Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another myth: Mayweather moving up five divisions while GGG not willing to moveup one

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another myth: Mayweather moving up five divisions while GGG not willing to moveup one

I have already debunked the myth that says that Mayweather is outweighed by 10-20 pounds each fight. See here.

Lets proceed with the next one: "Floyd took risks and moved up five divisions."

1) Mayweather did not move up five divisions.

He started professionally at 130. The maximum division he fought at was 154. Lets count:

130->135 = 1 move
    135->140 = 2 move
    140->147 = 3 move
    147->154 = 4 move

So he moved up 4 times, not 5.

Also, he became professional at 19 years old. So he didn't just move up, he grown up most of the time.

2) When Golovkin was 19 years old, he was fighting in the amateurs as a welterweight. He turned pro very late, at 24 years old. If we make the same comparison, he grown up two divisions.

147->154 = 1 move
    154->160 = 2 move

So he has moved up two times. I think that sometime in the future he will move up for a few fights at 168, like Mayweather did at 154.

3) I've also heard: "Even Ward moved up one division, he started at 160". Ward started at 160 when he was 20 years old in 2004. When he was 24, he was already a 168 fighter.

4) Fighters from the smaller divisions tend to be able to move up more divisions easily for two reasons:
    a) The divisions are separated by 4 or 5 pounds instead of 7 or 8.
    b) The fighters in the small divisions train differently, they are usually more skinny, and they still have margin for winning easy weight by changing the training method. The fighters in the bigger weights have no chance of naturally moving up more than one division. The only thing they can do is take steroids to grow muscle (like Roy Jones did to be able to move up)

and 5) You don't need to move up to prove you're great. Andre Ward can stay at 168 and I'll never criticize him for that. There's no need to criticize a fighter just because of jealousy. Ward had his moment in 2011-2012. Golovkin is having his moment now, let the guy be. He is beating anyone, winning all rounds, and KOing everyone.

6) If moving up in weight is what makes you great, then Pacquiao (moved up seven times) and DLH (moved up five times) are greater than Mayweather.

7) There's a pattern in 99% of his fights. He's the taller guy or the guy with more reach. He never fights being outsized. Being outsized is one of the risks of boxing, but he never takes that risk. He only did it a few times in all his career. He CAN make 160, but he knows it means losing the size advantage. Other fighters with less height than him, such as Cotto or Duran, have fought in the 160 division.
    Last edited by _Maxi; 11-10-2015, 10:42 PM.

TS sucks dick

Comment

Grasping at straws buddy. Wtf are you even trying to say in number 2?

Comment

Did he fight the best in the next upper division every time he move up?

Comment

How is Mayweather moving up 5 divisions a myth?

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post

He started professionally at 130. The maximum division he fought at was 154. Lets count:

130->135 = 1 move
            135->140 = 2 move
            140->147 = 3 move
            147->154 = 4 move

Also, he became professional at 19 years old. So he didn't just move up, he grown up most of the time.

2) When Golovkin was 19 years old, he was fighting in the amateurs as a welterweight. He turned pro very late, at 24 years old. If we make the same comparison, he grown up two divisions.

147->154 = 1 move
            154->160 = 2 move

So he has moved up two times. I think that sometime in the future he will move up for a few fights at 168, like Mayweather did at 154.

3) I've also heard: "Even Ward moved up one division, he started at 160". Ward started at 160 when he was 20 years old in 2004. When he was 24, he was already a 168 fighter.

4) Fighters from the smaller divisions tend to be able to move up more divisions easily for two reasons:
            b) The fighters in the small divisions train differently, they are usually more skinny, and they still have margin for winning easy weight by changing the training method. The fighters in the bigger weights have no chance of naturally moving up more than one division. The only thing they can do is take steroids to grow muscle (like Roy Jones did to be able to move up)

and 5) You don't need to move up to prove you're great. Andre Ward can stay at 168 and I'll never criticize him for that. There's no need to criticize a fighter just because of jealousy. Ward had his moment in 2011-2012. Golovkin is having his moment now, let the guy be. He is beating anyone, winning all rounds, and KOing everyone.
            Champion in 5 weight classes...I guess that's what they mean...so that's being a champion in 5 weight classes...still impressive...I'm hoping Triple G can match him if he goes up each weight class to heavyweight...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post

130->135 = 1 move
                135->140 = 2 move
                140->147 = 3 move
                147->154 = 4 move

147->154 = 1 move
                154->160 = 2 move

Comment

Mayweather moved up four times. the TS is right in that assessment. But the rest he said was nonsense. GGG has been pro for ten years. And after fighting for ten years still hasn't moved up once. In ten years Floyd had moved up three times and defeated champions each time he moved up. GGG has done nothing even close to that. Floyd at 33 had already accomplished far more than GGG has at 33. Of course people want to see him do more, he's not getting any younger.

Comment

Mayweather won titles in five divisions. Yes, he moved up four times.

Comment

Working...
                    X