively obscure fighters who are under 135 pounds. And the fact that Haymon is willing / able to lose hundreds of millions of dollars (of other peoples money) doesnt mean everyone else is willing to do the same.
                And that is the entire point... HBO is quickly becoming a second-tier boxing network that will likely pull the plug.

It's hilarious to watch.

When HBO is out of the game, Haymon can collapse purses to whatever level he wants to make PBC profitable.

Nothing anybody can do about it.

Comment

It will be very sad if hbo boxing goes away.....

Comment

I predict by 2020 boxing fans will be Kickstarting, GoFundMe, and setting up Patreons for boxing fights they want to see.

Comment

And that is the entire point... HBO is quickly becoming a second-tier boxing network that will likely pull the plug.

It's hilarious to watch.

When HBO is out of the game, Haymon can collapse purses to whatever level he wants to make PBC profitable.

Nothing anybody can do about it.
                      while I certainly agree that you touched on an integral part of the PBC long-term strategy, I sincerely doubt that HBO Boxing is going anywhere. The $30 million (or whatever amount they are allocating) is peanuts in the context of their overall budget. Same with Showtime. Even though Espinoza has pretty much ran the ratings into the ground, its budget is just crumbs when looking at parent CBS as a whole.

Bottom line is that IMO both HBO and Showtime will continue to buy content, and I dont expect either one to "go away".......

Comment

Working...
                      X