Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another myth: Mayweather moving up five divisions while GGG not willing to moveup one

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Pacquiao had no amateur career. When Floyd started amateurs he started in the same weight class Pacquiao started in as a pro. Your argument in the OP is that Golovkin has moved up, but counting his amateur career.
    But Pacquiao was a champ in eight division, was Floyd champ in eight divisions? no.. BTW I'm emulating the *****tard logic. That's what some one replied... Using the same argument GGG has moved up even more divisions. I don't think welterweight was his first division in amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
      Mayweather outgrew the divisions he fought in. So to say 'Mayweather moved up five, Golovkin hasnt even moved up one' is a little stupid. He's using an IV to make 147, or at least I hope so. He never moved up to 'dare to be great', in 4/5 divisions he fought in. Hes the best of this generation, but stop pretending little Floyd moved up at some great weight disadvantage for 'legacy'.

However, Mayweather moved up to 154 when he didn't need to, albeit against two former welterweights, and a catchweight of 152 for Canelo. He fought at 154 for the big money fights. Now to me, I dont see the difference between that and GGG fighting Froch/Chavez at 168, but Ward at 164. I'm not defending it at all, but its the same thing. Floyd felt Canelo was a much bigger risk than DLH/Cotto hence the stupid catchweight. Same for GGG/Ward.

'But Team GGG said 154-168 doe'

1. You fell for Team GGG's bs hype talk, and I actually feel bad for you. I'm surprised you believed the crap they come out with, eapecially as you know boxing is a business more than a sport.

2. Statements like these are not uncommon. Remember the 'I fight my opponents at their comfortable weight' fiasco? Bringing this up seems far too convenient for a lot of posters here, which is laughable if they didnt even believe it in the first place!

That being said, I think Ward is simply the better fighter. If they were both the same size, which theyre clearly not, I still think Ward dominates. Its just pathetic how I share that opinion with a set of idiots on here who use their hate of GGG as a follow on from their hate of HBO/Manny.. wanting him to lose so badly to get some sort of e-self gratification. Arent we supposed to be grown men?
      Floyd did not outgrow his divisions. He went up in weight to chase big money fights. He was weighing 2-3lbs above his scale weight at SFW and LW vs 145-147lb guys. He was weighing 2-3lbs above 140-147 vs guys weighing 160-165lbs, and 150 pounders at 140. He finally did become an actual WW after his comeback after 2007, where he only weighed 150lbs on the scale. Saying Floyd outgrew his divisions is actually quite stupid. He fights close to walk around weight, which is something not too many fighters do. If GGG did what Floyd does, he'd be fighting at 168. That is the plain truth, but you're gonna try to twist it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
        I have already debunked the myth that says that Mayweather is outweighed by 10-20 pounds each fight. See here.

Lets proceed with the next one: "Floyd took risks and moved up five divisions."

1) Mayweather did not move up five divisions.

He started professionally at 130. The maximum division he fought at was 154. Lets count:

130->135 = 1 move
        135->140 = 2 move
        140->147 = 3 move
        147->154 = 4 move

So he moved up 4 times, not 5.

Also, he became professional at 19 years old. So he didn't just move up, he grown up most of the time.

2) When Golovkin was 19 years old, he was fighting in the amateurs as a welterweight. He turned pro very late, at 24 years old. If we make the same comparison, he grown up two divisions.

147->154 = 1 move
        154->160 = 2 move

So he has moved up two times. I think that sometime in the future he will move up for a few fights at 168, like Mayweather did at 154.

3) I've also heard: "Even Ward moved up one division, he started at 160". Ward started at 160 when he was 20 years old in 2004. When he was 24, he was already a 168 fighter.

