No announcement yet.

New Names Up For HOF Vote

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Too many hall of famers imo. Yearly inductees make it so that there are a pack of fillers that were not really great.
    I don't think that's the issue. There are deserving fighters on the ballot who still aren't in. Bigger issue is that sometimes, IMO, name recognition in the US *****s other consideration based on a US heavy voting pool. Most of the fighters in the Hall are well deserving. There really aren't that many outright bad picks, though some are questionable. Everyone added to the ballot this year may or may not be deserving of entry; all earned a vote. Outstanding careers. Arbachakov and Chitalada can both be argued as among the top 25 Flyweights in history. Camacho was Camacho.

Comment

Do you think it would make the IBHOF more exclusive if it every 4-5 years instead of every year? That way writers would be more picky about it and not just any fighrer could be considered?
      I think so for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
        Hernandez doesn't belong in the hall of fame, it would be shameful if he was inducted.
        He did more than McGuigan and Gatti. He was 130 lineal champ. He only lost to 2 guys, both All Time Greats, DLH and Mayweather. One loss at 130. His DLH loss was at 135lbs, the only time he fought above 130. He went back to 130 and became 130 champ. He is one of Boxingscenes top 20 (#8 rank) greatest Super Featherweights of all time
        http://www.boxingscene.com/-top-20-j...ll-time--18873

But I know why you said what you said, one sole reason. You know why. It's alright though.

Comment

He did more than McGuigan and Gatti. He was 130 lineal champ. He only lost to 2 guys, both All Time Greats, DLH and Mayweather. One loss at 130. His DLH loss was at 135lbs, the only time he fought above 130. He went back to 130 and became 130 champ. He is one of Boxingscenes top 20 (#8 rank) greatest Super Featherweights of all time
          http://www.boxingscene.com/-top-20-j...ll-time--18873

But I know why you said what you said, one sole reason. You know why. It's alright though.
          He's got a case but I wouldn't have voted for McGuigan and did NOT vote for Gatti. We can only vote for five and not sure he's one of the five best on the ballot this year. As to those ratings, he would probably still rate high. Working on redoing all the Jr. classes. I used a formula for those that had varied results.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            He's got a case but I wouldn't have voted for McGuigan and did NOT vote for Gatti. We can only vote for five and not sure he's one of the five best on the ballot this year. As to those ratings, he would probably still rate high. Working on redoing all the Jr. classes. I used a formula for those that had varied results.
            Do you think since Arbachakov and Chitalada are top 25 Flyweights, and Hernandez can be considered top 10 SFW, he actually has more of chance at the HOF?

Comment

Do you think since Arbachakov and Chitalada are top 25 Flyweights, and Hernandez can be considered top 10 SFW, he actually has more of chance at the HOF?
              I think Chicanito has a better shot because more voters probably watched him fight. That's not everything. It helps. This is going to be an odd year. Might be some surprises. I'm leaning to Benn, Eubank, Laciar, and Zapata...not sure who I'll go with fifth.I labor over this every year. Somewhere, some fighter and/or their family are wondering when its their turn. I take as much care as I can.

Greatness in a class counts for a lot...in certain classes...and with TV in certain countries (just an opine on voting...no quantitative). Mark Johnson went in first ballot. Pone Kingpetch still isn't in and only one beat bad ass HOFers for titles (note: not Too Sharp). Took the ballot's realigning what is considered modern last year for Masao Ohba and Yoko Gushiken to finally get decades overdue calls to the Hall.
              Last edited by crold1; 10-05-2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Do you think it would make the IBHOF more exclusive if it every 4-5 years instead of every year? That way writers would be more picky about it and not just any fighrer could be considered?
                Waiting for several years is actually a good idea. Wouldn't surprise me if we see someone like Broner, Ward or Pavlik on there with the current standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                  Waiting for several years is actually a good idea. Wouldn't surprise me if we see someone like Broner, Ward or Pavlik on there with the current standards.
                  Again, it's not a good idea at all. Limit the inductees further? Maybe. No class for 4 years? No HOF. Induction weekend keeps doors open. It's a private museum and a great annual affair for boxing fans.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Again, it's not a good idea at all. Limit the inductees further? Maybe. No class for 4 years? No HOF. Induction weekend keeps doors open. It's a private museum and a great annual affair for boxing fans.
                    I understand where you're coming from but even limiting the inductees will saturate the HOF. It's looking more like quantity than quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                      I understand where you're coming from but even limiting the inductees will saturate the HOF. It's looking more like quantity than quality.
                      There have always been some (IMO) questionable picks like McGuigan, Gatti, Mancini...the overwhelming majority inducted have the merit. I think the saturation argument is overstated. Boxing isn't football. There is no multi-billion $ body to underwrite the enterprise. What we have is imperfect but still outstanding. And less inductees doesn't really solve for matinee idol picks. There were flat better fighters on the ballot. The way voting works, it's top 3 vote getters. There is no 'needs 70%' or whatever threshold. I don't like that but I've heard it defended by those who point to this as a sport predicated on individual draws more than any other. There's more than one way to look at it.
                      Last edited by crold1; 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X