No announcement yet.

PPV Industry Source: Being Generous "Mayweather-Berto May Hit 550,000 Buys"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rath View Post
    thought Floyd fans says Floyd alone can do million plus PPV the dance partner just an icing on the cake

that is why Floyd fans said Pac only deserves 10% of the ppv share
    So Mayweather fans are now your official source? Lol..

Comment

• Half a million PPV buys at $75 a pop is incredible, especially with such a lacklustre opponent.

Floyd gets money... he just gets it!

Comment

• Damn, in Floyds hometown no less.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Oh well that's just common knowledge and common sense.

Every one needs a dance partner.

Take Oscar, one of the biggest stars of all time. Look at his first fight Shane Mosley (mostly unknown at the time) they did 600K whereas Oscar Trinidad a year prior did 1.5 Million.

Take Mike Tyson, one of the biggest stars of all time. Look at his fight with Francis Botha, 750 K whereas two years prior did 2 million with Holyfield.

Then look at his fight with Golota, South of 500K.

Manny Pacquaio, huge star. South of 500 k with Algeri and Rios.

Cotto and Canelo, not huge Stars but big names. Both did around 300k mark against Martinez and Angulo respectively.

Point is, it doesn't matter how big of a star you are you always need a dance partner.

The only exception to the rule is Tyson-McNeely and that is largely down to it being Tyson's first fight back from a Prison stretch.

And I guess the Seldon fight aswell. Kind of comparable to Mayweather-Ortiz perhaps.
          Your numbers doesn't prove anything.

Oscar/Shane drop was 60% from the Trinidad LOSS

Tyson/Botha happened 2 YEARS after Tyson/Holyfield LOSSES. Even then that was only 62.5% drop. And at the time, great numbers. By the time he got to Golota, people were tiring of his circus act which was 3 years after the Holyfield losses.

Pacquiao was coming off LOSSES (1 a devastating KO) and about a 1 year hiatus vs Algieri and Rios, so ofcourse the numbers were going to be low.

Now lets look at the facts for Fraud IV's fight with Berto

Fraud/Berto had a 87.5% DROP in PPV sales from his fight just 4 moths ago! And he was the WINNER in the Pac fight.

550,000 to any other fighter not named Mayweather would be a huge success

The PPV revenue would be just north of $40 million, Fraud was paid 32 million and Berto 4 million. That leaves a little over 4-5 million. Then take away from promotion and advertising, that leaves you with almost nothing. Not to mention that the fight didn't sell out the MGM.

This was a disaster in epic proportions, people can spin it all they want, by saying "well Showtime get their money in May" B.S. Nobody likes to lose money N-O-B-O-D-Y! Tell me how you'd feel if you worked on a job, got a huge paycheck, one of the biggest you've ever gotten, take a few months off, go buy stuff, put money down on a new house, car, clothes, take your girl out to eat at expensive restaurants, then go back work do the same job but this time you don't make a paycheck and lose money that you invested in. You think you're still thinking about last your last job? Well that's how Showtime is feeling right now.

Comment

• Real # will come out and be higher.

Comment

• 550k is very low for Floyd. Of course when you make this kind of fight that is to be expected.

I wonder if Cotto/Canelo exceeds this number.

Comment

• i bought that crap lol

decent undercard, but WTF was a shopworn andre berto doing in a PPV main event?

i'm not even joking when i tell you i fell asleep. i woke up in the 8th round of the main event.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  550k is very low for Floyd. Of course when you make this kind of fight that is to be expected.

I wonder if Cotto/Canelo exceeds this number.
                  Hopefully it does. Floyd and Showtime have made their profit -- I'm not losing sleep over one bad number and neither are they. Would be nice if Cotto-Canelo hits a mil. I'll take 600K as a sign boxing is strong.

Comment

• Not that surprising if the numbers are low.

Fighters who build themselves up to be hated sell well because fans tune in to see if someone can beat him up.

Theres approx 0% chance of Berto ever beating Mayweather.

Add into that the driving force of Floyd and Mannys rivalry/ marketability (will they fight? Who will win?) has now happened and it was a complete non event.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Hopefully it does. Floyd and Showtime have made their profit -- I'm not losing sleep over one bad number and neither are they. Would be nice if Cotto-Canelo hits a mil. I'll take 600K as a sign boxing is strong.
                      Showtime/CBS made money on the deal. They discussed options for any return fights and didn't exercise the out clause on the deal. Their regular programming may have gotten burned a bit by PBC though.

As for cotto/canelo, It should do more. If GGG/Lemeuix can hit what Floyd did with Gatti then I thinkla Canelo/GGG fight to get near Manny/ODH 1.25 mil.

Comment

Working...
                      X