4) Fighters from the smaller divisions tend to be able to move up more divisions easily for two reasons:
        a) The divisions are separated by 4 or 5 pounds instead of 7 or 8.
        b) The fighters in the small divisions train differently, they are usually more skinny, and they still have margin for winning easy weight by changing the training method. The fighters in the bigger weights have no chance of naturally moving up more than one division. The only thing they can do is take steroids to grow muscle (like Roy Jones did to be able to move up)

and 5) You don't need to move up to prove you're great. Andre Ward can stay at 168 and I'll never criticize him for that. There's no need to criticize a fighter just because of jealousy. Ward had his moment in 2011-2012. Golovkin is having his moment now, let the guy be. He is beating anyone, winning all rounds, and KOing everyone.

6) If moving up in weight is what makes you great, then Pacquiao (moved up seven times) and DLH (moved up five times) are greater than Mayweather.

7) There's a pattern in 99% of his fights. He's the taller guy or the guy with more reach. He never fights being outsized. Being outsized is one of the risks of boxing, but he never takes that risk. He only did it a few times in all his career. He CAN make 160, but he knows it means losing the size advantage. Other fighters with less height than him, such as Cotto or Duran, have fought in the 160 division.
        Wtf is this bs!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Floyd did not outgrow his divisions. He went up in weight to chase big money fights. He was weighing 2-3lbs above his scale weight at SFW and LW vs 145-147lb guys. He was weighing 2-3lbs above 140-147 vs guys weighing 160-165lbs, and 150 pounders at 140. He finally did become an actual WW after his comeback after 2007, where he only weighed 150lbs on the scale. Saying Floyd outgrew his divisions is actually quite stupid. He fights close to walk around weight, which is something not too many fighters do. If GGG did what Floyd does, he'd be fighting at 168. That is the plain truth, but you're gonna try to twist it anyway.
          Can you show me examples of the weights youre referring to?

I was a big believer of Floyd fighting at his walk around weight, up until all the refusals to weigh in on the day. If he barely needs to lose weight to make 147, whats with the IV? I refuse to believe its to mask PEDs, maybe stupidly so. Why would he be dehydrated to lose 3lb?

Your last point, Floyd weighs around 150 30 days from a fight, according to the WBC. Golovkin weighs 165, again according to the WBC. Thats 3lb and 5lb. Surely Golovkin should he fighting at 160 using your logic, not 168. Not sure how i'm twisting anything there, especially considering i'm not even a fan of, or really that impressed with, Golovkin.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
              Then Floyd needs to go to LHW to prove he's as great as Pacquiao.
              Why would he need to do that when he already beat manny?...isn't he already rated higher than manny on boxrec?😂

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post

The weight difference between Ortiz and Mayweather is quite shocking

Are you saying he hasn't outgrown 140 based on those pictures though? I find it hard to believe Floyd would cut 6lb that easily, especially knowing that A. he's ALWAYS in shape, and looked dead trim at the weigh-in, and B. he used an IV to rehydrate after cutting 3lb recently, albeit uncertain as to how long this practice has gone on for.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post

Mayweather won titles in five divisions. Yes, he moved up four times.
                  ^This.
                  Lol @ TS not comprehending the most basic of math. That genius just told me what an idiot he thought I was. For all my faults, on most days I can at least manage to calculate that 1 + 4 = 5.

I haven't seen someone fk themself that hard in a long time.

[/I][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                    The weight difference between Ortiz and Mayweather is quite shocking

Are you saying he hasn't outgrown 140 based on those pictures though? I find it hard to believe Floyd would cut 6lb that easily, especially knowing that A. he's ALWAYS in shape, and looked dead trim at the weigh-in, and B. he used an IV to rehydrate after cutting 3lb recently, albeit uncertain as to how long this practice has gone on for.
                    Great posts bro. By their logic GGG needs to move up to HW to be as great as Floyd. I've said it before and I'll say it again GGG is going after big money fights like Canelo Cotto winner then he will unify th MW division then move up to 168 where he will finish his career. He doesn't have much room to grow he is already a smaller MW. But you can't argue with people who have agendas (Floyd fans).

Comment

Nah I'll wait till Mythbusters does an episode on this

Comment

Working...
                      X